Thai Airways To Open Bangkok - Samui Flights

george

You can fly to Samui for 2,000 one way on the first & last flights. Not too bad! You also get one free flight for every ten if you join the flyer bonus club.

Also the Bangkok Air lounges, with free coffee, drinks, snacks, internet, comfy seats etc, offer a far more superior service than any other airline in it's league.

The Bangkok Air lounges at SVBUM are far better than the Cathay Pacific business class lounge and quite a few others. You can change your ticket even if you checked in late and missed your flight.

Try doing that on any UK airline and see what happens.

The staff are always nice too considering some of the falang scum who live on Samui they have to deal with. Compare their staff to the sour faced, old hags you get in Europe.

If Anyone knows of a better local airline, then pelase let me know.

That fare is not 2,000B,it is more like 2,700B,that is an acceptable price in my opinion,should be that price for all Samui/Bangkok flights ann then give the residents a discount too.

ok, they have nice lounges at both samui and bangkok airports,that is because they are able to provide this due to there high tarrifs,as for the in-flight food.....it is crap!years ago they went through a phase of offering,omelettes,lasagne and thai curries,and they were tasty.

Is it only farang scum who use bkk airways? a strange comment!!!

Also the Bangkok Air lounges, with free coffee, drinks, snacks, internet, comfy seats etc, offer a far more superior service than any other airline in it's league.

The Bangkok Air lounges at SVBUM are far better than the Cathay Pacific business class lounge and quite a few others. .

ok, they have nice lounges at both samui and bangkok airports,that is because they are able to provide this due to there high tarrifs,as for the in-flight food.....it is crap!years ago they went through a phase of offering,omelettes,lasagne and thai curries,and they were tasty.

Have you seen the 'lounge' at U-Tapao, more like a cart dishing out coffee in the main waiting area. As for the complaints about food, why do you feel it necessary to eat on a flight of around 1 hour? Maybe by trimming such excesses they would be able to offer a more reasonably priced service.

The Bangkok Air lounges at SVBUM are far better than the Cathay Pacific business class lounge and quite a few others. .

Have you seen the 'lounge' at U-Tapao, more like a cart dishing out coffee in the main waiting area. As for the complaints about food, why do you feel it necessary to eat on a flight of around 1 hour? Maybe by trimming such excesses they would be able to offer a more reasonably priced service.

I agree,keep it simple,reduce the prices,then maybe this island will become more appealing for all concerned instead of a continuing joke amongst SOME tourists and ex-pats.Time will tell!!

as you say...do you need a meal on or before a one hour flight.

There' quite a nice little cafe at U'tapao and the departure lounge has a bar etc...just about all you need.

it is also NOT owned by Bkk Air.

If the BKK-HKT route serves as a reference, more carriers won't mean more competition if the flights all leave within 30 minutes of each other. I stick with TG because the price difference with the competitors is negligible. Besides, I prefer to fly on planes that aren't ancient.

Maybe the reason flights to Samui are so procey because there isn't an economy of scale. If the traffic is lighter there is less revenue, but there are still the fixed costs for airlines of maintaining a local presence ( agents, mechanics, cleaners, etc.)

There' quite a nice little cafe at U'tapao and the departure lounge has a bar etc...just about all you need.

erm ... according to their web-site, Bangkok Airways don't fly to/from U-Tapao, so what have catering/lounge-facilities there got to do with anything ? :o

erm ... according to their web-site, Bangkok Airways don't fly to/from U-Tapao, so what have catering/lounge-facilities there got to do with anything ? :oBangkok Airways certainly do fly to U-Tapao (UTP) - where do you think Pattaya airport is? :D

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

If the BKK-HKT route serves as a reference, more carriers won't mean more competition if the flights all leave within 30 minutes of each other. I stick with TG because the price difference with the competitors is negligible. Besides, I prefer to fly on planes that aren't ancient.

Maybe the reason flights to Samui are so procey because there isn't an economy of scale. If the traffic is lighter there is less revenue, but there are still the fixed costs for airlines of maintaining a local presence ( agents, mechanics, cleaners, etc.)

i think you'd better check out the number of flights to Samui.......

Thai Airways are often old planes and very grudgingly maintained by the Air force who don't want the job and don't have the funding

if the thai gov't is concerned about competition on the bkk-usm route they could simply offer a tax credit to any airline that flies into usm which is based on the amount of the landing fees and charges that BA charges them for the privelege of using their airport.

no second airport needed, here or on pha ngan. each airline would then have to be competitive or be left out.

I thought Bangkok Airways had a monoploy to Samui - seeing as how they built the infrastructure?

Just another example of the corrupt coup leaders moving the goal posts.

State owned monopolys rock man!!!!!

shot down in flames.....and a few others in this thread are spouting some serious rubbish as well.

Samui doesn't and won't ever have the ability to support Phuket level tourism; it has a shortish season and extremely limited land for further development plus already is getting flood problems from the existing development. There is little reason to drop airfares, and BKK Airways risked it to build the airport, why should they give it away to anyone, this is there only advantage??! Arrival numbers are about 1m, Phuket is about 5m p.a., and have been fairly static. ONly way to increase is to extend the high season...tough to do in torrential rain.

Thaksin pushed for access....primarily it is clear now to secure rights for AirAsia when he owned a chunk. Didn't work, 'cause there was no logical reason to give in. Thaksin is alledgly a f&*King moron loved by Isaan, the norff and foreign people without a brain. Why should BKK Airways take the risk and then bend over??? A few people should learn the concept of risk and return, first mover advantage and the concept of barriers to entry...without which Samui would probably not have an airport at all!

Why should Thai drop the price? You guys obviously have no clue about a duopoly or oligopoly; with only 2 flights they will be fairly full...why should they sell for low cost fares??! Get a grip.

Anyone can go to Samui cheaply now, by flying to Surat then catching a ferry. something like 80% of tourism comes across that way, and even if the fares were 99b, total WAG here, you'd probably still be running at more than 50% coming by boat - backpackers and the like travelling overland from Phuket etc.

But no....let's just expect airlines to give up margin for nothing. Kind of like Quantas and AirNZ on transtasman routes; hang onto the profits or just bend over for no reason....unlike them BKK Airways has a barrier to entry and they can exploit it as long as they want.

As for this Samui mafia stuff, so I keep getting told by every head strong farang mover and shaker driving their POS 4X4 and strutting their way around Q Bar. Sadly, I haven't seen evidence all over like they have, but I guess I am not Thai enough/too Thai to see it.

shuddup steve.

Stop talking sense. Consipracy theory is the way to go.

As one who worked on airport deregulation in Thailand, Samui was always a hard one to crack - even for dear leader. It is all about access, setting the right price to reward the risk, while allowing anyone to use the airport - so long as they pay for it.

As for BKK air having a monopoly in the strict sense of the word - yes, but there is sufficient competition from the BKK Surat Thani flight + boat combo that BKK air can't charge stupid fares. I mean 4000 baht? that's $130 bucks. Melbourne-Sydney on average is more expensive than that - and that IS a competitive route.

And spell QANTAS correctly you kiwi so and so.

if the thai gov't is concerned about competition on the bkk-usm route they could simply offer a tax credit to any airline that flies into usm which is based on the amount of the landing fees and charges that BA charges them for the privelege of using their airport.

no second airport needed, here or on pha ngan. each airline would then have to be competitive or be left out.

why should the govt interfere in competition??? Sorry, I think I am missing a step here.... someone builds an airport, creates industry, and now is making a profit from it.... I thought that was the aim of capitalism?>?

OI SAMRAN

Kangaroo air mate. They should serve BBQ food and meat loaf 'it's what ya do with it dahhhhhl'

Edited by steveromagnino

The new route is expected to be popular among foreign tourists as they will be able to travel by a direct flight from Suvarnbhumi to Samui's tourist destinations in the southern province of Surat Thani ......

(Now: Ought to Stop minimum 3 times at the taxiway hahaha.)

Small wonder everyone is going to Phuket instead......

Well, maybe i'm wrong but i thought i've read that Samui Airport changed the ownership. BTW: the fare BKK-USM depend on flight time and booking - i've never paid more than THB 4000 one way and fly 10 get one free. Take the first or the last fligt will save approx. THB 1500.

Alternatively: BKK-Surat Thani and Bus/Boat, BKK-HKT-USM (less than THB 4000)....

Well, still not the cheapest way of travel. :o

Edited by Sturbuc

why should the govt interfere in competition??? Sorry, I think I am missing a step here.... someone builds an airport, creates industry, and now is making a profit from it.... I thought that was the aim of capitalism?>

currently at usm there is no competition. my suggestion does not interfere with competition in any way shape or form, it encourages it.

BA has ultimate control over the number of flights and the landing fees associated with those flights. i have no idea what the current landing fees are but i am certain they are not competitive otherwise other carriers would be here. a tax credit to offset those fees would not only encourage competition but give BA the chance to throw off some of their less profitable flight times to other carriers and still collect a landing fee.

anyway, i'm sure BA has done numerous studies on the profitability of the bkk-usm route and has determined they are operating at max efficiency and profitability at their current pricing structure and would be losing profits by lowering fares and taking more passengers. we all know that thais are famous for long term planning and not simply looking at todays cash account.

why should the govt interfere in competition??? Sorry, I think I am missing a step here.... someone builds an airport, creates industry, and now is making a profit from it.... I thought that was the aim of capitalism?>

currently at usm there is no competition. my suggestion does not interfere with competition in any way shape or form, it encourages it.

BA has ultimate control over the number of flights and the landing fees associated with those flights. i have no idea what the current landing fees are but i am certain they are not competitive otherwise other carriers would be here. a tax credit to offset those fees would not only encourage competition but give BA the chance to throw off some of their less profitable flight times to other carriers and still collect a landing fee.

anyway, i'm sure BA has done numerous studies on the profitability of the bkk-usm route and has determined they are operating at max efficiency and profitability at their current pricing structure and would be losing profits by lowering fares and taking more passengers. we all know that thais are famous for long term planning and not simply looking at todays cash account.

What have British Airways got to do with this? :o PG is the code for Bangkok Airways.

I thought Bangkok Airways had a monoploy to Samui - seeing as how they built the infrastructure?

Just another example of the corrupt coup leaders moving the goal posts.

State owned monopolys rock man!!!!!

It's difficult to see what this has to do with state owned monopolies, since it has been a private monopoly for years. The state owned Thai Airways are the one representing new competition here, while Bangkok Airways have done all they can to keep the prices on that route on a maximum level. So much so that Thai Airways at one stage considered building a second airport at Koh Samui. The present airport is too small (too short runway) to accommodate the 737s of Thai Airways, or at least that has been the official reason not to fly there previously.

Hi I live and work here I have a residents card( gives you discount on main time flights) but the food is crap, they delay at the drop of a hat, 3 hours last time, they hold flights back, oh yeh and they call it the bOutique Airline, yeh go on, I emailed 10 directors they said sorry, as in I suggested making the food more Thai, as in Kaow Pad, fried rice, easy and most people eat it, no they give you card board sarnies and pastries and dodgy sausages!

It will not change and yes Thai airways land where.....oh Don Muang !doh! :o

Ciao

I think it's crazy that they provide food and drinks for a 50 min flight,when the provide nibbles and drinks in the departure lounge.. Do away with the food and bring the prices down. Can't go without food for 1hr?

• 3 weeks later...

Thai Airways has launched BKK-Samui flights

The President of Thai Airways International, Flight Officer Apinan Sumanaseranee (อภินันท์ สุมนะเศรณี), says Thai Airways International has launched twice-daily flights between Bangkok and Samui Island, one of Thailand's most popular resort islands where the number of tourists is usually high throughout the year.

The Samui route is the 12th destination of Thai Airways' domestic routes. The daily flights, which begin today (February 15th), are using Boeing 737-400 airplanes with 149 seats. This flight service has been launched to facilitate Thai passengers and tourists, particularly from Europe and Asia.

Flight Officer Apinan Sumanaseranee says the Bangkok-and-Samui route will also help promote tourism in Thailand, and Samui will attract many more Thai and foreign tourists in the future.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 Febuary 2008