3 Month Workpermit - Why?

Hello,

I came to Thailand last year December on a double entry TV (£56 paid which in the end really didn't need anyway :o , but was offered and accepted a job-offer in BKK. I went to Malaysia and did a Non Immigrant B visa (single entry, valid for 3 months), and then returned to Thailand (and thus used up my single entry visa). It's my first time working in Thailand.

We then went to the one stop visa center (excellent and fast service!), and got my WP ready within 1 hour, but it was only valid for 3 months. I was told that it was because my Non Immigrant B visa was not valid for more than 3 months. This means that the WP needs to be reapplied within the next 3 months, or soonest after my first pay slip - but this time for 1 year. I also then have to apply for reentry visa at the same time.

Is this all correct, and is this the reason why I wasn't given a 1 year WP?

Cheers.

J

Yes that is correct - a work permit can not be active for longer than your visa allowed entry.

But you only are allowed 90 days in Thailand unless you obtain a one year extension of stay from Immigration. You do not need a re-entry permit if you have not extended. If you do not qualify for extension of stay you will have to take work permit and company paperwork outside Thailand and apply for a new visa. Then you extend the work permit after you return.

Yep, as Lop says the WP is only valid to the end of your current permit to stay.

The process is as follows (abridged):-

1. Get WP, valid to end of current stay.
  2. Go to immigration and get extension based on having WP (assuming your salary is sufficient), don't forget to get a re-entry permit (if you intend leaving the country).
  3. Go to Labour Dept. and extend WP to match extension.
  4. Repeat from 2 next year

QED

Edited by Crossy

I got my work permit and Non B today. The school I work for took care of the paperwork so I know nothing about how it is presented to the MOL . ( Ministry of Labor). Our first stop today was the MOL. We picked up the work permit and the school paid B700. The work permit is due to expire on Jan 27, 2008 due to my arrival stamp expiring on the same date. I had a Non O before the switch and had been doing my 90 day border runs. We then went to Immigration and got the Non B which expires on Sept 20, 2008 which I paid B1900 for. We then went to a branch of the MOL and extend my work permit until Sept 30, 2008 which the school paid B3100 for. then I went home. All in all fairly painless but if a foriegner is doing it on their own I'd imagine it could be quite difficult.

Edited by twschw

Actually you paid 1,900 baht for a one year extension of your current visa entry. A visa would have cost 2,000 baht and only have been valid for a 90 day period of stay.

Any travel will require you obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving Thailand to keep your current extension of stay alive.

Ahhh, ok. Thanks, and I also now understand (from point 2 below) that the need to show the payslip is to show that the salary is enough.

Hmmm, a lot of paperwork, "visa runs" and "red tape".... I will have to get used to it. The actual process itself (i.e. when you actually do everything seem to go quite smooth do. I've always been friendly and very efficient and very fast so far. As long as paper work is prepared, things seem to go easy.

Cheers,

J

Yep, as Lop says the WP is only valid to the end of your current permit to stay.

The process is as follows (abridged):-

1. Get WP, valid to end of current stay.
  2. Go to immigration and get extension based on having WP (assuming your salary is sufficient), don't forget to get a re-entry permit (if you intend leaving the country).
  3. Go to Labour Dept. and extend WP to match extension.
  4. Repeat from 2 next year

QED

confusing...

i have got non imm b visa for 90 days from my country. And yes, my wp is also valid till that date.

Now, how do i extend my non imm b visa? i hope i don't need to go out of the country right?

i''ll continue to work and my company has full support for me..

any advise?

You visit an Immigration office with the documents required to extend your stay. If you can not meet the requirements (salary for you nationality, company profits to support the salary, etc) you will have to travel outside of Thailand to obtain a new visa or visa entry every 90 days.

Immigration extension of stay requirements are not the same as for work permit or visa. There are many people with those that can not extend and must make border crossings every 90 days.

Please read the pinned item at top of forum "useful information" and use the link to police order 606/2006. That provides the basic requirements for various employment extensions of stay. You will most likely have to show a great many papers to Immigration but the exact requirements vary - most companies have law staff to assist in this.