Canadian News Item

Lilawadee

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought this subjct was taboo here.

That's why I didn't answer your e-mail that went into the specifics of the trade.

The topic here is Thailand's reputation abroad, how it is reported on. I think many people found it interesting to see how far off base a piece of journalism can actually end up. This topic is not about discussing prostitution, it's about the extreme and incorrect ways that Thailand sometimes gets reported on.

It's an easy topic to get side tracked from however, so I would imagine the conversation can be brought to a conclusion at some point. I would hope to leave it just a bit longer so more people can see the link to the news item, but it's the site management's call on that, who have to weigh the news-worthyness of the topic compared to the way the discussion is going.

I agree there are better places to discuss the specifics of the scene, so I for one won't continue that here.

Edited by Lilawadee

i always wanted to know how much they make at nana.

avg? or by median incum?

i just see so many who dont have many many customer. how they make money?

ps. i think too many of you hung up on the factual in accuracies. i think report trying to get across the notion if u want kids one of yr choices is los.

no pun intended i hope

a mainstream brothel

:D Sorry, I agree with you, I just thought this was funny. :o

And to be even more pedantic, I don't think it's technically a brothel, because a brothel is a place where commercial sex takes place, within the building.

they implied that was possible too, for 600 b.

i think the report was pretty shameful, the voiceovers were atrocious and not to get hung up on semantics, the term brothel was used in a misleading manner, not to mention the implication that the majority of the women shown on screen were underage.

that said however, it was so contrived it had the ring of satire and actually would have been quite funny had it not been represented as a serious attempt at journalism

Edited by t.s

so how would you people like thailand to be portrayed!

there are very few things in los that sets it apart from other countries that are noteworthy that people worlwide w ould be interested in.

no offense to los. but it is not an interesting place. not a world power, not a financial power, not a sports power,etc......

los is a place where if it didnt get bad publicity it wouldnt get any publicity at all.

Edited by blizzard

The problem with this kind of 'reporting' is it actually will encourage a bunch of pedophiles to go to Thailand.

Absolutely.

I remember well the John Mark Karr incident. Unbelievable the amount of extravagent reporting.

Pedophiles must have been licking their lips at the prospect of finding 9 year-old lolipops available at every streeet corner.

Again, absolutely, it's this kind of reporting which encourages the worst of the worst to actually come to LOS in the first place. Theoretically, it could also be one reason why so many of them get caught in Thailand. I mean according to sensationalist reports, the pedos think they can simply 'buy their way out!' or 'no-one bats an eye-lid!'

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Truthfully.

I can accept any angle or viewpoint, as long as they're not peddling porkies to an audience they claim to inform.

If the angle is that the sex scene is out of control in Thailand, show it and make the case, and I will likely agree.

If the angle is that there's huge differences in income in Thailand, and that money=face=status=everything prompting many to pursue sex work, make the case and I will likely agree.

If the angle is the lack of education in large parts of the country, then make the case, and I will likely agree.

..and so on.

You see, there's real stories to be told WITHOUT the need to misinform. Some people in this discussion took the position of 'well if it highlights an issue then lying is warranted'.. I disagree. Since when did it become acceptable for journalists to state completely false information? When you're an NGO there's slightly more leeway here, but as a journalist you report the truth, or you're not a journalist but something else, a campaigner perhaps.

there are very few things in los that sets it apart from other countries that are noteworthy that people worlwide w ould be interested in.

I COMPLETELY agree, and I would actually like to see Thailand make the news internationally more often. The full truth, that's sometimes ugly, sometimes beautiful.

no offense to los. but it is not an interesting place. not a world power, not a financial power, not a sports power,etc......

los is a place where if it didnt get bad publicity it wouldnt get any publicity at all.

There are lots of thing that set it apart. Not at interesting place? Oh really? I find it fascinating.

A very unique and wonderful cuisine, loved all over the world, experience it at the source.

Very friendly people, at least superficially, as many kinds of smiles as eskimos have words for snow.

The royal culture and longest living monarch.

World class beaches, wonderful national parks.

A large relatively rich, mostly Buddhist nation and culture.

Major truck manufacturing center.

Major rice exporter.

DVD copy hub.

Software copy hub.

Copy everything hub.

Shopping everywhere and anymore.

Food everywhere and anywhere.

Arse water sprayer at the toilets.

Really wet bathrooms.

Big snakes.

Just scratched the surface.

Anybody know her e-mail? She doesnt deserve any awards, nothing better than a pig faced liar in my opinion.

Global is a typical TV network with no integrity and a keen appetite for sensationalism. The report offers nothing more than the usual stereotyping that has been around for ages.

Perhaps the reporter should have gone into the smaller towns and villages where she would see that 99% of Thailand's pedophilia goes on completely within Thai society. I lived in Ban Phe and Rayong for short periods when I first moved here. I would play pool with a Thai friend in Ban Phe, and to get to the pool hall you passed the little brothel bars frequented by the local Thai men. I was shocked when I saw the ages of the girls sitting outside these bars. They appeared to be in there early to mid teens. These are not bars that farang go to or even know about, for the most part. Also, when I was living in Rayong there was a row of bars beside the night market where I would sometimes get my supper. Same thing there -- young teens dressed like women. And again, these are not bars that most farang even know about. They don't exist for the farang (obviously as they're not in areas where farang stay).

Yes, you should tell the network and the reporter what you think. Here's the contact info for Global BC (British Columbia):

7850 Enterprise Street

Burnaby, BC V5A 1V7

Main number: 604-420-2288

FAX number: 604-422-6427

News: [email protected]

Local programming: [email protected]

I always thought news agencies were meant to tell true stories. Made up stories with messages are for movie directors etc...

Unfortunately, mainstream media is full of misinformation and not much more than a propaganda tool for the elite. Please look for alternative news sources (typically found on the internet). Look for sources like Alex Jones and others who challenge the pack of lies we're told everyday by the BBC'c, NBC's and especially the FOX's of the world. Even if you don't agree with people like Alex Jones, you're better off to hear another side to the story. As we all know, every story has at least 2 sides to it, so why be willing to believe and only hear the one side told by the corporate biggies like those mentioned above with their own strong motives?

What video are you guys talking about...I clicked on the link and was taken to the YouTube home page. I keyed in a few relevant terms and came up with a 4-part series called "Bangkok Girl" that consisted of mostly a poignant interview with a girl who worked in a Nana area beer bar. The story was sorta sad in that she had apparently a tough home life and came to work in Bangkok at 13. There was not much about the nitelife activities of Bangkok...it was mostly about her sad story.

Is this the Canadian documentary you guys are referring too? I thought it was a pretty fair piece on the subject (this particular girl's life rather than sex-tourism in general).

Edited by jonniebkk

What video are you guys talking about...I clicked on the link and was taken to the YouTube home page. I keyed in a few relevant terms and came up with a 4-part series called "Bangkok Girl" that consisted of mostly a poignant interview with a girl who worked in a Nana area beer bar. The story was sorta sad in that she had apparently a tough home life and came to work in Bangkok at 13. There was not much about the nitelife activities of Bangkok...it was mostly about her sad story.

Is this the Canadian documentary you guys are referring too? I thought it was a pretty fair piece on the subject (this particular girl's life rather than sex-tourism in general).

bangkok girl was a mockumentary, a spoof.

jinggy, apreciate your efforts. but a lot on your list are available everyhere.

nice peeple found all over the planet.

beaches same same.

all countries have fine local food loved by all.

etc,etc etc.

to your others i just dont think many find them newsworhty or interesting at all.

i still say globally speaking los is known for one thing and one thing only................lol.

wow! your the first one who thinks thais are rich, relatively speaking. i gues they are if you comparing them to afreekans, cambos, llaos.