Scrabble?

clivemh

Hi can anyone help?

I want to get a game of scrabble (preferabably travel version).

Would like to buy here in Pattaya.

I don't need the pc version I want the real thing.

Look in Central Dept Store toy department.

The game is sold in Thailand under a different name.... "Crossword".

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say thanks to the contributers, I did get scrabble ( known as "crossword" here , but not actually in Big C

(N or S) but did locate it at one of the little huts on 2nd floor in Festival place outside big C, if anyone is interested only 99 baht, but very basic and flimsy with no holders for tiles or bag, but its still very good and thanks!

Does anyone fancy starting a scrabble league/club here in Pattaya?

PM me if you do. If I can enough respondants it should be too difficult to set up.

This is a lovely idea! I'd love to join for that.

Anyways, I have this Scrabble Deluxe Travel set from Toy R Us, but not in Pattaya. It cost about 990 baht.

travel1.jpg

PS. Where is Toy R Us store in Pattaya? I'm (kinda) new for the new Pattaya.

Edited by nnookk

PS. Where is Toy R Us store in Pattaya? I'm (kinda) new for the new Pattaya.

As stated above - Festival Shopping Centre (i.e. outside Big C on Second Road - Northern section.

Scrabble in English? Or Thai?

In English, it's the imported one.

I think that in general you will not find many board/knowledge games like Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit for sale in Thailand, especially not in English. I shall not dwell on the reasons for that here, other that querying if it not may bear some faint relationship with why, on asking for the official golf rules book, one is met either by blank stares, or by some very puzzled question: "does golf have rules?!?"

Get a friend to bring it on the next visit, pick it up in Singapore on the next visa run, or get someone abroad to send it to you. Or buy it online of course. Or give up, and go to the Soi 6 library instead...

Good luck!

I got the crossword but after a week the letters rubbed off the tiles,so now have 'Spendy games' version 115 Baht from Lotus really well made with racks for letters as well, (highly recommend)

Please feel free to contact me if you fancy playing sometime?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just purchased this 6 games in one wooden cabinet from eBay.

monoscrabble1.jpg

Let's start the Scrabble club soon! :D

There're also chess, checkers, dominoes and poker dice in this cabinet. I just love the board games. :o

Edited by nnookk

There're also chess, checkers, dominoes and poker dice in this cabinet. I just love the board games. :o

If your serious about the scrabble club then I would also be interested in starting one. I use to play in a scrabble league in England and used to enjoy my weekly game.

If your serious about the scrabble club then I would also be interested in starting one. I use to play in a scrabble league in England and used to enjoy my weekly game.

Rules regarding American / English spelling?

Rules regarding American / English spelling?

Just use the OSW (Official Scrabble Words) the bible and must have book at all competitive scrabble games.

It's amazing a word such as WAQF is in and allowed ,I've played it several times in competitive games even though I haven't a clue what it means, and yet JEEP isn't in and consequently not allowed.

It's amazing a word such as WAQF is in and allowed ,I've played it several times in competitive games even though I haven't a clue what it means, and yet JEEP isn't in and consequently not allowed.

Waqf is land donated to a mosque, from which it will derive income.

But I bet the "Official Scrabble Words" is an American publication. Can't imagine a Brit wanting to try to regularise play to the extent that no room is left for argument.

Edited by Humphrey Bear