Cost Of Having A Baby - In Buriram

colmx

Hi All

My BFs sister is due to have a baby in the next 2 weeks

She has moved back to buriram (from Bkk) since today and intends to have the baby in the local hospital

Apparently she has some sort of occupational insurance with her (factory) job

This insurance will reimburse some of the hospital bills - but they must be paid first

She is not covered by the 30 baht scheme (don't know anyone in BFs village who is!)

So i'm presuming in advance that it willbe down to the farang (me!) to foot the bill for now

So my Questions:

BF reckons she will need to spend 4 days in hospital - anybody any ideas what this will cost for:

Room+obstetrician+Midwife+Medications+Vaccinations+Whatever other costs are associated with the birth?

Cost of the things that a new born baby needs:

BF reckons that the Baby will sleep in the bed with his sister - and not in a seperate cot, is this normal?

If so what is the cost of a Thai style double bed for the Mother and her baby?

Clothes+Blankets+Sterilization units+Buggy/Pram

Do they even use these kind of thigs in Rural Issan?

Just need to know what the costs will be until his sister and the new born baby are strong enough for the sister to go back to work

Thanks in advance for any advice or help as both BF ad I are completely clueless on this type of thing!

She is not covered by the 30 baht scheme (don't know anyone in BFs village who is!)

Why Not ?

Neither she nor her brother were resident in the village at the time when it was possible to sign up - therefore they don't qualify

And those who do qualify - still have to pay "consultant" fees under teh table for doctors and extortionate prices for medication

TIT after all!

And don't worry i trust my BF implicity - we are together 5.5 years now, so "whats his is mine" etc

So anybody out there with some figures for me so i can start budgeting?

Thanks!

Why Not ?

Neither she nor her brother were resident in the village at the time when it was possible to sign up - therefore they don't qualify

And those who do qualify - still have to pay "consultant" fees under teh table for doctors and extortionate prices for medication

TIT after all!

And don't worry i trust my BF implicity - we are together 5.5 years now, so "whats his is mine" etc

Thanks!

A local Hospital will be very cheap, I wouldn't worry about any major costs. I've never seen a pushchair being used in Issan.

For those that have to pay consultants fees and extortionate prices for medicine, also that's a new one on me too.

Maybe Buriram is different , but I have never come across such activity myself.

Your costs will be minimal anyway, a few nights out in UK will cost more! :o

Hi Maigo

Thanks for your input!

So it looks like the pushchair is off the shopping list!

Any idea if they have obstetricians in rural Issan hospitals - or is it just midwifes?

I'll adopt a wait and see approach regarding he hospital bill... Lets just hope that bkkperson above is wrong in his estimations

What about the special bed with one side for the mother and baby to sleep on... any idea of costs?

Also what about the actual "running" costs of having a baby

Do Thais go for the whold disposable nappy, milton sterilization etc etc

Or does life go on as normal Issan Style when the new baby arrives?

ie. Cold rain water for washing up etc

Regarding the consultant charges - I guess they just get tacked on when I'm around!

BFs mother had menningitis a few years back.... 30 baht doctors in Buriram didn't know what to do with her,and left her to die, so we moved her to Korat

Doctors in Korat probably saved her life - so i don't have mucht trust in the buriram doctors - but thats where the baby will be born anyway!

Thanks Again

Colmx

Why Not ?

TIT after all!

Thanks!

My wife has one of the cards you mentioned and has payed nothing additional for some heavy duty medicial treatments and test, including drugs, in Maharat Hospital located in Korat and a local hospital where we live. Bottom line the card is worth while and we have experienced no request for under the table payments. The only problem I see with the system is how slow it starts to work but once you get it rolling its okay.

I cannot give you details for births but the doctor fee for major adominal surgery in private hospital was 10k baht and anesthesia doctor was 7.5k baht. The total bill for 10 day stay including semi private room, operating room, equipment, meds, supplies and CT scan was just short of 70K baht.

I would think a government hospital total bill would be so much cheaper than above, provide no complications, for a birth.

Edited by ballbreaker

My wife was entitled to use my "bragan sang kom"(insurance) but decided not to as it was absolutely free at Sri Nakarin hospital in Khon Kaen. Not sure why as she is from Central Thailand.

With the insurance, you pay then can be re-imbursed up to 5,000 I believe.

The most I've heard of someone paying at a govt hospital in Isarn was 18,000.

My other daughter was 70,000 in Bamrungrad.

I may be selling a pram!

Cost is minimal unless you are milked by the family instead of mother being milked by baby .

In Tibet they use nappies from dried cow dung.