Noise pollution

Roger13

Hi Everyone,

http://www.bangkokpost.com/130703_News/13Jul2003_news07.html

The above Article in the Bangkok Post

is about Noise Pollution from Car Exhausts.

But I have always considered Shopping Malls

to be Noisy places - especially when some Mobile

Phone Company & Others are doing a Promotion.

I have always kept this opinion to myself

thinking that it did not worry Thai people

and that "The More Noise - The More Sanook" !!

But on 2 separate occaisons recently

with two different Thai friends whilst having

Lunch inside a Restaurant and such a Promotion

being held in the Mall - both complained of the

noise - which was making conversation difficult.

These 2 incidents have made me doubt my opinion.

Those in question were:

The Mall Bangkapi

Central Plaza Ladprao

Are most Thai people disturbed by the Noise

of Promotions in the Shopping Malls?

Roger

Without a doubt, Thais are among the noisiest people in the world. This fact has been noted for centuries. About 300 years ago, an emissary from the royal palace in Peking came to Siam. Upon his return, he wrote that the Siamese were the "noisiest and most licentious people" (his exact words) he'd ever met. Why? One Thai explained to me that if there's no noise around you, it must mean you're dead. But I think part of it is cultural, and part to do with their education. The cultural side of it is explained by the expression "kriengjai", which essentially means you don't interfere with what another person is doing (some interpret the expression to mean "consideration", but that's only a minor point). On the education side, I suggest you visit a Thai primary school when pupils are assembling in the morning. For up to 2 hours they are bombarded with patriotic songs and assorted teachers babbling at them over a loudspeaker system. They also have to march around to the sound of drums played by teachers. It's a #### of a way to start a school day, and it's no wonder the kids "switch off" and stand around with a vacant or glazed expression on their faces. I think this must be where they learn to shut out noise. Thais also have a degree of tolerance and patience that we Westerners can only envy, and I guess that can be thrown into the equation as well.

Anyway, because of the incredible level of noise in this country, it does make for stressful living for us Westerners, and I have done my lolly on numerous occasions over noise, especially dogs barking, howling and scrapping while the neighbours stand by with blanks looks on their faces. Pick-up trucks with loudspeakers are another irritant. But eventually you just have to get used to it because it will never change.

in reply rgd. noise:

....does this mean I should re-consider my intention to emigrate frm where I live right now? I do appreciate the asian way of living EXCEPT the noise. Got a summerhouse in the swedish woods and love to stay there coz there is no noise at all except some birds in early morning )and this is of course no noise at all). Do you really think Thai ppl (girls) wouldn´t prefer to enjoy the silent site of life? I sure do agree that the girl I am in love with never ever cared about any noise around her bungalow at Koh Samui but I had to tell her that this could not be the place for me to stay longer than one night. So, no my question: what, IF I decide to stay with her together in the future (she´s got another house in Nakhon Si Tammarat). Never been there so far. But expect to have noise there too (motorcycles, nheighbours shouting, construction work etc). Will she UNDERSTAND my western opinion????

Joinme, you're going to end up a cranky bugger, just like me, by the sounds of it. A lot depends on where your gf's house is in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Some villages are pretty quiet if they're off the beaten track, small and not too rich. But in any place bigger than a small village, there can be no guarantees. Other long-term expats I've spoken to over the years about this subject have found quiet and friendly places in which to live, so don't give up hope. There's not much you can do about noisy vehicles, but if you happen to have noisy neighbours, approach them with a very big smile on your face and some gifts (a couple of bottles of Beer Chang for the men -- unless they are Muslims -- and fruit for the women, for example) and very politally ask them to tone it down. Most Thais react positively to this kind of approach and will oblige. Hope you find a quiet place that's not near a school or entertainment venue and is located in a dead end street. Cheers.

thanx dex. about the beers and little gifts I got experience already and most of them were good. About my very own - so to say - noise prob I will for sure have to SEE that N.S.T. spot first and - after a while - decide wheter to stay   o r   convince my gf about a moove to some other place... After all, IF I decide to live most of my life far away from europe I should very well also find solution(s) that should make me feel happy and comfortable....

anybody here welcome to give me details about the more SILENT though still prosperious locations around Thailand. thx

I dont know if Id give them any Beer Chang. If you think they are noisy now, just wait till they are drunk! And a small village doesnt= quiet. I live in a very small village and they can stir up quit a racket. With thier love of sunuk and an endless streem of weddings, holidays and whatnot, it seems the party trucks are doing a brisk business. For those who arnt familiar with the party trucks, they are trucks loaded with tables, chairs, tents, and HUMUNGUS speakers and sound systems. For a fee the cater to any type celebration. Even when a party is going on in a town 2 or 3 miles away, the decible level is enough to make it difficult to hear the tv on high volume! The best way to deal with it is "jai yen yen", dont loose your cool. Many farangs make the mistake of trying to change them. We are the ones who need to change. Learn to develope your "uppaka" at a temple near you. Choke dee, Ta Tom

The Thai language cannot be spoken correctly with shouting. And Buddhism seems to support noise polution; take a listen to the sounds that come out of your local wat. One of the charms in a funny way...

Ear Bashing Temple.jpg

• 1 year later...

I don't agree - it can be spoken ! my wife seems to be almost obsessed - she always rebukes me for speaking "too louder"!

and about noise - it depends on place and time. sometime when I'm not asleep between 2 and 4 am I look from our balcony and get amazed - how quite Bkk can be !

I used to think Brazil and Braziians were loud until recently reminded that Thailand is indeed real loud.

Those shopping malls with that stupid "ding-dong" sound followed by someone yelling at 110db is nuts.

Not to mention with the recent election truck cruising everywhere (gone now) telling folks to vote for their candidate who's not corrupt! :o

its population density.

americans are the loudest people because of all the space and big open land so neighbors have to shout to hear each other.

when you put loud americans is a small space like a street in manhattan its like millions of loudspeakers all blaring to each other.

Edited by gobkk

• 5 years later...

Roger,

Yeah it is noisy in shopping malls, but i think the worst noise is at night in out of town areas; bloody dogs barking all night long. drives me nuts.

I understand. Maybe this will help you feel better: This mooban has hundreds of roosters. They do their ??? bloody rooster calls all night and all day. They are really loud too. The local Wat borrows the "chief's" loudspeaker system to broadcast their morning chants (5:30AM). The chief follows them with ???? his version of current events???? Oh but he does pre-empt his ramblings w/ some Thai "music." I think his message signals the hawkers to drive their pick up trucks down each street with their loud speaker. The "vendors" on motorbike just use their horns.

Oh and I didn't mention the neighbors. They start screaming to ???? relatives several houses away at the break of dawn. The yelling exists everywhere. And this particular family seem to like living in the front yard better than in doors. I think they only use the house for "night time" sleeping. The rest of the time they use hammocks outside.

There- feel better? Now if I "go nuts" you'll know why. :-)

Keoki (living in Rooster land - Isaan).

IMO - Simply put, piece and quiet is not valued in Thailand.

But there is noise in any city. It's the noise which we consider as unnecessary that Thai's have grown up with where the differences are noticed.

i.e. Security cards and their whistles, advertising in shopping malls, pickups advertising with loud speakers, construction at the weekend, excess volume in bars and clubs (more than in the west)... etc etc etc...

From a society that has evolved through an established system of avoiding personal conflict its hardly suspiring that the noise levels are at their current levels...

No one Complains....

in the old days I have no idea how Thai people lived in the jungle. It's maddening insect noises. I ride my bicycle up in the mountains of Chiang Mai and I think it explains alot about beliefs in spirit and ghosts. It's so freaking loud and overwhelming.

In town etc it's a good idea to buy good quality ear plugs for restful sleep and peace of mind. At first it's hard to relax with earplugs but with time they are your best friends and not uncomfortable at all.

eye shades are invaluable also for sleeping after after a late night out.

I think we should legally be allowed to shoot at food sellers who use 40 DB sound systems to adevertise their wares, ok ok so I ought to be at work at that time of day but still, a little consideration

I understand your sentiment ajarnpot. And that's "a good one" (consideration), LOLOLOL

I experience as much consideration in Thailand as I do "common sense."

IMO - Simply put, piece and quiet is not valued in Thailand.

But there is noise in any city. It's the noise which we consider as unnecessary that Thai's have grown up with where the differences are noticed.

i.e. Security cards and their whistles, advertising in shopping malls, pickups advertising with loud speakers, construction at the weekend, excess volume in bars and clubs (more than in the west)... etc etc etc...

From a society that has evolved through an established system of avoiding personal conflict its hardly suspiring that the noise levels are at their current levels...

No one Complains....

No one dare complain, to complain is to lose face, so instead they all suffer in silence.

Living in a gated community helps.

Frequently the village "chief" makes broadcasts vie strategically placed LOUD speakers in the village. No one escapes. How does this process occur. Do the village people (LOL) VOTE on whether they want to be bombarded w/these announcements? Do they VOTE on when these propaganda messages are delivered? Do most like hearing them a/b 5:30 AM? Is there democracy or dictatorship. Is this government sanctioned? What gives?

I think I want to buy noise blocking headphones that will mute EVERYTHING including the roosters, dogs barking, beeping motorbikes, yelling adults/children/hawkers selling their "stuff." Any suggestions where I can get these in Chaiyaphum or Khon Kaeng?

Cheers,

Keoki