Studying To Be A Golf Teacher...

Marvo

Hi all,

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this department (that's why I'm trawling the forums :D )

I would like to be taught by a golf pro, do the course & exam and gain the Thai golf teaching qulification.

1) Is teaching golf as a freelance teacher an "allowed" occupation for a foreigner in Thailand?

2) What kind of visas would you advise I apply for (in the UK), both for the studying and once I have the qulification?

3) Can anyone give me pointers on what is the work permit sittuation for farang golf teachers or should I give up my dream? :o

Hi all,

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this department (that's why I'm trawling the forums :D )

I would like to be taught by a golf pro, do the course & exam and gain the Thai golf teaching qulification.

1) Is teaching golf as a freelance teacher an "allowed" occupation for a foreigner in Thailand?

2) What kind of visas would you advise I apply for (in the UK), both for the studying and once I have the qulification?

3) Can anyone give me pointers on what is the work permit sittuation for farang golf teachers or should I give up my dream? :o

I am sure it is possible - a friend of mine has an Aussie golf pro in BKK - but I don't know the details of how the Aussie got started, what his WP says etc etc - have a feeling he may have set up a company and be self-employed but don't take that as being fact

You'll have to do some more research - suggest touring around the driving ranges in the afternoon / early evening - in my experience that's when most people have their golf lessons (juniors in the afternoon after school, adults in the evening after work) - so that may be the best chance of finding any 'farang' pros

For the WP-related stuff, suggest asking a competent lawyer.

CC

I've known a few Farang golf pros at the driving ranges in Pattaya. Don't know about their WP situation though. So asking one would seem a good idea.

Wasn't Justin Rose the pro at a course in Hua Hin?

I dont know about Justin Rose, but Simon Yates was (probably still is) pro at one of the Hua Hin courses

Edited by JacknDanny

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Hi

My names David Im a professional golfer form the uk.hope i can help you a bit

first of all Dont give up your dream.

there are many PGA regions around the world.The main 1 is the british pga and the other is the pga of america.Australia,south africa and a few more countrys.

But some countrys have a PGA but the system is different.for example,if you went through a diploma course with the thai PGA and got qulified,you would be able to teach golf there,but if you moved back to the uk,then you would need to go through the british pga exams,starting from scratch.you could not join the pga because they dont recognise the thai pga as an official one.many other.

If your plan is to stay in thailand and teach,you can set up your own company,and get permission from driving ranges to teach there

remember that if a range employs a few pros there,then ask them 1st.they would not like you just turning up and trying to steal their punters.

Im looking into moving to thailand and setting up a golf school,so keep in touch with me and maybe we can sort out something.good luck,Dave

I've known a few Farang golf pros at the driving ranges in Pattaya. Don't know about their WP situation though. So asking one would seem a good idea.

Wasn't Justin Rose the pro at a course in Hua Hin?

I dont know about Justin Rose, but Simon Yates was (probably still is) pro at one of the Hua Hin courses

Simon Yates is based in hua hin but does not work there.Simon is a succesful tour player on the Asian Tour and Europen Tour.He used to work out in Germany with us as a teaching pro.He went to try is luck on the asian tour and has never looked back since.Simon is not just a great golfer who I am sure will will big time,but a great bloke too

I am sure it is possible - a friend of mine has an Aussie golf pro in BKK

CC

I will put a different spin or slice on that. I am getting coaching from a Thai Guy who was an Australian Pro.