Wussiest Bike In All Of Thailand?

submaniac

It's apparent you're an American....why you attacking our bikes! :o But seriously, Harley's had a corner on the 'cruiser' market since, what, 19-teens? Whole different segment than what the rice burners are in, although HD has had some success (in the past) at racing. Furthermore, looking soley at HP instead of torque can be quite misleading. Look at farm tractors for instance (since everyone complains that HD transmissions shift like one). If you were to look only at the HP you'd assume that the tractor couldn't do the job intended for it. However, a quick look at the torque, which is what counts, tells a different story. Also, you can't fault the manufacturer for the idiocy of its customers. Otherwise we'd have to call all Honda cars Fast & The Furious wannabes.

I personally have nothing against the Boss/Phantom. They're bigger bikes than what I would want, and definitely not my style. If they were more like a Sportser (sp?), I might think about it, but I never understood the chopper bike. Oh well.

Have a fair amount of experience with farm tractors so I know exactly where you are coming from when it comes to torque. But a tractor's purpose is to work, and such work includes pulling heavy loads where a motorcyle is a transportation device. I'm not knocking Harleys, and I'd no doubt prefer one to a Japanese machine as long as the model I selected didn't have too much chrome on it, but I'd probably prefer a BMW to both. Either marque has in my opinion far more character than the Japanese makes. But the Harleys sure are slow compared to the competition's models. And that's the same bad rap the Phantoms are getting. Question is, how much speed do you need or really want? If I were living in the U.S. the Harley would offer me all the performance I could want while providing that gobs of Torque you are talking about. But, and this is my point, here in Pattaya the Phantom offers all the performance that is really needed. In fact having much more is tantamount to executing one's death wish.

I guess the way I look at it is I like to have the option to loaf along in top gear (without the engine lugging) and still be able to open it up and passing someone without the need to drop a couple of gears. No matter the vehicle I am in. I don't know if the Phantom has this ability, but IF I were looking at one, it wouldn't be for top speed, but rather what we were just discussing.

I do whole heartedly second your comments about character. BMW's horizontally opposed twin and HD's Vee twin really stand out. However, it's kinda hard to get excited about straight fours when every Japanese manufacturer is doing the same. Triumph is another brand I wish I had the dinero for.....

Never wanted to own a Harley as I thought they were just too crude and that whole cruiser image never appealed to me. But I appreciate them as they're different and have plenty of character which, these days, is so hard to find. Can't say BMWs did much for me either even though I know they're beautifully engineered and reliable; just not enough soul IMO. Triumphs? Yeah, getting warm.

I had an old Ducati 900ss which I bought new in '79 and a '76 250 Desmo single. Usual Italian philosophy; beautiful engine and gearbox, good brakes and handling and the rest is chucked-in for free. Had them both until reasonably recently but boy, I wish I had them over here. Mind you, parts would be a nightmare over here. Mmm, perhaps not. I think a near-standard Yamaha SR 500 might float my boat over here. Strong and simple with an engine that has some character.

Wussiest bike over here? Whilst agreeing with everything said above about the Phantom, every time I see one I just can't forget there's this tiny little piston flying up and down trying its hardest to make a bit of noise to match the bike's image. IMO, a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Character. I think it means they don't make enough of those bikes so they have to say they have character. Barney the Blue Dinosaur had character, and he was one! The Russian Ural with sidecar has character, but I doubt it has much else going for it (probably even got the BMW driveshaft wrong when they copied it, meaning they got it right!!).

Like that Suzuki VTwin sport bike, or even the Buell twin with the lousy Harley Sportster engine: those can be great sport bikes, regardless how many they make.

If you enjoy it, it is not wussy. If you hate it, a Harley Road King is wussy.

HI

It’s funny to see how people write bad about Harleys, from the start this was not about Harley but everybody turn to Harley, a funny thing is that nobody have said to me, god your bike is ugly, and a lot of people will stop and have a look at it,(maybe they dont want to tell me its ugly after spend 1.4mill on it) I really like Ducati, but I like Harleys as well so I ended up with a Harley. If I wanted speed I would have a ZZR 1100, I don’t want speed, I just want a nice bike, and to go from Phuket to Chiang Mai and home again, I have been riding fast bikes for many many years, just getting to old for them now,,, and Thai roads are not for 200K/H+.

Hi :D

Here, just because someone mentioned that, "Finos are for sissy boys who like other boys", well i'm a sissy boy who likes other boys but i would NOT ride a Fino :D Yeah, they're cute and all, and i WOULD ride one - if they came in MANUAL! I can't stand automatic transmissions in motorbikes (apart from the ooooold Honda "Hondamatic" with two gears and a real "shift" when switching gears).....

So my vote is "any motorbike with automatic transmission" for they are made for lazy asses or girls (the female kind).

And here's what i ride - a BULLDOZER of a bike, Yamaha RXZ 135!

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thanh,

You

1) Rebuilt a 5,000 baht heap motorcycle into a cool stunner

2) Want to import an old (probably difficult to maintain) German scooter

3) Are into high revving 2 stroke engines.

4) Refuse to ride an automatic tranny bike.

It seems to me that you are "manlier" than alot of the straight guys in this country. :o

As for the Harleys....

Yes I own one in the states. The point of the Harley is to be comfortable on the freeway. Big and heavy? That just means it will absorb the bumps, and not get knocked around in the wind. Compared to a Japanese bike, yes they are not that fast, but they are still pretty fast and can still out accelerate alot of ferrari's and corvettes. The Harley riders' thing is not to race...the Harley guys are more into long distance touring. Why do the old 'geezers', who have been riding for 40 years and are still going, ride Harleys? Because they want to be comfortable.

Also should note that I don't buy into the Harley 'image'. I respect anyone who rides because they face the same dangers I do. My friend actually just got a Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter, than looks like the 1940's Indians. Drool. I wish I had gotten that. 1800cc's, shaft drive, and gorgeous body.

Two things I do like about Harley.

1) you won't get outdated. It seems to me it would suck to spend alot of $$$ on a bike, and a few years down the road, have it replaced by another model. That is the danger with the Japanese bikes. No matter how old your Harley is, you will not be ashamed to ride it just because it is old.

2) A Harley rider generally does know how to ride. They are BIG bikes and not easy to control at low speed. If I see you on a big Roadking, I will at least give you that you have some riding skill. A motorcycle newbie? Your "Roadking" will be on its side, on the road.

I had an old Ducati 900ss which I bought new in '79 and a '76 250 Desmo single. Usual Italian philosophy; beautiful engine and gearbox, good brakes and handling and the rest is chucked-in for free. Had them both until reasonably recently but boy, I wish I had them over here. Mind you, parts would be a nightmare over here. Mmm, perhaps not.
Well at least there's an official Ducati dealer on Thonglor now.

I love my Cat over here.

I actually look forward to the daily commute to work now and once out of second gear, it just flies. :o

Hi :o

Thanks for that.... i do consider myself a "power queen", if you heard that - i am effeminate in behaviour (by choice i have to say...) but i don't mind handling tools made of steel :D It is my profession after all...... yes, it's true, my trusty Bulldozer was a poor litle pile of junk when i got it for 5,000 Baht, and it's quite a looker now - not because of beauty like most Harleys but just because of plain craziness :D And i am nowhere near done with it yet - i have a "Racing Boy" footrest set coming from Malaysia and next thing i will tackle is to get a rear disc brake in there, which means Yamaha VRR parts and lots of own initiative and a few home-made parts :D Believe it or not, since i got this 5,000-Baht-motorcycle i have done 26.000 Kilometers with it and it hasn't let me down even once! Apart from when i forced it thru Sukhumvit road when it was almost hip-deep flooded last year - the spark plug well under water my Bulldozer kept on chugging, but at some stage i got water in the carb and the trip was finished. On higher ground i drained the carb, first kick and there was my trusty two-stroke ranng-danng-danng again :D I continued on, and had to drain once more before i finally got home - but made it. So it should qualify as a semi-submersible as well.

About the Harleys, i have never owned one but did test-ride one (a Sportster) for a weekend.... it vibrated so violently that i lost a bunch of bolts and nuts and parts too - fender holder, indicators - it was an expensive test because i had to replace those parts myself of course. I would not want to own one for that precise reason - they shake themselves apart and parts are horribly expensive, as are the bikes themselves. But i agree - be it a 1955 one or a 1995 one, you will ALWAYS be proud of it. I respect Harley-ownesr, i jus tasy it's not for me - yet neither are Japanese (or other!) racing bikes, i call those "yoghurt cups" :bah:

My type is the classic one - naked bike, as little plastic as possible, chrome can but not necessary, and as simple and solid technology as possible. Yamaha SR 500 as someone mentioned - YES, my type. Harley too! Except for above reasons, everything else appeals to me. Ducati? Definitely! BMW? Yes, also! But the boxer ones only. And the mentioned "Ural" or it's brother "Dnepr" and oriental step-brother Yangtse-Kiang - anytime!

About the two-strokes - i am into two-strokes as such, the high-revving not s much actually. Ok mine Yamaha is a high-revver as most Japanese ones, but in Germany i had a low-rev/high-torque Zundapp KS 175 - it's engine nicknamed "Buffalo" for a reason :bah: And i ever wanted to get hands on one of those 300cc MZ's... those MUST be steam-hammers at 300cc, single cylinder, two-stroke. But never got one :..(

And finally, what i wish to import (but can't afford....) is a Zundapp KS 50 which is certainly not a scooter :o I like Vespa scooters too, but that Zundapp is a small motorcycle - i'll attach a picture. Not even a Moped, it's a 50cc "open class" bike, speedwise unrestricted, with 6.25 hp and going over 110 KM/h. They're just somewhat smaller than "real" motorbikes. I had several of those and LOVE them. My favourite is the one in the pic, the 1979 model.

With kind regards......

Thanh

post-13387-1201613984_thumb.jpg

Heh, if the Fino is the wussiest bike in Thailand, then I have to say I'm probably the biggest wuss around, because I just love mine! I got the Limited Edition model, and it's soon gonna be pimped up like the best (worst?) of them! Yup, new seats, about 4 extra lights, cupholders and claxons, a load of 'chrome', a Thai flag or two, the whole deal. Even thinking 'bout getting a cute egg-shaped sidecar for it, too if I can find one!

Heh, if the Fino is the wussiest bike in Thailand, then I have to say I'm probably the biggest wuss around, because I just love mine! I got the Limited Edition model, and it's soon gonna be pimped up like the best (worst?) of them! Yup, new seats, about 4 extra lights, cupholders and claxons, a load of 'chrome', a Thai flag or two, the whole deal. Even thinking 'bout getting a cute egg-shaped sidecar for it, too if I can find one!
Well, then it won't be wussy. It will be unique, or a copy of a vespa, and have character. Cupholders are not wussy; some leading car testers used to criticize Jaguar saloons terribly for not having cupholders, but Chrysler minivans had lots of them. Better yet, get some desmodrotic valves on those cupholders.

Hi :o

About those "extra lights", it sure looks soo retro (like the "mod" Vespas back then....) BUT you don't have the power to actually USE the lights! because if you turn 'em ON, sure they all come ON but all just very dim. Because the electric system of the bike only puts out like.... 50 watts or whatever, and if you hang 150 watts if lights on there you'll see nothing on the road.

And the worst is - with those 4-5 headlights dimly shining, so does your tail light - so each time you switch ON your show-lights, you go dark in the rear and whatever follows you might hit you.

And if you get the Thai flag, PLEASE tell me WHERE you got it - i want one for my bike too, always see them on Finos but just where the heck do people get them.... never see them for sale in any shop!!

Best regards......

Thanh

Well, then it won't be wussy. It will be unique, or a copy of a vespa, and have character. Cupholders are not wussy; some leading car testers used to criticize Jaguar saloons terribly for not having cupholders, but Chrysler minivans had lots of them. Better yet, get some desmodrotic valves on those cupholders.

Desmodrotic valves? What are those, PB? :o

The Joker...as well as those JRD scooters with tiny wheels and ridiculous looking oversized body kits..

Seconded, they are far too small and poxy for the roads, hit a big pothole or bump and it's all over...

Those poncy vespa-type scooters the students ride around. Pure wuss.

RusticCharm can explain desmos and maybe spell them better. It is a positive closing of the valve rather than trusting a valve spring to close it. I was joking about such cam closures for a cupholder.

Sorry, PB; was just pulling your leg re spelling. Yeah, as an ex-mechanic and long-time Ducati owner, I'm familiar with desmodronic valvegear. Mind you, one can probably find desmo cupholders on a Merc or something. Actually, I reckon the Fino's pretty good. I like the way owners all feel the need to stamp their own personality on them. A bit like Beetles or 2CVs. If I could find a decent Lambretta I'd love to have one in Thailand and burden it down with all the mod paraphernalia. You're right; if you enjoy what you ride, it's not wussy.

RusticCharm can explain desmos and maybe spell them better. It is a positive closing of the valve rather than trusting a valve spring to close it. I was joking about such cam closures for a cupholder.

Sorry, PB; was just pulling your leg re spelling. Yeah, as an ex-mechanic and long-time Ducati owner, I'm familiar with desmodronic valvegear. Mind you, one can probably find desmo cupholders on a Merc or something. Actually, I reckon the Fino's pretty good. I like the way owners all feel the need to stamp their own personality on them. A bit like Beetles or 2CVs. If I could find a decent Lambretta I'd love to have one in Thailand and burden it down with all the mod paraphernalia. You're right; if you enjoy what you ride, it's not wussy.

Waay back in 1963/63 I had a 1958 Lambretta Ld 150 which would run for ever at 50 mph but increase that to 55 mph and it would overheat and die. Wait 10 minutes and would be OK.

That was my first experience of maintaining vehicles as I changed the transmission oil but it looked a bit low so I filled it up. Bearing in mind it was a 2 stroke anyway for a few days it was like a battleship making smoke. It was just like being at the lights in BKK in the old 2 stroke days when the lights changed.

It was a 6 volt system with no battery and direct lighting and horn. The faster the engine ran the brighter the lights and the louder the horn.

My mate Willie Wilson was cooler than me as he had a 175cc Triumph Tiger Cub.

They were the good old fun days. :o:D :D

Waay back in 1963/63 I had a 1958 Lambretta Ld 150 which would run for ever at 50 mph but increase that to 55 mph and it would overheat and die. Wait 10 minutes and would be OK.

That was my first experience of maintaining vehicles as I changed the transmission oil but it looked a bit low so I filled it up. Bearing in mind it was a 2 stroke anyway for a few days it was like a battleship making smoke. It was just like being at the lights in BKK in the old 2 stroke days when the lights changed.

It was a 6 volt system with no battery and direct lighting and horn. The faster the engine ran the brighter the lights and the louder the horn.

My mate Willie Wilson was cooler than me as he had a 175cc Triumph Tiger Cub.

They were the good old fun days. :o:D:D

My first set of two wheels with a motor was a Series 2 TV 175 which I bought for about a tenner in '74. Put Series 3 panels on it and resprayed it but didn't do much else apart from a flyscreen and a rear rack. I had a flying start re the maintenance as my older brother had been a Mod in the '60s and I used to help him work on his. Padded the crank and bunged on a Wal Phillips fuel injector. Went well but only kept it a couple of years before getting a motorbike. Still interested in Lambrettas though. Saw a nice SX 200 in KK last month.

Those little 50cc jobbies. Think Honda even makes a version. Wouldn't catch me on one, rather walk.
Even the wife thinks the Fino is too wussie.

And as for the pink ones......yuk.

Any pink bike is a wussie bike. I saw a guy riding around on a bright little pink bike the other day, shameless bugger.

How about a 50cc jobbie AND pink AND with a Hello Kitty motif?

post-9005-1202447486_thumb.jpg

* I most stridently deny any and all attempts to say that is myself riding this nausea-inducing bike. *

Edited by sriracha john

Those little 50cc jobbies. Think Honda even makes a version. Wouldn't catch me on one, rather walk.
Even the wife thinks the Fino is too wussie.

And as for the pink ones......yuk.

Any pink bike is a wussie bike. I saw a guy riding around on a bright little pink bike the other day, shameless bugger.

How about a 50cc jobbie AND pink AND with a Hello Kitty motif?

post-9005-1202447486_thumb.jpg

* I most stridently deny any and all attempts to say that is myself riding this nausea-inducing bike. *

Heyyyy....

That one is WAY cute!! Is that a Dax or a Monkey? Anyway same engine as in the Super Cubs....... I love those little ones, they are such a fun to run around with :o

Best regards....

Thanh

• 1 month later...
It's more often the case that the rider is too wussy for the bike.

I'd prefer to see a guy riding the heck out of a crappy 100cc bike than a bloke puttering around gently on a gleaming 1100cc monster. Ride it like you mean it :o

good point