T_Dog

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just curious.. Do you still have to sit an air law and human factors exam to get a validation on your foreign license? I was looking on the Thai flying clubs website and I saw before links that said you did, but it seems they have been removed or well hidden. Anyone have any first hand knowledge?

• 4 weeks later...

If you are interested in the future direction of commercial and military aviation, I thought I would share this recent email I received from a fellow pilot .

News from the 'Skunk Works' - no more flying pilots....

Steve Chelander member of the NTSB 2007-2009 is a retired American Captain.

He gave a safety presentation at recurrent training about two years ago.

He opened the floor for questions an one guy asked facetiously when are we

going to one pilot cockpit. Chelander said that is not funny. He said Fed

Ex and UPS are now (two years ago) working on the procedures for a one

pilot long haul over water operation. The pilot would be at the controls for

take off and landing then go the bunk for cruise while the guy back in

Memphis would take over for the cruise. One pilot passenger flights will

take a bit longer to get approved.

12 years ago I was Director of Operations for the Alaska Air Guard. I

went to a high level conference and this three star gave a presentation that

said the exact same thing the major said. The only limitation on fighter

aircraft now is the pilot. We have the technology to do everything from the

ground and it will be a huge cost savings. No search and rescue, no life

support systems, no backlash when we lose a plane.

So this article is right on the money.

I attended a flight safety presentation last evening from a retired AF

Major test pilot from Edwards, Bill Koukourikas, now serving there as a

civilian. During the course of his presentation, his statement- No future attack

military aircraft within the next 15 years will have pilots in the cockpit.

The last tactical aircraft with a pilot in the cockpit will be the F-35.

He also indicated that within the next 10 or so years all UPS and FedX cargo

flights will be with pilot-less aircraft. This prediction coming from

their test shop at Edwards.

All drone testing, development etc. is taking place just south of Edwards

in the Palmdale area. Sounds like a continuation of the skunk work

developments of Lockheed which previously took place in that area.

Simply amazing!

Hey, are we a dying breed or what??

Guess you'll have to invite your computer to "have a beer" after the day's

flying is done....... Glenn

(Note from Jetjock: Just in case your not familiar with the term, the Skunk Works is an official alias for Lockheed Martin’s Advanced Development Programs (ADP. Skunk Works is responsible for a number of famous aircraft designs, including the U-2, the SR-71, the F-117, and the F-22. Its largest current project is the F-35 Lightning II.)

• 1 month later...
Just curious.. Do you still have to sit an air law and human factors exam to get a validation on your foreign license? I was looking on the Thai flying clubs website and I saw before links that said you did, but it seems they have been removed or well hidden. Anyone have any first hand knowledge?

That's still in effect AFAIK.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is any of you guys (girls) a member of the Tango Squadron in CNX?

Not sure if it is organized as a club, but you can visit the museum in small groups most Saturdays. Actually an interesting place to visit if you haven't been there.

Hi there

i'm 20 years old studying in uni in scotland (i'm scottish) and my girlfriend is thai - meaning i travel here at least once a year, often for long holidays. I'm currently here for 3 and a half months until my uni resumes (summer holidays). I love aviation and want to get into it and have just been checking the thai websites here.

anyway, just seen this topic and would love if someone could answer a few questions for me..

1 - my eyes are pretty bad. I understand that you are allowed to use corrective lenses if you want to fly - is this the same in Thailand? Is it easy enough to get a medical with no problems using them?

2 - i'm in bangkok. What is the cheapest place to learn flying around here (and how much)? Would like to get some hours :) I saw the thai flying club website but havn't seen anything else.

3 - my girlfriend studies at an international uni here and said to me her uni teaches flying. Their website is in thai and i can't read it however. Does anyone have any experience or know how these universities teach? What do you get out the end of it?

4 - finally - is there any air shows or places closeby to bangkok that are good to go to for flying enthusiasts (museums etc)?

appreciate help

Hi there

i'm 20 years old studying in uni in scotland (i'm scottish) and my girlfriend is thai - meaning i travel here at least once a year, often for long holidays. I'm currently here for 3 and a half months until my uni resumes (summer holidays). I love aviation and want to get into it and have just been checking the thai websites here.

anyway, just seen this topic and would love if someone could answer a few questions for me..

1 - my eyes are pretty bad. I understand that you are allowed to use corrective lenses if you want to fly - is this the same in Thailand? Is it easy enough to get a medical with no problems using them?

2 - i'm in bangkok. What is the cheapest place to learn flying around here (and how much)? Would like to get some hours :) I saw the thai flying club website but havn't seen anything else.

3 - my girlfriend studies at an international uni here and said to me her uni teaches flying. Their website is in thai and i can't read it however. Does anyone have any experience or know how these universities teach? What do you get out the end of it?

4 - finally - is there any air shows or places closeby to bangkok that are good to go to for flying enthusiasts (museums etc)?

appreciate help

Enj... Great to see a young person interested in aviation! Although I would recommend you get yourself started in your home country, you can indeed get training here. One club you could look into which is not too far from BKK is

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/

I had a friend that was a member there and he had positive words about the training experience. They could fill you in on sight/medical requirements as you would need to get a basic medical examination.

Hopefully others will chime in with other options, and this should get you started. Check out all the information below the "Flight Training" heading.

Also..... Google "Google Translate" and you can enter the link of the university site and Google will try to translate that website to English. It is not perfect, sometimes humorous, but you should get the main points.

Hi there

2 - i'm in bangkok. What is the cheapest place to learn flying around here (and how much)? Would like to get some hours :D I saw the thai flying club website but havn't seen anything else.

appreciate help

Enj... Great to see a young person interested in aviation! Although I would recommend you get yourself started in your home country, you can indeed get training here. One club you could look into which is not too far from BKK is

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/

I had a friend that was a member there and he had positive words about the training experience. They could fill you in on sight/medical requirements as you would need to get a basic medical examination.

Hopefully others will chime in with other options, and this should get you started. Check out all the information below the "Flight Training" heading.

Also..... Google "Google Translate" and you can enter the link of the university site and Google will try to translate that website to English. It is not perfect, sometimes humorous, but you should get the main points.

hi there

First of all, thanks for the reply!

I'm actually (seriously) thinking about - and have been for a while - being a pilot in the future and flying the bigger birds :D I know I really should get a move on, however, as it is i'm studying in uni and working a part time job. There isn't much more I can do until uni finishes. I'm definately getting my degree to give me another option if it doesn't work out as well as an extra 3 years while studying to think if that's definately the right road I want to go down and of course, to make myself a bit more attractive to employers. I keep reading about certain cadet programmes which seem pretty decent and definately an option for me for when I finish uni. As well as that actually, i'm guessing the extra few years will give commercial aviation a bit of time to pick itself back up (been reading pprune and learning how difficult it has been to get any work whatsoever). I've spoke to a few pilots flying for bigger companies in the UK and they have given me some brilliant advice.

of course though, money is the biggest problem which is one of the reasons I was asking on here. Is the thai flying club really the only option around(ish) Bangkok? No where else to give it some competition (ie. get rates down)? :)

I would love to get started when I go back also, however it is a lot more expensive back home in UK per hour :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

yo you know a place where I can rent a CH 701. I live in Thailand and thought about buying a cheap Zenair but I would like to fly/rent one of those first.

Please help me :-)

thank you

Not sure who publishes this blog, but there are some interesting newsbits and links within it

Thailand Aviation

Phil.... If you back-track through this thread, you'll find a TV member that has a really nice one. You might send him a PM to see if you could get a ride in it. (Edit: Back-tracked and found it on post#103.)

Edited by T_Dog

Here's my vote for aviation video of the year. Been to this show many times since I was 18 years old and always enjoyed it. I think the wife and I might just have found an excuse to go back next summer......

Thank you so much T Dog,

Dear jumnien,

I think about buying a Zenair 701 and I want to import into Thailand. I aldready talked to the DCA but I would need a bit help.

Can you give me some advice please?

How did you import your plane? With a lawyer or without?

I own a Zenair CH701 that I fly out of a small grass strip north of Chaam. I've flown from Chiang Rai to Krabi and Sakhon Nakhon and many airports throughout the Kingdom. It is registered as an airplane, HS-; flexwings and ultralights are registed as U-. I've been flying in Thailand for 4 years now and I'd agree that there are about 100 planes in the country for general aviation. If you are interested the www.thaiflyingclub(dot)com is a good place for info.

Edited by philisonislandae

• 2 months later...

AA Advance Aviation almost finished their helipad construction in Chiang Mai.

At the moment the EC 130 is stationed overthere. Nice helicopter.

If you come from Chiang Mai on the Hang Dong road, turn left at the Big C, after about 1 km you will see the beast on your left.

I guess it will be around 80.000 baht an hour, 6 passengers and 01 pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

AA Advance Aviation almost finished their helipad construction in Chiang Mai.

At the moment the EC 130 is stationed overthere. Nice helicopter.

If you come from Chiang Mai on the Hang Dong road, turn left at the Big C, after about 1 km you will see the beast on your left.

I guess it will be around 80.000 baht an hour, 6 passengers and 01 pilot.

Saw it fly overhead last week. Very quiet machine. Here's a brief tour of one, albeit with some extra tactical equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AVweb#p/u/1/cGPsVNJrtaU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

That's still in effect AFAIK.

Someone told me recently that the "human factors" exam is no longer required. But as always here you never really know...

• 1 month later...

It's that time of year.....

Santa had his reindeer ready on Christmas Eve as he surveyed his over-loaded sleigh. He looks over and he sees a fellow in a suit strolling up..... Turns out to be an FAA inspector.

"Santa, I gotta take you up for a check ride," the inspector says.

"But why tonight? Can't you come back next week? This is a busy night for me you know!," replies Santa.

"Sorry, your name came up and now's the time. Spool up them reindeer and let's get going...." responds the inspector.

Santa finishes hitching up the reindeer, taxis onto the runway apron, and just as he's going through the pre-take off checklist he looks over and notices a high powered rifle sticking out of the inspector's flight bag.

"Hey!" Santa yells. "What's the that for!?"

"Well, Santa, I'm not supposed to tell you this, but you might be losing one on takeoff...."

• 7 months later...

Have seen a turbine DC-3 operating out of CNX over the past few months but haven't run into anyone who knows who operates it. Anyone know if it is privately run or owned by the government?

I saw one of these whilst working on a yacht in France... Think I want one :)

http://www.polarismotor.it/fib.htm

These are built in Italy and they will ship worldwide. Cost around 25k euro depending what add ons you go with.

Just wondered,

a) how long does it take a reasonably intelligent person to learn to fly something like this

B) what would be import taxes on this if it was shipped in separate components

c) how long would the registration process take and how much would it cost

d) is there any pilot licensing requirements for this type of aircraft in Thailand

And finally, is it a worthwhile dream or should I stick with my mountain bike ????

Thanks all,

I saw one of these whilst working on a yacht in France... Think I want one smile.png

http://www.polarismotor.it/fib.htm

These are built in Italy and they will ship worldwide. Cost around 25k euro depending what add ons you go with.

Just wondered,

a) how long does it take a reasonably intelligent person to learn to fly something like this

cool.png what would be import taxes on this if it was shipped in separate components

c) how long would the registration process take and how much would it cost

d) is there any pilot licensing requirements for this type of aircraft in Thailand

And finally, is it a worthwhile dream or should I stick with my mountain bike ????

Thanks all,

Cloudhopper flies a wing so he should be able to give you a good opinion on what it would be like to drag an inflatable through the sky. Inflatable boats on the water with an oversize motor sure are fun though.