Pickpocket At Asoke-nana

mauiguy90

I was walking from Asoke to Nana with some friends on Wednesday when I felt a slight tug on my backpack. I then noticed that one of the zippered pockets was open, to find out my wallet was missing! Quickly turned around to see a thai guy running around the corner. I was lucky that a thai woman yelled "Kamoey, kamoey, ...." He apparently threw the wallet on the ground then strangely, walked slowly back away, as if he was not involved. My friend grabbed the wallet for me and I ran after the guy, who ducked into the parking lot of a condo in Sukhumvit 6. He stopped running again, then did that slow walk again like he was not involved. I grabbed his arm and he said he didn't take anything.

Although we caught him and I asked the security to call the police, they did nothing except growl when my friend pushed him to prevent him from running away. The security looked like they were about to jump us, so I let him go. So much for protecting the residents from thieves! A couple people outside in the soi were helpful in calling out when the incident happened but nobody else did anything, although they seemed surprised when we let the guy go.

Just a warning for those walking the area. The pickpocket apparently followed us from Sukhumvit 12 to Sukhumvit 6, according to another friend who had seen him earlier.

i smell a rat.

how would a pickpocket knoe which pocket in backpack to target?

maybe one of your "friends" was in on it.

only joking! thanks for the warning! wots a kamoey? do thais as a general rule like to point out fellow thais as criminals? seems the apathy of the guards would make more sense to me.

Edited by blizzard

only joking! thanks for the warning! wots a kamoey? do thais as a general rule like to point out fellow thais as criminals? seems the apathy of the guards would make more sense to me.

The security guards won't have realised why he was being chased they ain't the sharpest knives in the draw, he was probably telling them he'd done nothing wrong.

I am shocked that you found a pickpocket in the Asoke/Nana area. We all know that part of town is renowned for its thriving "Arts and Culture" scene. The thought of a pickpocket there? It makes me weak in the knees...

Whats next? Reports that some young Thai girls are not the "women" that we thought they were? The horror, the humanity!

please sir dont damage los reputation. those womeon in that area are what we think they are......................lol.

aloha....dannykaleakini and all that you know.............. i have relatives in moiliili area.

Edited by blizzard

I walk around that area alot, i dont think there are many pickpockets, except by the stairs to asoke bts, where it gets narrow a couple of ladyboys try to empty your pockets, I dont know why nobody has put them out of action yet, guess the police arent interested because theres nobody to get money out of, anyway they are quite unpleasant and you have to use physical force to keep their hands out of your pockets

What time of day was this?

It was about 4 in the afternoon. I was with 3 buddies walking to visit another guy. The pickpocket was quite bold, as I was actually using a slingpack with my hand over the main part of the bag. He didn't get away with my money but he did get away and will try to take someone else's money.

I am shocked that you found a pickpocket in the Asoke/Nana area. We all know that part of town is renowned for its thriving "Arts and Culture" scene. The thought of a pickpocket there? It makes me weak in the knees...

Whats next? Reports that some young Thai girls are not the "women" that we thought they were? The horror, the humanity!

I posted this as a warning. This guy did not get my money but he did get away. I made this post so someone else on thaivisa.com would not get victimized by this guy. However, I guess some wise guys think that they are too "smart" for something like this to happen to them. When it does happen to you, maybe I'll be there to laugh at you!

I carry a side bag, but I've always kept it, as the name entails, to my side. Hence, I've not had no problems at all with keeping an eye on my stuff. Although, I do always keep the zip clip in front of me, as opposed to the back, so I'm aware that it's constantly closed.

How about keeping your wallet in the largest pocket and right at the bottom? I usually only carry my ATM Card, which also helps.

yer also nearly got robbed between soi 10 and 8 near the park, was on my own and saw 2 lady boys

walking towards me about 100 meters towards me the first one stopped at the phone booth on the soi 8 side of the park and the second approached at about the middle of the park and grabbed my hand seeing a gold ring and muttered some <deleted>, after one quick hard shrug of the hand he let go and walked off, dread to think what would have happened if i was steaming!! Be careful it's a jungle out there!!

Consider yourself lucky.

In Amsterdam - how many people have had their bags slashed as they are walking, or been stabbed by druggies trying to rob you of your personal belongings. Hpoefully they never get this far.

Vulnerable people get targeted and robbed. Perhaps a change is in order to look less vulnerable.

And for the sake of god - anyone that wears a pack - be it small or large - please remember you have something on your back - because almost everytime someone wearing a pack enters - be it a bus, plane, BTS, elevator - they always turn and swing the dam_n things into people!

I posted this as a warning. This guy did not get my money but he did get away. I made this post so someone else on thaivisa.com would not get victimized by this guy. However, I guess some wise guys think that they are too "smart" for something like this to happen to them. When it does happen to you, maybe I'll be there to laugh at you!

Mauiguy, thanks for the warning. I can only speak for myself, but I appreciate the heads up.

As an old bangkok hand I should have known better, but last year i was walking near the pantip area (opposite side near Pratunam) and there are areas of the sidewalk that are impassible with hords of people. I was walking with a mate of mine and noticed that my wallet was lifted, but unlike the afformentioned thief, I believe the crooks in this area are female.

Stupid as it may sound, but having a female push up behind me didn't draw my suspicion. Needless to say the Tourist police had nothing to offer other than with a chuckle "you need to be careful, this area very bad". Lucky for me I live here so replacing the credit cards, bank cards was relatively painless (except bangkok bank of course) but can only imagine what tourists go through when this happens to them.

I for one now put my wallet in a front pocket when around these types of crowds - the way I figure it, if some gal is gonna reach in there to take it, she will be the one in for a surprise.

Thanks for the heads up and a reminder that the Thai Security or Police will not be helpfull when you need them.

That punk needs his face smashed in.

I don't suppose you can really expect too much from security, but I disagree that the police would not have done anything. Perhaps 1 or 2 out of 10 would be unhelpful, but you are talking about a common thief (pickpocket) here and from my observation of the BiBs, they would usually do something about it.

I recall being with a Thai friend and we were walking through a street with a lot of people on it.

She advised that I carry my backpack on my front so that I have better control over what happens to it.

Good advice if you ask me. She also wore here bag to the front too.

I work with a team as volunteer translators/liaison officers at the Lumpinee Police Station on Wireless Road. We get between 10-15 complaints of pickpockets per week in our area that covers all of Sukumvit from Asoke to Central World.

We also get about 5-10 drug and rob cases, many involving Katoeys!

There are a number of hotels in this area that money regularly disappears out of guest rooms with alarming frequency!

I cannot begin to tell you of the 5 or 6 gangs we encounter on regular occasions that are very very active and extremely successful in this area.

Sadly this is not an area that I would recommend anyone to stay or party!

Be careful!

Peter

PS An Iranian man was caught last night with several hundred grams of Crack Heroin in his underwear. Was very sad when he was told he was doing 10-20 in the Bangkok Hilton!

In Amsterdam - how many people have had their bags slashed as they are walking, or been stabbed by druggies trying to rob you of your personal belongings. Hpoefully they never get this far.

yeah, and i know a guy who was run over by a bus in zimbabwe, but i think i will write about him in an east timor forum... :o

Absolutely unbelievable that you had your wallet in your backpack of all places! .. ALWAYS keep it and your money where you can actually "feel" it" .. Also unbelievable is you complaining about someone nicking it from said backpack!

Stupidity deserves punishment .. consider yourself lucky this time.

:o

I carry a 'mini-wallet' in my front pocket. It is just big enough to carry 4 cards (credit and atm,) my driver's license and a folded up copy of my passport. It is thin and comfortable and you'd have to be a VERY good theif to get at it in my front pocket. You can buy these types of wallets at Robinson's or Central.

In 12 years of living in BKK with a vast many jaunts out and about the Nana-Asoke gauntlet, I've never been ripped off. There was only one attempt (that I know of.) In a popular, crowded bar on Sukhumvit known for its large clientele of 'eligible, self-employed' ladies, I once felt...very distinctly... two small hands slip into and out of each of my back pockets. I turned around and saw nothing but a thick crowd... no idea whose hands they were. Anyway, since my mini wallet is always in front, they came up empty handed!!!!

So...be smart and you'll be safe.

PS An Iranian man was caught last night with several hundred grams of Crack Heroin in his underwear. Was very sad when he was told he was doing 10-20 in the Bangkok Hilton!

What exactly is Crack Heroin? I'd be very interested to know.

Last July, I was walking away from Soi Cowboy and a katoy (or a thief dressed liike a katoy,) came up behind me, held my arm with one hand and reached down into my back pocket with the other. Fortunately, I had put my wallet into my front pocket. Sooo, although my last remaining nung-pawn baht wasn't lifted (& cards,) I was unnerved and now I am much more cautious! :o

Crack Heroin is actually a misleading name.

It's heroin that is turned from powder form to rock form by cooking it with(baking powder?). It's easier to smoke than the powder version.

Crack Heroin doesn't contain any cocaine/cocaine based products.

Edited by pampal

It's heroin that is turned from powder form to rock form by cooking it with(baking powder?). It's easier to smoke than the powder version.

I can't imagine anything easier to smoke than white powder heroin, thus the term "chasing the dragon". I thought that the crack referred to where the drugs were found upon the hapless Iranian's body. :o

I can't imagine anything easier to smoke than white powder heroin, thus the term "chasing the dragon". I thought that the crack referred to where the drugs were found upon the hapless Iranian's body. :o

My thoughts precisely. Extracting the base from the hydrochloride salt to make crack (using sodium bicarbonate) or freebase (if the operation is performed with ammonia or sodium hydroxide) as is done with cocaine hydrochloride (since the hydrochloride salt is virtually impossible to smoke effectively) is entirely pointless with heroin. I've never heard of this being attempted.

P.S Nice crack joke...