Smoking Ban - Will It Be Enforced?

KevinHunt

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will extend its ban on smoking to air-conditioned bars and offices and outdoor markets next month, joining major developed countries in a war on tobacco, a leading Thai anti-smoking agency said on Friday.

Smokers faced a 2,000 baht ($60) fine and owners who fail to enforce the law could be fined 20,000 baht ($600) after the ban takes effect on February 17, said the Thailand Health Promotion Institute, which helped push for the law.

Source

As far as I understand it from the above and conversations with the police Tuskers won't be affected as we are completely open air and have no air conditioning. I have no problem with setting up a no smoking area and always encourage smokers to be considerate, which the vast majority are.

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will extend its ban on smoking to air-conditioned bars and offices and outdoor markets next month, joining major developed countries in a war on tobacco, a leading Thai anti-smoking agency said on Friday.

Smokers faced a 2,000 baht ($60) fine and owners who fail to enforce the law could be fined 20,000 baht ($600) after the ban takes effect on February 17, said the Thailand Health Promotion Institute, which helped push for the law.

Source

As far as I understand it from the above and conversations with the police Tuskers won't be affected as we are completely open air and have no air conditioning. I have no problem with setting up a no smoking area and always encourage smokers to be considerate, which the vast majority are.

I was in Number 1 bar last night and they have a similar set up as Tuskers - open air and no A/C however they don't have a garden area. Avon (the manager) told us that smoking will be banned there from the date. Anyone wanting to light up will have to go into the street. I don't think this is going to be workable for them with customers leaving their drinks and heading outside for a puff. Adds to the potential of customers walking out and keep on walking after they forget to pay their tab.

CB

I was in Number 1 bar last night and they have a similar set up as Tuskers - open air and no A/C however they don't have a garden area. Avon (the manager) told us that smoking will be banned there from the date. Anyone wanting to light up will have to go into the street. I don't think this is going to be workable for them with customers leaving their drinks and heading outside for a puff. Adds to the potential of customers walking out and keep on walking after they forget to pay their tab.

CB

It has no airconditioning and open to the elements, seems rather counter productive to ban smoking. The 1,000 baht a week I spend there won't be missed I'm sure, when they implement it :o

CB

It has no airconditioning and open to the elements, seems rather counter productive to ban smoking. The 1,000 baht a week I spend there won't be missed I'm sure, when they implement it :D

Freddy is not happy about it but Avon said the Police told them that the fines will be enforced if the bar allows smoking inside the premises. I think it is going to be very interesting couple of weeks when the bans come into force. I suspect that it will be as rigorously enforced as the helmet, littering, drunk driving, burning, seatbelt, speeding, places of adult entertainment ( :o ) laws. In other words watch out for the off pay week Wednesday blitzes when the rules are zealously enforced. :D

CB

. . . . . I think it is going to be very interesting couple of weeks when the bans come into force. I suspect that it will be as rigorously enforced as the helmet, littering, drunk driving, burning, seatbelt, speeding, places of adult entertainment ( :o ) laws. In other words watch out for the off pay week Wednesday blitzes when the rules are zealously enforced. :D

CB

Why . . . such a cynic, you are. :D

What's not to stop the clubs and bars from just switching off the air con just before the cops come, and just claiming that their a non a/c establishment now (or that due to problems with the A/C their temporarily a non A/C place)? And then putting it back on when police leave? I'm sure if the air con is off for 20 minutes or so (and was on max before, so the place is quite cold) and if the punters r a bit drunk, most wouldn't even notice.

CB

It has no airconditioning and open to the elements, seems rather counter productive to ban smoking. The 1,000 baht a week I spend there won't be missed I'm sure, when they implement it :o

1,000 baht a week!!! I thought you were the BYOC (Bring Your Own Cointreau - no ice or mixer , please) type. :D

The older I get, the more difficult it becomes to put up with tobacco smoke in certain venues, however, requiring a non smoking section in an open bar seems beyond silly. :o

I've never smoked, and I'm not an anti-smoker (some of my best customers smoke) but I have sat outside and been bothered by a smoker on the next table. Sometimes a smoker will blow the smoke away from their partners face - into yours, or hold the cigarette away from their face - into yours or sometimes I get the impression that smoke naturally gravitates towards non-smokers. So sitting outdoors can be bothersome with smokers near by.

I don't agree with having a smoking ban, but I can see the need to have a no-smoking area outside if it's possible.

And although I'm pretty tolerant of smokers I do have one strong dislike - I can't stand cigars and most pipe smoke - I'd go along with a ban on them, if I could. :D

What's not to stop the clubs and bars from just switching off the air con just before the cops come, and just claiming that their a non a/c establishment now (or that due to problems with the A/C their temporarily a non A/C place)? And then putting it back on when police leave? I'm sure if the air con is off for 20 minutes or so (and was on max before, so the place is quite cold) and if the punters r a bit drunk, most wouldn't even notice.

Now that would have to be one of the dumbest posts in the past week.

Now that would have to be one of the dumbest posts in the past week.

Come on be fair - he's probably only about 12 years old :o

CB

Surely they wouldn't be in NO 1 Bar if they liked puffs??? :D

What is it with smokers - they say they like a puff and then tell you they've left their fags at home!!! What they do in the privacy of their own home shouldn't concern me!!! :o

The older I get, the more difficult it becomes to put up with tobacco smoke in certain venues, however, requiring a non smoking section in an open bar seems beyond silly. :o

I remember a time, back in the day, when the US was beginning to implement such an idea. I happened to stop in to a McD's for a cup of tea quite late at night. There were NO customers at all in either side of the place. I was a heavy smoker in those days so I took my tea to the smoking side (which was COMPLETELY isolated from the non-smoking side by the restaurant counter and kitchen. Completely walled off. After a few minutes two couples walked in, ordered, then sat down in the next table from me. (Remember.... the ENTIRE restaurant was empty...) They immediately began complaining about my smoke. I tried to politely explain to them that a) they were seated in the smoking section and that the entire other half of the restaurant was for non-smokers. I even did it with a smile. Then when they told me in no uncertain terms that they could sit where ever they wanted, :D politely told them to enjoy my smoke. They of course complained to the manager, who also told them that they could sit on the other side of the restaurant and not even see, much less smell the smoke, where upon they all stormed out bitching and moaning about the deplorable state of affairs. "Silly" apparently crosses cultural boundaries.

If you can't smoke in LA, why should you be allowed to smoke in Tahiti?

I remember a time, back in the day, when the US was beginning to implement such an idea. I happened to stop in to a McD's for a cup of tea quite late at night. There were NO customers at all in either side of the place. I was a heavy smoker in those days so I took my tea to the smoking side (which was COMPLETELY isolated from the non-smoking side by the restaurant counter and kitchen. Completely walled off. After a few minutes two couples walked in, ordered, then sat down in the next table from me. (Remember.... the ENTIRE restaurant was empty...) They immediately began complaining about my smoke. I tried to politely explain to them that a) they were seated in the smoking section and that the entire other half of the restaurant was for non-smokers. I even did it with a smile. Then when they told me in no uncertain terms that they could sit where ever they wanted, :o politely told them to enjoy my smoke. They of course complained to the manager, who also told them that they could sit on the other side of the restaurant and not even see, much less smell the smoke, where upon they all stormed out bitching and moaning about the deplorable state of affairs.

:D Good lord, they certainly sound like they must have been . . . people of a certain nationality. Great story, thanks.

I remember a time, back in the day, when the US was beginning to implement such an idea. I happened to stop in to a McD's for a cup of tea quite late at night. There were NO customers at all in either side of the place. I was a heavy smoker in those days so I took my tea to the smoking side (which was COMPLETELY isolated from the non-smoking side by the restaurant counter and kitchen. Completely walled off. After a few minutes two couples walked in, ordered, then sat down in the next table from me. (Remember.... the ENTIRE restaurant was empty...) They immediately began complaining about my smoke. I tried to politely explain to them that a) they were seated in the smoking section and that the entire other half of the restaurant was for non-smokers. I even did it with a smile. Then when they told me in no uncertain terms that they could sit where ever they wanted, :D politely told them to enjoy my smoke. They of course complained to the manager, who also told them that they could sit on the other side of the restaurant and not even see, much less smell the smoke, where upon they all stormed out bitching and moaning about the deplorable state of affairs.

:D Good lord, they certainly sound like they must have been . . . people of a certain nationality. Great story, thanks.

yeah a wonderful non-fiction :o

we want more, we want more....

All the articles I've read on this new law only mentions "air conditioned restaurants".

If there was already a law on the books re: the above....well maybe this is a new law, reiterating the same...?!?

Apparently, the old law was for A/C restaurants and this now covers all entertainment places (A/c?) .

And it started

TODAY !!!

All the articles I've read on this new law only mentions "air conditioned restaurants".

If there was already a law on the books re: the above....well maybe this is a new law, reiterating the same...?!?

Apparently, the old law was for A/C restaurants and this now covers all entertainment places (A/c?) .

And it started

TODAY !!!

hmm I can't get to warm up until Saturday... I can't wait to see.

.................The health ministry said bar and restaurant owners can relax, at least for now, because authorities won't begin fining the law breakers until June.

"Although the ban takes effect on Feb 11, we will focus more on educating people and issuing warnings rather than fining wrongdoers until May 31," said Seri Hongyok, deputy director-general of the Disease Control Office.

Bangkok Post

So nobody has to worry for the next four months, and by that time the law will only be a memory :o

.................The health ministry said bar and restaurant owners can relax, at least for now, because authorities won't begin fining the law breakers until June.

"Although the ban takes effect on Feb 11, we will focus more on educating people and issuing warnings rather than fining wrongdoers until May 31," said Seri Hongyok, deputy director-general of the Disease Control Office.

Bangkok Post

So nobody has to worry for the next four months, and by that time the law will only be a memory :o

i think they would still try to fine smokers and owners of establishments nevertheless, you know just in case the June part is not known by some. :D bound to be some guinea pigs around to test the law on.

Has any one been out tonight? Is the smoking ban being enforced anywhere. for me pint and a fag go hand in hand!

Tonight we had to tell the customers they could not smoke. We were checked on twice to make sure we were in compliance. Luckily we have seating outside for the smokers, but I can tell you some were not happy but most were not surprised. The only people that were smoking tonight inside were a group of Thais who I guess didn't get the memo; although they hid their smoke pretty well.....

I don't like the idea of the State forcing anyone to do anything. I don't like helmet laws, but I'll always wear one when I ride. I don't like seatbelt laws, but I always put mine on when in a car. I won't smoke a cigarette today, but I don't like the idea that there is a law to prohibit it. I like to choose for myself. But that's not the issue here.

Sorry, I know this is slightly off the main topic but I just wanted to point out that seatbelt and helmet laws, however you feel about them personally, have saved countless lives over the years and even in countries such as Thailand where they are often ignored, those wearing them at the time of their it'll-never-happen-to-me accident have reason to be thankful for being "forced" to wear them. The families of those who exercise their "right to choose" in the face of overwhelming evidence face emotional trauma and often financial ruin when the predicable happens and I feel strongly that where education proves ineffective or simply too slow it's the state's duty to try to get people to protect their well being. Phew!

Back to smoking. I applaud the Thai's for their stance on smoking (guess what, I used to puff on 30 a day too) and am pleased to see that it's not as prevalent here as in many of our neighbours - try buses in China, for example. Hopefully the new laws will lower the appeal of smoking by making it more inconvenient and thereby discourage kids from taking it up in the first place.

If all else fails, try hypnosis. It's worked for me for the past twenty seven years... :o

two things.

first, it's bad enough to be forced to do something, but I see it as even worse when people tell you to be thankful you were forced to do it.

second, can you recommend a good hypnotist for this somewhere in thailand? :D

Laws like this don't force you to not smoke. They just require you to keep it out of my face.

The rationale for the laws in the US was to provide a safe working environment for bartenders, wait staff, etc. who cannot choose to move away from the toxins. It's a bonus for customers who want to enjoy clean air as well.

The burden placed on health care systems by smokers is another consideration. I do think suicide should be legal but the cost to others must be considered.

Has any one been out tonight? Is the smoking ban being enforced anywhere. for me pint and a fag go hand in hand!

I got quite a shock when going for my usual fried chicken with a couple of beers last night at On-Nut Square, (which is outside by the way) when told by the staff that I could not have an ashtray as smoking was not allowed. To smoke I needed to go over next to the shrine (15 feet from my seat). Needless to say I had only one beer and left. The staff wanted to know why I didn't have my usual 3 or 4 and I told them it was because I could not sit at my table watching the soccer and smoke so I may as well go home and watch it while I smoked. What a pain in the proverbial. I bet it does not get implemented in Nana, Cowboy or Patpong!

Yes, it will be enforced and this is good.

According to the news today, they say, this law is there to protect those who work in the environment (e.g, bartender, beer girls).

And also, this is one of the way to lower the number of new smokers as teenagers are more likely to start smoking in pubs, and bars.