24 Days In Thailand With 19 Year Old Son

bklyngal

Hi all, We are planning on a trip to Thailand Sept 27th-Oct 22 2004. We (my husband and myself) The places we are thinking about visiting are...Bangkok,Pattaya,Hoa Hin, Ko Samui,Phuket,Chiang Mai. Are there any additional places that are worth visiting? Also, what order and how much time in each place would you think is enough. How about places that my 19 year old will enjoy. He is a little shy so lets not scare him too much..lol...Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are from Virginia (USA) thanks so much.

I can't see that your son will remain shy after visiting Pattaya.It's all a little 'in your face' as they say. :o

But if you're going to stay in Hua Hin,then just down the road Cha-Am is a gentle alternative to Bangkok and Pattaya: Best go mid-week though, as half of the entire population of Bangkok seem to descend on the ever popular resort at weekends and public holidays.

Good country where to test whether your son is either shy or gay.

Leave him in Pattaya and have the tour of Thailand just with your hubby, when you come back to pick your son up:

1) he is not shy anymore, smiling and in the same time crying that he doesn't want to come back to Virginia, asking you for some money for a "sick Bufalo"

2) if he walks in a strange way means that a Ladyboy did his dirty Job nicely....

Leave him in Pattaya, he will enjoy anyway

Thansk so much for all your suggestions;

britmaveric ; I asked him about getting certified and I do believe that he will take us up on it. thanks

Gohonzon;

thanks I will look into that area also. After reading lots about Pattaya I now know what you mean by "in your face" He will probably be embarrassed for the first few days but after that I hope he will be more comfortable with the GIRLS (not Lady boy)

duke69 ;

Thanks for the suggestion although I think I would be happier to bring him along to see Thailand. He isnt shy with the ladies at home, he has them running after him!!! Hopefully he dosent end up taking care of any buffalo...and as for the ladyman....that isnt his choice, he likes women way too much. He isnt really all that shy just a little nieve when it comes to scams or being taken advantage of. I am hoping this trip will open his eyes to the way people live and the things some people have to resort to to make a living. Learn how to appreciate his life in the states and all that it has to offer.

We are really very excited about this trip of a lifetime and all that it has to offer. The beauty as well as the dark side!!!I am looking forward to seeing how he handles it all.

Anyone know what the bar rules are? ie. Bar Fines? What are they and what is the standard for buying the girls drinks at the bars, if interested and if just looking....

12 days to go!!!!! and we are there!!!

Bklyngal- well an open minded mum- wish mine were as easy going as you are! :o

-I'm sure he'll have a good laff, at the very least its good theatre just sitting back with a Chang and watching what is going around you.

-Basically pay a bar fine to the bar and the rest is negotiable between the customer and the lady.

Aquanauts is good dive shop in Pattaya!

Hi all, We are planning on a trip to Thailand Sept 27th-Oct 22 2004. We (my husband and myself) The places we are thinking about visiting are...Bangkok,Pattaya,Hoa Hin, Ko Samui,Phuket,Chiang Mai. Are there any additional places that are worth visiting? Also, what order and how much time in each place would you think is enough. How about places that my 19 year old will enjoy. He is a little shy so lets not scare him too much..lol...Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are from Virginia (USA) thanks so much.

Does he still believe that the stork brings the babies? If yes, you may not want to bring him to Pattaya, as the truth may be too much to handle. If no, make sure you separate from him right after unpacking the things and ensure he has his own hotel room or he'll be crying if he has to stick with mom and dad for the whole trip and not even once touch a girl ....you get my point. :o

Thanks fo all the info guys. I planned the trip as follows please tell me what you think

3 nights in bkk to recover from trip

4 nights Chiang Mai

4 night Phukett

4 nights Ko Samui

3 nights Pattaya

3 nights Hua Hin

3 nights Bkk \we leave on the 22 but at 1am (really the 21st)

do you think we should add or delete days in any place due to activities?

Any guidance is appreciated

BTW my son thinks your idea of renting his own room in Pattaya is a great idea although I am worried he will get into trouble. In the states he and his friends smoke weed ( he says no more, I dont believe him) What I am worried about is that someone will offer and he accepts and gets turned in for drugs. the last thing we need is a son in jail in Thailand. If someone could post what these dangers are I will give it to him so he knows first hand. You guys are the best!!!

Thanks fo all the info guys. I planned the trip as follows please tell me what you think

4 nights Chiang Mai

4 night Phukett

4 nights Ko Samui

3 nights Pattaya

3 nights Hua Hin

BTW my son thinks your idea of renting his own room in Pattaya is a great idea although I am worried he will get into trouble. In the states he and his friends smoke weed ( he says no more, I dont believe him) What I am worried about is that someone will offer and he accepts and gets turned in for drugs. the last thing we need is a son in jail in Thailand. If someone could post what these dangers are I will give it to him so he knows first hand. You guys are the best!!!

Tell him to stick with the girls. The laws are more liberal in Farangland, and the prisons much more accommodating. :o

Bklyn gal:

Please make sure your son understands that in SEA drugs even as minor as pot are no joke out here. As he is new to these parts, and has no idea of potential scams or the signs of a potential scam, he should stay very far away from any recreational drug of any sort. I cannot overstate this point at the moment.

To make your point clear, perhaps you should have him do a little research on the internet or in bookstores about drug laws in Thailand, Thai police tactics, and foreigners who are doing time in Thai prisions. This is not a joke, and they piss test foreigners in bars now for drugs.

Also, if he is spending time alone in Pattaya, please do a little reading up on this website or stickmans.com, on potential cons, aggressive ladyboys, Thai cultural norms such as "loss of face" etc. There is a lot of violence just below the surface of those famous smiles, and Pattaya is a cesspool.

4 nights Chiang Mai

4 night Phukett

4 nights Ko Samui

3 nights Pattaya

3 nights Hua Hin

Don't you think that you may have chossen too many places to travel in a short period?,All you will be doing is mostly travelling,You are not losing much by missing out Pattaya IMHO, :o Plus it is out of the way compared to the other places you are travelling too,Then you can at a couple more days in Phucket or Samui :D

4 nights Chiang Mai

4 night Phukett

4 nights Ko Samui

3 nights  Pattaya

3 nights Hua Hin

BTW my son thinks your idea of renting his own room in Pattaya is a great idea although I am worried he will get into trouble. In the states he and his friends smoke weed ( he says no more, I dont believe him) What I am worried about is that someone will offer and he accepts and gets turned in for drugs. the last thing we need is a son in jail in Thailand.  If someone could post what these dangers are I will give it to him so he knows first hand. You guys are the best!!!

Don't you think that you may have chossen too many places to travel in a short period?,All you will be doing is mostly travelling,You are not losing much by missing out Pattaya IMHO, :o Plus it is out of the way compared to the other places you are travelling too,Then you can at a couple more days in Phucket or Samui :D

Yep... I agree.... but if you do want to go to Pattaya then go after Hua Hin..

i.e

4 nights Chiang Mai

4 night Phukett

4 nights Ko Samui

3 nights Hua Hin

3 nights Pattaya

3 nights Bkk

Re Drugs... the article here may help

Times online

Forget backpackers' bible The Beach, you really shouldn't become involved with any drugs in Thailand. Sentences are heavy and there have been cases of Brits finding themselves facing 99 year jail terms. Possession of even very small quantities can lead to imprisonment. For example, possession of marijuana can lead to a prison sentence of up to 15 years plus a fine of Baht 150,000 (£2,300). Amphetamines and Ecstasy are regarded as class A drugs and possession or trafficking of them carries the same penalties as for heroin. If you get caught leaving Thailand with 20 grams or more of a class A drug you can be charged with attempting to smuggle and export. A guilty verdict usually attracts the death sentence. Drug laws in much of South East Asia are just as severe. So if you're travelling in the area, double check your bags before you check them in at the airport, just in case.

One such person who was caught out by Thailand's harsh penalties for possession of drugs is Michael Connell from Greater Manchester. He was just 19 when he was arrested at Bangkok's international airport in November 2003 with 3,400 ecstasy pills hidden in facial cream jars. He only escaped the death penalty by pleading guilty. In a letter home to his family Michael described the conditions at Bangkok's Khlong Prem Prison – nicknamed The Bangkok Hilton - as being "horrendous".

Taken from ..BBC Three

totster :D

IMHO.I agree that Pattaya is a cesspit where you can meet he worst of Western men and the scum of Thailand too. But it does have the advantage of most of the Western creature comforts -if that's what you're seeking.

But I guess that on a short holiday that you're unlikely to encounter too much of authentic Thai culture anyway.So go ahead and enjoy -you'll learn mai phen rai anyway.

Hi how are you getting around, I think you can fly direct Samui to Phuket now you have to be carful otherwise you will end you flying to Bangkok every few days to catch different flights. I also thing you may be trying to do to much.

Pattaya is a cesspit thats why its worth going :o I'd think about doing either phuket or samui because they are very simular island beach resorts and then you could have 8 day just to relax, my vote would go to phuket but thats just personal choice.

Have a good holiday

Cheers RC

Fantastic advice....we have narrowed down our holiday to visiting

bkk; 2 nights recover from trip with lots of massages....ahhh

Chiang Mai; 4 nights, rafting, treking, waterfalls, tribes.

Phuket; looks like a winner....11-12 nights seems to have it all water sports, horseback riding, waterfalls, nightclubs, shows...

Hua Hin; possibly 3 nights looks to me very tranquil where you can rent motor bikes and travel around to see the sights. Fresh seafood, slow pace

bkk2 nights and back to the states finish shopping if need be

I think we will see most of what we would like to see at these locations including the dark side (if we llike) it all looks very similar to Pattaya except at a gentler scale. We are planning to fly to these locations with our tickets purchased on line...is that ok? I checked locations and the airlines seems to fly between them .

Gohonzon; whats mai phen rai ?

Totster, kAT & Britmaveric, I cant thak you enough for all your help and guidance with my son. He has read everything you sent and not only is he scared straight about drugs in Thailand He now sees that it isnt accepted all the world over. Sometimes hearing things from your mum isnt the same as someone else...so, THANKS, AND IF YOU ARE IN THE AREAS i WILL BE IN LET US BUY YOU A DRINK!!!

bklyngal - my pleasure. Thailand is an eye opening experience luckily I had mates there to break me in slowly! :D

I'm happy to hear you will be flying- time is short and definitely dont want to waste your holidays traveling. Flights- might check out Air Asia or Nok Air...fairely cheap flights within Thailand.

Phuket- I'm sure your son will enjoy Patpong! :D Not exactly the same as Walking Street in Pattaya, but never the less might be better than throwing him to the wolves first time around. :o

Pattaya..bungee jumping....horseback riding....go karts...bowling...jet skis...paragliding.....many international restaurants, bars,nightclubs, best rate hotels in all of Thailand, Nong Nooch tropical Garden, Pattaya Park, Hard Rock Hotel, walking street, great shopping, golf courses, sri racha tiger zoo, Kao Kiow Zoo, Bira Racing circuit, Parasailing and flying, elephant treks, windsurfing, movie theaters, long beaches with easy access to islands such as Koh Larn or Koh Samet 1 hr away......this is just a starter....many more...Such a shame to leave Pattaya out of your trip and staying 3 days in Hua Hin, you can visit Hua hin in exactly 11.3 minutes...its quiet beautiful and small.

What about Koh Chang, 3 hrs away from Pattaya, it is changing at an alarming pace, better get there b4 it turns out like Samui.....Good luck! Have a nice Holiday....are u from Richmond? :o

bklyngal - my pleasure. Thailand is an eye opening experience luckily I had mates there to break me in slowly! :D

I'm happy to hear you will be flying- time is short and definitely dont want to waste your holidays traveling. Flights- might check out Air Asia or Nok Air...fairely cheap flights within Thailand.

Phuket- I'm sure your son will enjoy Patpong! :D Not exactly the same as Walking Street in Pattaya, but never the less might be better than throwing him to the wolves first time around. :D

You have made very many valid points and I truly thank you for them, you are an asset to this group. I'll check out those airlines, never heard of them thanks again..WE are concidering staying at the Holiday Inn in Phuket any recomendations there? I know its not directly on the beach but it is very easy acess for my son to come and go at will. If he needs a room he will have to rent a cheap one somewhere. :o I'll make sure he has $$$ in his pocket and now that I am not worried about the pot thing I will sleep much better. thanks again my friend

Pattaya..bungee jumping....horseback riding....go karts...bowling...jet skis...paragliding.....many international restaurants, bars,nightclubs, best rate hotels in all of Thailand, Nong Nooch tropical Garden, Pattaya Park, Hard Rock Hotel, walking street, great shopping, golf courses, sri racha tiger zoo, Kao Kiow Zoo, Bira Racing circuit, Parasailing and flying, elephant treks, windsurfing, movie theaters, long beaches with easy access to islands such as Koh Larn or Koh Samet 1 hr away......this is just a starter....many more...Such a shame to leave Pattaya out of your trip and staying 3 days in Hua Hin, you can visit Hua hin in exactly 11.3 minutes...its quiet beautiful and small.

What about Koh Chang, 3 hrs away from Pattaya, it is changing at an alarming pace, better get there b4 it turns out like Samui.....Good luck! Have a nice Holiday....are u from Richmond? :o

I can see your points in visiting Pattaya. Possibly on our next trip. I think its too "in your face" for us right now. I will check out Koh Chang. So not much to do at all in Hau Hin? Thanks for letting me know that we will be there too long, I will adjust the trip. We are from Virginia Beach, are you American? Where are you from?

I can see your points in visiting Pattaya. Possibly on our next trip. I think its too "in your face" for us right now. I will check out Koh Chang. So not much to do at all in Hau Hin? Thanks for letting me know that we will be there too long, I will adjust the trip. We are from Virginia Beach, are you American? Where are you from?

Just for the record I love Hua Hin... It's relaxed, peaceful, has got a massive beach which never gets crowded.. :o

Things to do... why not visit the waterfall at Pala U.. or the royal residence of Rama VI ... or even visit the monkeys at the temple at Khao Takiab... enough for 3 days...? :D

Just for the record I love Hua Hin... It's relaxed, peaceful, has got a massive beach which never gets crowded.. :o

Things to do... why not visit the waterfall at Pala U.. or the royal residence of Rama VI ... or even visit the monkeys at the temple at Khao Takiab... enough for 3 days...? :D

Thanks for the advice, I looked into koh Chang and it does seem lovely. It does require more travel investigation though. Hau Hin seemed relaxing as well with little traffic and more chance to experience the local culture. Monkeys at the temple.....works for me :D What do you know about Koh Chang, do you think its worth the trip?