Mafia

Don Aleman

I have been in Thailand 3 years and, daily, hear about the MAFIA. Originally from Chicago, a small village, nestled between the Midwestern mountain range, I know mafia ! Here they say Baht Bus mafia, street vendor mafia, and on...............

The mafia I knew, and loved, had stretch limos. high class broads, $2000 suits, police officials on their payroll, mansions and, class. I've seen no evidence of that here. ( except fpr thr government of course ), so - is there a mafia office, or web site I can consult to ?

I have been in Thailand 3 years and, daily, hear about the MAFIA. Originally from Chicago, a small village, nestled between the Midwestern mountain range, I know mafia ! Here they say Baht Bus mafia, street vendor mafia, and on...............

The mafia I knew, and loved, had stretch limos. high class broads, $2000 suits, police officials on their payroll, mansions and, class. I've seen no evidence of that here. ( except fpr thr government of course ), so - is there a mafia office, or web site I can consult to ?

What are you a wana be Mafia Don? You love a respect Murders/pimps/drug dealers! Get a life.

im not sure about a website but they have a few offices located around pattaya.......a main one at soi 9 beach road and another one especially for tourists on the hill road to pratumnak.they dont have $2000 suits but do wear a brown uniform so you know them from thr crowd. :o

Sensational piece recently on the "Pattya People" about the "MAFIA" mobile street vendors that go from bar to bar selling belts, dvds etc. with the police turning a blind eye and scared FARANG owners.

It was so retarded it was funny, it was as if these guys had the whole of pattaya bar scene in terrorized..... :o

All Mafias around the world have lost a lot of respect and appeal.

This is because, about 20 years ago, the smarter ones began to realize that there's more money to be made doing legal business, investing in legal businesses, banks, etc.

Not worth the risk of getting ratted out, going to prison, just to make less money.

This is when motorcycle gangs started taking over the businesses such as manufacturing synthetic drugs, money laundering, etc.

The former white collar crimes of the mafia have become the present blue collar crimes of hel_l's Angels, etc.

Mafias just don't pack the same punch that they used to.

In Thai it refers to any group of people who's activities are illegal.

Very true...when Thai's use the term "mafia," they are usually referring to anyone or group engaging in illegal or questionable activities. These activities can be organized or unorganized.

The term mafia is used quite loosely in Pattaya. There are definitely unsavory characters trying to strong arm certain businesses and sometimes they succeed. Better to call them small time hoods.

A friend of mine and I were trying to get a taxi in Pattaya to go to Bangkok. We spotted one sitting at the curb. He agreed to take us to Bangkok for 800 baht. Just as we were going to get in the taxi, a Thai guy walked up and demanded 200 baht from us. We declined and walked down the street. We didn't get very far when that same taxi pulled up and told us to get in. He assured us that the fare was 800 baht and away we went. I asked him about the Thai guy wanting 200 baht. He grinned at me and told me that the guy was the taxi mafia and that some taxis do pay because the taxi mafia finds them customers. Mafia ? Very poor description. :o

Don't get caught buying anything from the Som Tam mafia. Everything they have is "hot".

Sorry, i'll get my coat now :D

You should see the Beach Mafia handing out sun umbrella's... "Shady" ...

Get my coat while your there!

:o

Got it.

Do you know why the Pizza Mafia went out of business? Everybody else wanted a "slice" :D

Anybody else need their coat, while i'm getting ours?

Edited by mrbojangles

English words that have been co-opted into Thai are often shortened and have their meanings altered slightly. The vast majority of Thais dislike multi-syllabic English terms so organized crime (4 syllables) becomes mafia (2 syllables). Nice 'n' easy. :o

English words that have been co-opted into Thai are often shortened and have their meanings altered slightly. The vast majority of Thais dislike multi-syllabic English terms so organized crime (4 syllables) becomes mafia (2 syllables). Nice 'n' easy. :o

So you're the Syllable mafia eh Briggsy. 4 for you, 2 for me, 4 for you, 2 for me....... :D

The Baht Bus Mafia has an office on Nakeua Rd between Soi 17/2 and 17/3. The sign on the door says "Pattaya Bus Co-operative", a fancy name for a collection of th.....'s. It is Just across the road from a school.

If you go there you can ask, why they want 200B from the BKK taxi drivers, or why they do not follow any set routes timetables or fares, or what is the difference between a bus and a taxi (for extra points ask about air-conditioning and windows to keep the weather at bay during the different parts of the year). I would wear protective clothing for this mission.

In Thai it refers to any group of people who's activities are illegal.

Very true...when Thai's use the term "mafia," they are usually referring to anyone or group engaging in illegal or questionable activities. These activities can be organized or unorganized.

Agree, except.......as far as I understand the Thai mention "mafia" if they mean: 2 or more people organized in activities that are not always appreciated by other people. This doesn't have to be illegal.

Ex. motorbike-taxi mafia, song taew mafia, mafia police, etc.

The Baht Bus Mafia has an office on Nakeua Rd between Soi 17/2 and 17/3. The sign on the door says "Pattaya Bus Co-operative", a fancy name for a collection of th.....'s. It is Just across the road from a school.

If you go there you can ask, why they want 200B from the BKK taxi drivers, or why they do not follow any set routes timetables or fares, or what is the difference between a bus and a taxi (for extra points ask about air-conditioning and windows to keep the weather at bay during the different parts of the year). I would wear protective clothing for this mission.

So if the term mafia describes a group engaged in illegal activities, please point out which of the activities you state above is illegal. :o

Please keep in mind that Bangkok taxis are not licensed to pick up passengers in Pattaya and it is certainly not illegal for the company owning the rights to pick up passengers in Pattaya to collect a surcharge for allowing it.

Seems to me the term mafia, as used by farangs in Thailand, has come to mean any Thai (or Russian) group of people that seem to have some sort of monopoly on a particular business, even if it is a legal business

TH