Social Fund

Do not have details. I suppose someone will come by later with them.

In my opinion it is somewhat akin to NHS (should you be UK citizen) versus private.

Upon taking up employment you are invited to select 3 (i believe it is 3) hospitals from a list. government hospitals i assume.

You receive a card and that entitles you to attend one of those 3 hospitals on the list with your ailments at low cost/ no cost? Not sure which.

I also assume longer waiting times but it could save you substantial amounts of money. i have not availed myself of the service but i am contemplating. I am aware of a farang using the service and he is satisfied with the results.

Bumrungrad is not on the list. Should you choose 3 nice hospitals which are also not on the list the social fund people will send your form back asking you to complete it properly ie select a hospital which is signed the service.

It probaly depends much on where you live as I find with doctors here they are associated with several hospitals and work certain times of the week with each.

for me it is seeing a good doctor not necessarily the fanciest hospital.

Better stop here before i get off on a rant regarding Bumrungrad

Apparently, your entitled to free 'limited' health care in any PUBLIC hospitals. Problem is, knowing the public hospital, there's always a LONG waiting line and been a foreigner, there are limited translators in most public hospitals. I've being to one and it and it was not a pleasant experience, due to the communication barrier.

It's known public hospitals are all overworked and under funded. I would rather stick to the private hospitals. There are alot of private hospital which won't blow your budget away.

Ofcause all private hospital in the CBD have a higher cost compared to the others outside the city. Guess it depends where you're located.

Apparently, your entitled to free 'limited' health care in any PUBLIC hospitals. Problem is, knowing the public hospital, there's always a LONG waiting line and been a foreigner, there are limited translators in most public hospitals. I've being to one and it and it was not a pleasant experience, due to the communication barrier.

It's known public hospitals are all overworked and under funded. I would rather stick to the private hospitals. There are alot of private hospital which won't blow your budget away.

Ofcause all private hospital in the CBD have a higher cost compared to the others outside the city. Guess it depends where you're located.

Is it possible, and if so, how much does it cost to buy health insurance that will cover at least major medical expenses at a private hospital? (By major medical I mean for instance if one had a heart attack, or were diagnosed with cancer, or were hit by a car)

Thanks. :o