Laptop Runaround

Tammi

Clearing out old files I came across letter written to Pattaya Mail by a guy (Derek) who had spilled a few drops of coffee on his laptop keyboard and machine would not boot a few days later. Nobody in Pattaya could fix so he took to Pantip Plaza in Bangkok to the Toshiba Service shop who said it would cost 30,000 to 50,000 baht to repair and would still be suspect so better to buy a new computer from them. Derek managed to find out that the Service shop got its spares from Chevalier Telecom Ltd in Barnrungmuang Road and he went there and had the machine cleaned for 1,200 baht and they gave him a 3 month warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Good to know - but what make of computer?

I have an old laptop that could do with a lot of repair, but it is a German model (Advent) made for PC World in UK as an 'own brand'.

By the way, while I am on the subject, I intend to buy a new laptop anyway. Can anyone give me a quick indication of price for a 17" Acer (don't know the model) as I am leaving Saudi soon and they have an offer in Carrefour here that equates to less than 22,000 baht.

I haven't seen anything in Tukcom for less than about 25k (laptop, that is).

Although I received this message today from my esteemed colleagues in the IT Dept.

Seizure of Laptops and Electronics devices across Borders

Materials Logistics Department hereby alerts the company-sponsored travelers that their laptops and other electronic devices (such as Blackberries, iPhones, iPods, flash drives and cameras) can be seized and their information downloaded by the Customs officials while crossing borders without explanation or provocation. This includes personal photographs, personal banking, any business documents, and stored or unopened e-mail.

Therefore, employees are reminded to adopt the following measures while traveling out of Saudi Arabia:

Carry a laptop or electronic device you can afford to lose.

Carry only limited or no proprietary business information or personnel records regarding your employer, and/or employees.

Limit your personal information on any computer used for travel

No personal banking information

No personal photographs that you wouldn't want made public

No personal correspondence that you wouldn't want made public

No personal health information

No password information of any kind

Email sensitive data ahead of time (before crossing a border) so it is not lost if the computer is seized.

Ask for a receipt and a badge number of the individual taking your laptop or electronic device if your equipment is seized.

Cooperate with Customs and Border Protection officers.

Employees may contact the Global Travel Services 24 Hour Call Center at (03) 874-5000 for any clarifications and assistance in this regard.

Manager,

Materials Logistics Department

http://announcements.aramco.com.sa/

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Clearing out old files I came across letter written to Pattaya Mail by a guy (Derek) who had spilled a few drops of coffee on his laptop keyboard and machine would not boot a few days later. Nobody in Pattaya could fix so he took to Pantip Plaza in Bangkok to the Toshiba Service shop who said it would cost 30,000 to 50,000 baht to repair and would still be suspect so better to buy a new computer from them. Derek managed to find out that the Service shop got its spares from Chevalier Telecom Ltd in Barnrungmuang Road and he went there and had the machine cleaned for 1,200 baht and they gave him a 3 month warranty.

the problem with laptops is that unlike a desk-top PC they are not "modular" in construction so frequently an apparently minor bit of damage (USB not working) can require the entire motherboard to be replaced.......so a lot of partially trained people will just suggest the easy way out, the trick is to find someone who knows enough to make that decision based on a sound knowledge of laptops.

There is a fantastic place for laptop repair in Tukcom South Pattaya road .They have a set fee of 200 baht to repair your laptop plus extra for parts if needed .They are on the 3 rd floor and have a web site www.pattaya2u.com .They fixed my old Acer ,which i thought was beyond repair .

There is a fantastic place for laptop repair in Tukcom South Pattaya road .They have a set fee of 200 baht to repair your laptop plus extra for parts if needed .They are on the 3 rd floor and have a web site www.pattaya2u.com .They fixed my old Acer ,which i thought was beyond repair .

I also highly recommend Pattaya2u .. Bought a computer from there for 15,000 baht with free lifetime repairs.. Its been the best computer I have ever had. They even offered to fix my old computer for free! I used to spend 30,000+ on computers which used to freeze on me all the time, this one has been perfect. Not 1 problem so far.. Go to Pattaya2u!!

I also highly recommend Pattaya2u .. Bought a computer from there for 15,000 baht with free lifetime repairs.. Its been the best computer I have ever had. They even offered to fix my old computer for free! I used to spend 30,000+ on computers which used to freeze on me all the time, this one has been perfect. Not 1 problem so far.. Go to Pattaya2u!!

As of today, the website www.pattaya2u.com has nothing regarding a computer shop. It seems to be a travel agent.

>>As of today, the website www.pattaya2u.com has nothing regarding a computer shop. It seems to be a travel agent. <<

Their domain name expired on the 15th of feb .I passed by their shop about 4 weeks ago and it was still operational ,with the usual large number of customers .