Smoking Ban - Will It Be Enforced?

KevinHunt

Can anyone confirm that a couple of Farang-owned bars were recently fined 20,000 baht, with customers caught smoking fined 2,000 baht?

Certainly not that I am awatre of in two of the places that I frequent, which allow smoking. I assume that it will depend on the relationship that the bar owner has with the local BIB.

I do know of a couple of bars in Soi 33 that have had the BIB drop in and give them a warning though, but as soon as they had gone the ashtrays were back out. :o

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the "beer bar" on soi 7/1 still allows smoking!

I hope to return for a couple of days, before heading to Pattaya, and would enjoy a drink without having to move around everytime someone smokes next to me!

In general do bars and restaurants in Bangkok enforce thr law?

We have helmet laws, seat-belt laws, non-smoking in A/C restaurants laws, but they don't appear to be enforced so will the new smoking ban be enforced I wonder? Do you think it is good? Will it be accepted? Are all the tourists going to leave Thailand because of it (as some seem to think)?

It appears to me that since I left the UK, smoking has become compulsory for young females! They all appear to smoke , and I am reliably(?) informed that it is to stop them putting on weight (it acts as an appetite suppresant, they say). Which of course begs the question - how fat would they be if they didn't smoke? :o

By the way - what exactly is the new law? Does it apply to open-air restaurants? Since there is already a law forbidding smoking in A/C places then presumably this law applies to all restaurants - A/C and open-air?

its only the bgs that smoke mostly ,,i hope they do enforce it but like everything else in thailand a drink in a uniformed hand will see any enforcement disapear,

ere ere, everthing has its price, especially in LOS

Does anyone know if the "beer bar" on soi 7/1 still allows smoking!

I hope to return for a couple of days, before heading to Pattaya, and would enjoy a drink without having to move around everytime someone smokes next to me!

In general do bars and restaurants in Bangkok enforce thr law?

Ban em all from reformed smoker ha ha :o

• 3 weeks later...