Addendum To Mae Sai Visa Run Thread.....

FolkGuitar

Addendum to Mae Sai visa run thread.....

I just got back a few minutes ago. Lucky to have been able to do so. For some reason the line going through Thai passport control was the longest I've seen in seven years. It took me a full 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach the window. Thankfully, that part when quickly and I was able to get my three month Class B non immigrant visa within 2-3 minutes. There was a Thai tour guide near by and I asked her if all the folks ahead of me were her tour members but she said no, that she only had four people on the line. She had no idea what the hold up was either. Had I done more shopping in Tachilak I would have missed my bus back to Chiang Mai!

Going in to Burma was quicker than ever, with not a single other person in the passport control office. Pay your $10 and get you temporary card. Took about a minute for that. Coming back, again no other foreigners in Burmese passport control. In and out. Then the big surprise at the Thai side.

There were many more road blocks than usual on the road up to Mae Sai. Full block with double 'S' curves so that everyone had to slow right down, and every car was inspected as was our bus. They didn't look at farang documents, only Asian.

Other than the wait for Thai passport control, another delightful visa run. Once again, they did NOT ask to see any money.

Thats it road tax.They had several roadblocks set up just after the toll booths and were stopping most people .one said speeding as I approached the booth,BS. Basically my offense was driving while falang.Did nothing wrong and have never seen it like that. Folk Guitar saw the same up north which I was up north also last week and saw none of it. Thus my wondering whats up.I usually go ten years without being stopped. It was a full moon

I just got back a few minutes ago. Lucky to have been able to do so. For some reason the line going through Thai passport control was the longest I've seen in seven years. It took me a full 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach the window. Thankfully, that part when quickly and I was able to get my three month Class B non immigrant visa within 2-3 minutes. There was a Thai tour guide near by and I asked her if all the folks ahead of me were her tour members but she said no, that she only had four people on the line. She had no idea what the hold up was either. Had I done more shopping in Tachilak I would have missed my bus back to Chiang Mai!

Going in to Burma was quicker than ever, with not a single other person in the passport control office. Pay your $10 and get you temporary card. Took about a minute for that. Coming back, again no other foreigners in Burmese passport control. In and out. Then the big surprise at the Thai side.

There were many more road blocks than usual on the road up to Mae Sai. Full block with double 'S' curves so that everyone had to slow right down, and every car was inspected as was our bus. They didn't look at farang documents, only Asian.

Other than the wait for Thai passport control, another delightful visa run. Once again, they did NOT ask to see any money.

Had the same very protracted delay at Thai Immigration on the return one week ago.

Reason, mostly, I think could be put down to the fact that there was only one officer on duty at the window.

Would have thought that the problem might have been addressed by now.

Cheers.

200 Baht each only one was really time consuming.Probably they realize that they lose money by spending too much time with one individual.They were putting nearly everyone through it though. Something was going on somewhere. Wasn't that close to the end of the month although it is a five week long month. Just don't like being in the position of being at their mercy,all the while smiling and carrying on like "isn't this fun?" wasn't the monetary amount.I'd feel the same if I were only robbed of one baht.So where you biking to?

Just did the same border run Thursday very smooth no lines.

Getting back in only one immigration officer 2 minute wait.

I Saw the sign to show 20k it is posted at the windows but was not asked to do so .

Plenty of road blocks, they were stopping Thais on motorcycles Buses and cars and checking everything We got stopped once and they asked my Thai girlfriend a few questions then waved us on.

Usually I am the one being pulled over I guess it was my day or days.

Last year I did 2 visa runs to Mae Sai. I took the bus to Chiang Rai, stayed overnight and then did a one day bicycle roundtrip to Mae Sai. I guess the road blocks are for vehicles only. I breezed through them all.

I had a type "O" visa and I also was never asked to show any money.

Did the run on Saturday, no waiting at all..Another fun day out..

We also found a place that sells duty free alcohol, great prices..10 baht for small bottles of mittweida which we drank on the Burmese side..Superb. :o

Oh..and some of the best Indian pakoras and samosas in the world..on the bridge they call no-mans land..Aroi maak..

Edited by Austhaied

Did the run on Saturday, no waiting at all..Another fun day out..

We also found a place that sells duty free alcohol, great prices..10 baht for small bottles of mittweida which we drank on the Burmese side..Superb. :o

Oh..and some of the best Indian pakoras and samosas in the world..on the bridge they call no-mans land..Aroi maak..

hey Aus,

how are ya?

what price did you pay for ya samosas?