Having A Go At Toyota

snowflake

Favourite Pick Up  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why is it that everyone has to have a go at the Toyota? Is it really that bad? :o

A mate of mine has a Toyota and another one has a Toyota, and guess what I have a Toyota and several of my Thai friends has a Toyota as well (all Vigo's).

None of us have had any problems with them. The longest running one is was bought in 2004 I think just when it got out, mine in 2005 but I have driven 70000Km in it now, never missed a beat (unlike the Triton that was in the shop every 3 weeks).

How come so many people here feel the need to slag off Toyota? I like it, it looks nice, handles nice, and very good fuel economy (when I drive like a normal person).

Is the Vigo so much worse than the rest? or is it just have a go at the bigget company and the most normal pick up you see on the road?

Yes I do know that the Izusu looks nice, so does the Navara. The Ford and the Mazda looks like <deleted> (my feelings). But the Triton is different, it just stands out from a design point of view.

What is the biggest difference between those pick up's?

So please tell me why you feel the need to slag of a good pick up...

Just a point.

I know two people who have had accidents in Toyotas (Sportrider and Fortuna). The accidents were both virtually head-on and in neither case did the airbags inflate.

Were they Thai? If they were. they almost certainly weren't wearing seatbelts.

Just a point.

I know two people who have had accidents in Toyotas (Sportrider and Fortuna). The accidents were both virtually head-on and in neither case did the airbags inflate.

Were they Thai? If they were. they almost certainly weren't wearing seatbelts.

Both farangs Mick. One was wearing, one was not. The latter is still in a coma after 9 months.

I have probably been in Thailand longer than most. I have had three Toyota pickups. The first one was great and I loved it. The second one was so so but there was no love affair. The third one was a plain lemon. It was a 3.0 liter non turbo 4X4 four door. There was always something wrong with it and it had no power. I like to feel that I can trust my vehicles. That last one soured me and I refuse to have another Toyota product. It just appears to me that they have slipped as far as quality and that they are resting on their previous excellent reputation. I judge engines by power, but mostly by efficiency. Toyota is very near the bottom as far as fuel economy. Isuzu (Chevy) and Ford are at the top.

Why is it that everyone has to have a go at the Toyota? Is it really that bad? :o

A mate of mine has a Toyota and another one has a Toyota, and guess what I have a Toyota and several of my Thai friends has a Toyota as well (all Vigo's).

None of us have had any problems with them. The longest running one is was bought in 2004 I think just when it got out, mine in 2005 but I have driven 70000Km in it now, never missed a beat (unlike the Triton that was in the shop every 3 weeks).

How come so many people here feel the need to slag off Toyota? I like it, it looks nice, handles nice, and very good fuel economy (when I drive like a normal person).

Is the Vigo so much worse than the rest? or is it just have a go at the bigget company and the most normal pick up you see on the road?

Yes I do know that the Izusu looks nice, so does the Navara. The Ford and the Mazda looks like <deleted> (my feelings). But the Triton is different, it just stands out from a design point of view.

What is the biggest difference between those pick up's?

So please tell me why you feel the need to slag of a good pick up...

There will always be those that drive other brands and will stick up for them through thick and thin ( look at harley riders ! ),.the botom line is toyota IS the most reliable brand and although you may not like the look or some models or some of the people that drive them facts is facts,. :D

When I first came to Thailand in 1991, the very first vehicle I had was a brand new shiny Isuzu. I didn't buy it, the company furnished it. What a piece of crap it was. Noisy and the engine shook so bad the fenders flapped. A guy I worked with had a Toyota. It was a great truck. Unfortunately he seldom let me drive it. He refused to drive the Isuzu.

Thing seem to have reversed over the years. Isuzu has made vast improvements and Toyota has gone backwards.

I've been driving my 4x4 vigo double cab for 5 months. I find it very bumpy over slightly uneven surface and at times seems unstable. My truck is in it's original including those 265/70r16 michilin tyres inflated to 30psi when measured cold, the recommended shown at the door sill was 29psi. The ride quality of this truck is poor, too frequent gear changes required at slow speed town driving ( manual version) plus the longthrow shifting felt rubbery. The clutch is hard as well.

To confirmed the above comments I'm comparing it with my 11years old Toyota hilux mighty x which is still with me from new. To me looks are not very important but the handling is,especially the suspension work. I'm sure every owner by now should knew the vigo well. This new model discourage my next buy from Toyota just because of one issue, the ride is too bumpy be it the suspension,tyres or technical cause if remained unattended by the manufacturer will seriously affect the next to buy decision especially during this booming vehicle purchasing era in Thailand.

I've been driving my 4x4 vigo double cab for 5 months. I find it very bumpy over slightly uneven surface and at times seems unstable. My truck is in it's original including those 265/70r16 michilin tyres inflated to 30psi when measured cold, the recommended shown at the door sill was 29psi. The ride quality of this truck is poor, too frequent gear changes required at slow speed town driving ( manual version) plus the longthrow shifting felt rubbery. The clutch is hard as well.

To confirmed the above comments I'm comparing it with my 11years old Toyota hilux mighty x which is still with me from new. To me looks are not very important but the handling is,especially the suspension work. I'm sure every owner by now should knew the vigo well. This new model discourage my next buy from Toyota just because of one issue, the ride is too bumpy be it the suspension,tyres or technical cause if remained unattended by the manufacturer will seriously affect the next to buy decision especially during this booming vehicle purchasing era in Thailand.

I have the Vigo 4x2 and cannot agree on any of these points. When I first bought it, it seemed bumpy but by simply let the tires down to 30 psi worked wonders. In no way does it feel bumpy or unstable whatsoever and I think it drives really fast and very smooth for a pickup. Absolutely perfect drive for me and Iwould absolutely recommend it to others.

As for frequent gear changes, surely thats down to your driving style.......

JAF

A very happy Vigo owner

I think manufacturers go too far in expecting brand loyalty even when their vehicle offerings are subpar. The Vigo is no where near the best pickup that Toyota can produce, and if you''ve ever driven a Tundra you'll know I'm right. It's just a model they think is "good enough for Thais".

I think manufacturers go too far in expecting brand loyalty even when their vehicle offerings are subpar. The Vigo is no where near the best pickup that Toyota can produce, and if you''ve ever driven a Tundra you'll know I'm right. It's just a model they think is "good enough for Thais".

And cheap enough for the Thais too. The Vigo spec for the UK is superior but then so is the price..........wouldn't this also apply to the Tundra, how expensive are they in comparison ??

Actually my only complaint about the Vigo is the rather bland interior......... and the prohibitively expensive extras available from the local Toyota dealer....... I quite fancied having the wooden plastic decor thingy for the front console til I seen it was over 9000 bht........<deleted>.

Dont suppose anyone could recommend a good website for ordering such bits and pieces at realistic prices

Cheers

JAF

And cheap enough for the Thais too. The Vigo spec for the UK is superior but then so is the price..........wouldn't this also apply to the Tundra, how expensive are they in comparison ??

Actually my only complaint about the Vigo is the rather bland interior......... and the prohibitively expensive extras available from the local Toyota dealer....... I quite fancied having the wooden plastic decor thingy for the front console til I seen it was over 9000 bht........<deleted>.

Dont suppose anyone could recommend a good website for ordering such bits and pieces at realistic prices

Cheers

JAF

Yes, it's more expensive because of the specs. Bigger, more powerful. I'm not talking about specs though. I'm talking about quality. It's engineering and quality control during maufacture is just at a whole 'nother level. The consumers who would buy it, demand that it be.

And brits, and brazilians,and aussies,and trinidadians ! and ,shall i go on ? no i think its not a thai thing at all, yesterday we witnessed thai built 4 litre petrol engined vigos and other variations being loaded on to ships at chon buri, its a world wide seller,

Cheers

JAF

if you mean the 7 peice wood trim kit its recommended retail is 3500 baht ,from toyota !. email me for details

I have a 3 year-old Colorado which I bought 18 months ago from Expat Motors. It's the first pickup I've ever had so any points I make would probably apply to all pickups. Didn't have one in mind at all when I arrived but it just happened that the car hire place in KK that I always used on previous visits were out of cars and all they had was a D-Max. I drove that thing for a few weeks and, it being the rainy season and my place being at the end of a muddy track and having to go to Home Pro etc, came around to the idea of actually buying one. Yep, so it has an ancient rear suspension, it's thirsty, it's crude. But it's tough and, so far, reliable. I probably shan't replace it with another pickup though. The only thing I really like about them is the high driving position and the versatility. The very qualities that my Renault Scenic had back in the UK.

With the quality of the road surface here, pickups are probably the worst thing to drive. I've often wondered though if the rear suspension from the Fortuner could be bolted onto a Vigo. No point if it's regularly loaded-up but for a typical expat, it might be an interesting project. Ok, it's still a live axle but at least it ditches the leaf springs. Ever been done, does anyone know?

BTW I'm buying a new Vigo 4 doors 4x4 3.0 AT (black) next week, and I'm really excited about it. It's gonna be my first new truck.

Great stuff! How will we know it's you with the other trillion black vigos here? Please just a few things, don't tailagate other cars at stupid speeds, don't fash your headlights like you own the <deleted> road, I'm tempted to buy one of those 10 tonne Hinos, and cut up all vigo drivers and act like i'm king of the road. :o

BTW I'm buying a new Vigo 4 doors 4x4 3.0 AT (black) next week, and I'm really excited about it. It's gonna be my first new truck.

Great stuff! How will we know it's you with the other trillion black vigos here? Please just a few things, don't tailagate other cars at stupid speeds, don't fash your headlights like you own the <deleted> road, I'm tempted to buy one of those 10 tonne Hinos, and cut up all vigo drivers and act like i'm king of the road. :o

But Globeliner, you're forgetting; they have lightning reflexes. :D

BTW, I voted for Mitsubishi. I like them just because they're different.

Edited by micksterbs

I have a 3 year-old Colorado which I bought 18 months ago from Expat Motors. It's the first pickup I've ever had so any points I make would probably apply to all pickups. Didn't have one in mind at all when I arrived but it just happened that the car hire place in KK that I always used on previous visits were out of cars and all they had was a D-Max. I drove that thing for a few weeks and, it being the rainy season and my place being at the end of a muddy track and having to go to Home Pro etc, came around to the idea of actually buying one. Yep, so it has an ancient rear suspension, it's thirsty, it's crude. But it's tough and, so far, reliable. I probably shan't replace it with another pickup though. The only thing I really like about them is the high driving position and the versatility. The very qualities that my Renault Scenic had back in the UK.

With the quality of the road surface here, pickups are probably the worst thing to drive. I've often wondered though if the rear suspension from the Fortuner could be bolted onto a Vigo. No point if it's regularly loaded-up but for a typical expat, it might be an interesting project. Ok, it's still a live axle but at least it ditches the leaf springs. Ever been done, does anyone know?

i think it can, take a look at this rear brake conversion i saw on a fortuner yesterday, the brembo covers are fake, the brake set up is very odd,. !

post-41326-1200670723_thumb.jpg

post-41326-1200670744_thumb.jpg

post-41326-1200670774_thumb.jpg

ive had a vigo 4x4 auto 3 litre for 3 years now , nothing has broken , nothing has cracked , nothing has fallen off or come loose and nothing has failed (except the battery , it was replaced last week).

toyota service has been superb ( sukhumvit phrom pong , hua hin and pranburi ). they have collected from and returned the car to my home , explained all aspects of the servicing and done extra system checks when asked , and never charged for those checks.

yes, it is a cheaply built vehicle , with cheap interiors and low grade plastics but then it is a thai pick up truck , and underneath it is crude but strong , with an excellent engine , built for practicality before luxury for the thai market which does not yet demand the niceties and comforts on their pick ups that are now demanded and expected by the usa or european market. its a truck for gods sake , not a car.

they are all the same , isuzu , ford , mitsubishi etc. they all drive bumpy and they will all tip over if you corner too fast in them. they cant be driven with the same verve as cars.

i chose the toyota because the interior is brighter and roomier than all the rest and because the ride seemed smoother than the others. i also got a sizeable discount when i bought it which tipped the deal.

the isuzu was a rough and noisy bastard with very poor access to the rear seats , my brother in laws both have isuzus and have had endless mechanical problems with them , (especially the gearboxes ... 2 cars , 4 new gearboxes).

the mitsubishi (old model) was the best looking pick up but was also a clunker. the new one might be more sophisticated but the design grates.

so long as they remain considerably cheaper than cars i would buy another , and would heartily recommend the vigo in preference to isuzu , mitsubishi , ford and mazda.

toyotas are not the worlds number 1 for nothing.

ive had a vigo 4x4 auto 3 litre for 3 years now , nothing has broken , nothing has cracked , nothing has fallen off or come loose and nothing has failed (except the battery , it was replaced last week).

toyota service has been superb ( sukhumvit phrom pong , hua hin and pranburi ). they have collected from and returned the car to my home , explained all aspects of the servicing and done extra system checks when asked , and never charged for those checks.

yes, it is a cheaply built vehicle , with cheap interiors and low grade plastics but then it is a thai pick up truck , and underneath it is crude but strong , with an excellent engine , built for practicality before luxury for the thai market which does not yet demand the niceties and comforts on their pick ups that are now demanded and expected by the usa or european market. its a truck for gods sake , not a car.

they are all the same , isuzu , ford , mitsubishi etc. they all drive bumpy and they will all tip over if you corner too fast in them. they cant be driven with the same verve as cars.

i chose the toyota because the interior is brighter and roomier than all the rest and because the ride seemed smoother than the others. i also got a sizeable discount when i bought it which tipped the deal.

the isuzu was a rough and noisy bastard with very poor access to the rear seats , my brother in laws both have isuzus and have had endless mechanical problems with them , (especially the gearboxes ... 2 cars , 4 new gearboxes).

the mitsubishi (old model) was the best looking pick up but was also a clunker. the new one might be more sophisticated but the design grates.

so long as they remain considerably cheaper than cars i would buy another , and would heartily recommend the vigo in preference to isuzu , mitsubishi , ford and mazda.

toyotas are not the worlds number 1 for nothing.

Yeah, exactly. I think you just abandon any expectations of pleasure or reward when actually driving the thing compared to a car. But that's understood; it's a horses-for-courses situation and a pickup's strengths lie elsewhere. Also, as you so rightly say, it's a lot of vehicle for the money. When I was looking to buy, I just couldn't argue with the good value of most pickups; especially when mine was 2 years-old and had only done under 15,000km. And was absolutely pristine, to boot.

As for Toyota being the world's No 1, well, you can't argue with that. But I wonder how much of that, in Thailand, is down to the Thai "me too" mentality. Look at the motorbike market over here. I would venture to say that there's nothing to choose between Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki in terms of product, dealer coverage, aftersales care etc, etc. Yet Honda probably sell more than the other two combined. There is a compulsion to conform to the norm over here which you see in every facet of daily life. If someone said that the polo shirt for this month is orange with blue spots, everyone would be after them!

Vigo has consistenly being voted the best pickup truck in Thailand by Bangkok Post motoring journous, and those people are as anti-Toyota as they come. Vigo is the only model they endorse from that company.

Do you think they are all wrong?

As for "mee too" mentality - you should look at Isuzu-Toyota rivalry, five-ten years ago it was something like 2:1 ratio, then Vigo came out and closed the gap. It took Toyota three years to eventually overcome Isuzu in sales.

That kind of growth acceleration doesn't come from reputation, it needs to be earned by selling a vehicle people like. When Vigo came out Isuzu was the one who could be accused of selling crap and relying on brand image only, but by now the market has corrected itself already.

As for comparing with cars - you don't get any fun in that price range either, only "economy class" cars with smallest engines possible.

As for Toyota being the world's No 1, well, you can't argue with that. But I wonder how much of that, in Thailand, is down to the Thai "me too" mentality. Look at the motorbike market over here. I would venture to say that there's nothing to choose between Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki in terms of product, dealer coverage, aftersales care etc, etc. Yet Honda probably sell more than the other two combined. There is a compulsion to conform to the norm over here which you see in every facet of daily life. If someone said that the polo shirt for this month is orange with blue spots, everyone would be after them!

Good post. The me too mentality is alive and well here in Thailand. My wife's last motorbike was a Honda Wave. She hated it because she had to play with the choke for the first five minutes it ran. Stalling and bucking even with the choke. The dealer told her that was normal. She now has a Suzuki Best. The Suzuki has a LOT more power and is not cold blooded like the Honda was. She doesn't have to use the choke at all. The Suzuki starts the first kick and never stalls. One kind of odd thing is that she has never had a motorbike with an electric starter and doesn't want one. I insisted on an electric starter but the up country dealer didn't have one in stock so no electric start this time either. Honda motorbike and Toyota lovers are hard to convert.

Edited by Gary A

Look at the dynamics - Vigo had the fastest growing following, it doesn't need to protect its own flock. It's Isuzu fans that are hard to convert, but not impossible, as Vigo has shown.

Though if you talk about conversion from Toyota to Mitsu or Nissan - then yes, it's hard to ween them off their Vigos. The fact that Vigo sells five times more trucks doesn't mean they are five times better, that's why I said - compare them to Isuzu, Toyota's only rival.

BTW, Toyota hasn't had non-turbo diesels since forever, Gary. You got some facts wrong about your "lemon".

Look at the dynamics - Vigo had the fastest growing following, it doesn't need to protect its own flock. It's Isuzu fans that are hard to convert, but not impossible, as Vigo has shown.

Though if you talk about conversion from Toyota to Mitsu or Nissan - then yes, it's hard to ween them off their Vigos. The fact that Vigo sells five times more trucks doesn't mean they are five times better, that's why I said - compare them to Isuzu, Toyota's only rival.

BTW, Toyota hasn't had non-turbo diesels since forever, Gary. You got some facts wrong about your "lemon".

You better do some checking. I DO know what I owned. It was NOT a D4D. It WAS a 3.0 liter 4 door 4X4 NON turbo diesel.

post-17093-1201094449_thumb.jpg

Good post. The me too mentality is alive and well here in Thailand. My wife's last motorbike was a Honda Wave. She hated it because she had to play with the choke for the first five minutes it ran. Stalling and bucking even with the choke. The dealer told her that was normal. She now has a Suzuki Best. The Suzuki has a LOT more power and is not cold blooded like the Honda was. She doesn't have to use the choke at all. The Suzuki starts the first kick and never stalls. One kind of odd thing is that she has never had a motorbike with an electric starter and doesn't want one. I insisted on an electric starter but the up country dealer didn't have one in stock so no electric start this time either. Honda motorbike and Toyota lovers are hard to convert.

Haha, yeah, I know what you mean. My wife just automatically bought a Honda; didn't even cross her mind to look at anything else. I wanted to have a good look at the Yamaha Spark 135 which I reckon is a little beaut. She waited until I popped back to Blighty for a few weeks. Grrr...