Tea Money Or Bulls%t

hi to all ,

some 1 from bkk may be able to help me here as i a little confused .....

last sat morning returning from hua hin to unon thani coming along where road 35 meets road 9 (outer ring road) i was stopped by b.i.b and told i had to pay 400bt for driving my pick up with my bike (honda click) in the back uncovered they kept us there talking with my tw for over half hour then let us go with warning .... my first time driving in bkk and my last , is it true you cant drive with uncovered load or just after some cash ?????

thanks martyn ... :o

hi to all ,

last sat morning returning from hua hin to unon thani coming along where road 35 meets road 9 (outer ring road) i was stopped by b.i.b and told i had to pay 400bt for driving my pick up with my bike (honda click) in the back uncovered they kept us there talking with my tw for over half hour then let us go with warning .... my first time driving in bkk and my last , is it true you cant drive with uncovered load or just after some cash ?????

thanks martyn ... :D

So many BS reasons for stopping you.....crossing white line? Speeding? driving with your mouth open? etc etc etc.

Invariably its a reason to get money.

I have zero patience, and I am certainly not prepared to be kept waiting, so I always have 200 baht at the ready. I do not even listen to what they say. Smile, say sorry, not have time and discreetly hand them 200 baht. Works EVERY time. Occasionally they try and get more. I just tell them either give me ticket or take the 200(with a smile). I have never had to wait more than 30 seconds. Stopped in total about 10 times in the last 3 yrs :o

hi to all ,

So many BS reasons for stopping you.....crossing white line? Speeding? driving with your mouth open? etc etc etc.

I have zero patience, and I am certainly not prepared to be kept waiting, so I always have 200 baht at the ready. I do not even listen to what they say. Smile, say sorry, not have time and discreetly hand them 200 baht. Works EVERY time. Occasionally they try and get more. I just tell them either give me ticket or take the 200(with a smile). I have never had to wait more than 30 seconds. Stopped in total about 10 times in the last 3 yrs :o

Martyn,

I don´t know the exact rules on this issue, but I think you and your wife did the right thing, don´t feed the corrupt policeforce!

JacknDanny, I think you are no hero when bribing the police, you will just make them continue their wrongdoings, when they can get easy money like that !

North

hi to all ,

thanks martyn ... :o

unless you got a "limo" honda click with 20 meters of it dangling off the back of your truck, there was no reason for them to pull you over. Really, if you see these people waving to pull you over, if you can, keep on going. Evade the guy....but if it looks like you might run over him, just pull over. Or.....pull over.....and once he is at the side of your car, take off! :D hahhaha.... Have you watched American police video shows? The only difference is, thai cops don't really go after you. I would look at where I'm at. If I'm on a route out of town then things are easier.

There is no real solution to stop cops from pulling you over for no reason. Unless of course, traffic cop salaries are to be raised which of course isn;t gonna happen.

hi to all ,

Martyn,

I don´t know the exact rules on this issue, but I think you and your wife did the right thing, don´t feed the corrupt policeforce!

JacknDanny, I think you are no hero when bribing the police, you will just make them continue their wrongdoings, when they can get easy money like that !

North

You are obviously new to Thailand :D

You and I are not going to prevent/encourage/discourage/slow down corruption in the Thai Police Force. It is ingrained into Thai society. So you have a choice .....Go with the flow, or refuse to play ball. The second option would mean a delay of many many minutes, possibly longer and in the end getting a ticket for some trumped up charge which would cost a lot more than 200 baht and would mean further wasted time going to the Police Station to pay it :D

Oh man.. this topic is so old. Unless the public gets together and protest these "unfair" conditions it's pretty much a "suggestion" / "advice" on how to live with the crap in our society.

Paying them off is a quick and easy solution, but surely not the correct one. One or two or five people holding a protest will not change anything possibly only will make their lives a living hel_l, everyone and I mean EVERYONE in South East Asia knows that the police force is corrupt.... and the answer.... "PAY THEM OFF".

It's one of those sad facts in our society and for the moment... we just have to live with it, until:

- Have a bunch of law makers willing to work for nothing laying down new "just" laws.

- Enforcers willing to work for nothing enforcing the law on everyone, putting their lives at risk.

Until then, carry a bit of "tea money" just in case.

Read through the posts here on places to avoid.

Read through the posts here to find out how much "tea" costs for the day.

-smile, it's a lovely day -

I have been stopped near Hua Hin three times and have never been fined. My wife is not Thai and I don't speak Thai. I don't think most of them speak much english so trying to tell me what the problem is, is to much hassel for them. I just hand them the registration and my drivers licence. They look at it smile and wave me on. I do believe if I had a Thai wife they would ask for something. We have dark windows so they do not know who they are pulling over.

BEENTHERE - guaranteed, if you had a tw, you'd pay BHT 200 every time.

For those with strong nerves, or on a highway, just keep on going. You need to make sure it's a "private" police stop though, not one of those where there is a road block and 30 coppers.

Here's why they won't come after you: First, unsure if they would catch up. Second, would take a long time. Third, during that time, they could have stopped 3 others and taken their tea money. Going after you is not good business.

Two cops waving you to stop, either keep going or pay BHT 200 without talking too much. Of if farang alone in the car, smile and nod your head and generally be clueless until they let you go :o