Bank Cheque For Oz Embassy

i have been searching but keeps giving me error message..hmm

anyhow, i remember someone said the bank that oz embassy prefers is the one next door...

is this correct ?

are they open saturday ,

do they open at 9am monday morning ?

chok dee kup

Oz embassy would accept any local bank cashiers cheque. Not on overseas bank as takes about 30 days to clear. however, why not pay cash? Yes, there is a bank about 5/10 minutes walk from the embassy, would be same opening hours as all bank's in Thailand.

i have been searching but keeps giving me error message..hmm

anyhow, i remember someone said the bank that oz embassy prefers is the one next door...

is this correct ?

are they open saturday ,

do they open at 9am monday morning ?

chok dee kup

The Oz Embassy open on a Saturday Stu ? :o Be real

Oz embassy would accept any local bank cashiers cheque. Not on overseas bank as takes about 30 days to clear. however, why not pay cash? Yes, there is a bank about 5/10 minutes walk from the embassy, would be same opening hours as all bank's in Thailand.

I don't think the Oz embassy will take cash - they didn't when I went there in Feb04. Went to the bank over the road, no problems. (except having to go back out through security etc etc)

ah, the good doctor..ive been waiting for you

and bronco where you been ?

i need the good oil here

i should have been more clearer,

i have interview monday morning 9am

for gf appying for prospective spouse visa

going with her, have a wheelbarrow full of papers (nearly)

anyhow, is an ayudhya bank cheque ok ?

(the one down the street ,turn left at servo station )

or would krung thai be better ?

sporting dog, is that bank DIRECTLY across the road ?

cheers

stu

stu_$, I see a problem coming up. They don't have parking for a small car, not even a Holden, do you really think you can drive in with a wheel barrow? LOL

OK, serious. Some time ago the embassy changed the policy, no more cash, only cashier's check by a Thai bank to avoid handling all this money. (They would need your wheel barrow every afternoon to carry it out)

Fair enough, when I do business with the Thai-authorities, cashiers' check it is, costs something like Baht 20 or so??

@ Bronco: What on earth is a dima office? As much as I like OZ-land, I hate having to apply for a fcking visa, which I do need only for Vietnam/China/Australia and India. OK some more around Asia. Even the Kiwis let me come without visa. :o

Yeah agree. From my expereince, the embassy does not take cash. This proved a major pain in the ass for me as i am anti-credit cards for moral reasons.

I think the consulate (passport <deleted> , ect ) does take cash . And the dodgy car park guys next door to the embassy love to take your cash :o

D.I.M.A

Department of Immigration, Multicultural Affairs.

They are located in every Capital city in Oz and I used them to make payments for visa applications and it's also cheaper than the BKK embassy.

You can pay by EFTPOS and just take the reciept with you to LOS.

The only reason I mentioned this is if you are in the situation of going back and forth to LOS then this is an alternative to chasing a cashiers cheque.

I think the Embassies changed their payment method in December 2003, remember seeing notices about it in the Embassy months prior to it's implementation.

Just so everyone knows, as stated before the consular section will accept cash anytime but the visa section will only accept the following:

"Method of payment:

Visa Application Charge must be paid by cashier's cheque or bank draft to "The Australian Embassy, Bangkok" in Thai Baht.

Cashier's cheques should only be used if purchased in Bangkok or the Nonthaburi, Pathumtani & Samuthprakarn provinces.

Credit card facilities are currently not available at the Visa and Immigration Office in Bangkok."

so the statement "they will take any bank cheque" is somewhat simplified.

The above is all true UNLESS it is a bank holiday in Thailand and the visa section is open (which does happen, the embassy does not honour all Thai public holiday's), then the visa section also accepts cash.

:o

sporting dog, is that bank DIRECTLY across the road ?

Its across the road and maybe 100 metres to the right as you walk out of the embassy - but I really can't remember fully. I know its not far because we walked. The bank process was quick - they obviously had made out bank cheques to the embassy before and I THINK it cost about 40 baht for the cheque.

It was a pain in the arse on the day because we didn't know we couldn't use cash until we fronted the cashier's counter at the embassy - you pay first BEFORE handing over any documentation.

But now you know so it should be no big deal - at least not compared to the effort of getting together all the other stuff you need.

I've had no problems with the embassy.....be patient, be polite , smile (think of the beer after you've finished :o )

Good Luck!!

If you don't want to cross the road. Leave the embassy, turn left walk about 50 meteres until you get to the first street, turn left again, about another 50 meters there is a bank. Just tell them you want a cheque for the Australian Embassy and they have done it all many times before. Very easy.

Good Luck

cheers everyone

im going in first thing monday , so i'll be crossing fingers now

actually going to dentist afterwards to have a tooth pulled

thats probably going to be more pleasant , ?

i guess if i start to sweat it in the interview i can just say im nervous about the place being attacked while i'm there eh ?

ive insisted on buying my gf shoes that arent thongs or sandals

what a drama...that was !

thanks again to all contributors