The Boys In Brown

RasiMike

Lived here 4 years in Bangkok and never even spoken to a policeman , but can say been pulled up in Sydney a few times by police in the car , once for driving whilst on the phone, they were writing the fine before they even got to my car door and acted like it was a very very Serious crime , all countries have there good and bad police , in a way not from experience but from this forum , i read a lot where with a bit of tea money minor makes things go away quickly . so there is a plus . try offering that in Sydney .Grass is not always greener

Driving while using a mobile phone is a potentially dangerous act. A relatively large percentage of motor vehicle accidents occur when one or other of the drivers is fiddling with a mobile phone.

I am glad you got booked. I only wish you had tried the "tea money" trick as well. You could be in jail right now, and you would deserve it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived here 4 years in Bangkok and never even spoken to a policeman , but can say been pulled up in Sydney a few times by police in the car , once for driving whilst on the phone, they were writing the fine before they even got to my car door and acted like it was a very very Serious crime , all countries have there good and bad police , in a way not from experience but from this forum , i read a lot where with a bit of tea money minor makes things go away quickly . so there is a plus . try offering that in Sydney .Grass is not always greener

Driving while using a mobile phone is a potentially dangerous act. A relatively large percentage of motor vehicle accidents occur when one or other of the drivers is fiddling with a mobile phone.

I am glad you got booked. I only wish you had tried the "tea money" trick as well. You could be in jail right now, and you would deserve it.

try some decaf. or just try taking a deep breath before you post. hel_l, if his story upsets you so much, try turning off your computer and go outside and meditate under a coconut tree for a few days.

Last year I drove around 15,000 kms. I was pulled over twice for legitimate reasons, once for not keeping in the left hand lane and once for speeding about 20km above the limit.

Both times I handed over 100 baht tea money and was on my way.

Both times I have been invited to pay 200 baht and get a receipt if i wanted to go to the police station

In Australia this would have set me back around $1000.00 and a bucket load of demerit points, plus the nazi attitude of the traffic cop.

I know where I prefer to be "stung"

They are paid crap wages and personally I dont mind this minor corruption , or "cooperation" as some politicians used to call it.

Khun Andy

---------------

Actually it used to be like that back here in the states at least in New York and new Jersey.

In the late sixties early seventies we always kept a 20 dollar bill folded in our drivers license. That was alot of money then.

When you got pulled over you handed over your license. When the cop came back you'd get a warning and go on your way less your 20.

Great system actually. Too bad it's gone.

However it's alive and well today 30 minutes from here in Mexico... :o

Last year I drove around 15,000 kms. I was pulled over twice for legitimate reasons, once for not keeping in the left hand lane and once for speeding about 20km above the limit.

Both times I have been invited to pay 200 baht and get a receipt if i wanted to go to the police station

In Australia this would have set me back around $1000.00 and a bucket load of demerit points, plus the nazi attitude of the traffic cop.

They are paid crap wages and personally I dont mind this minor corruption , or "cooperation" as some politicians used to call it.

Khun Andy

---------------

Actually it used to be like that back here in the states at least in New York and new Jersey.

In the late sixties early seventies we always kept a 20 dollar bill folded in our drivers license. That was alot of money then.

When you got pulled over you handed over your license. When the cop came back you'd get a warning and go on your way less your 20.

in mexico i always handed over a pack of marlboro reds from the carton i carried for just such occassions.

Khun Andy

---------------

in mexico i always handed over a pack of marlboro reds from the carton i carried for just such occassions.

--------------------

It takes a lot more these days bro 20 to 40 if your experienced.

We regularly hear horror stories of people geting taken to the ATM's by ocal TJ poilice and taken for hundreds

sometimes thousands and their vehicle and lately unfortunately their lives.

TJ is out of control but I like it. It's the closest thing to the "old west' dangerous if you're not careful... :D

Khun Andy

---------------

--------------------

We regularly hear horror stories of people geting taken to the ATM's by ocal TJ poilice and taken for hundreds

TJ is out of control but I like it. It's the closest thing to the "old west' dangerous if you're not careful... :D

dam_n, inflation is a beyotch. glad i haven't been in mexico for many many years now.

*adds one more country to the list of countries that used to be a nice place. notes that list is becoming longer and longer

and possible future destinations will have to include other planets.

Khun Andy

---------------

--------------------

dam_n, inflation is a beyotch. glad i haven't been in mexico for many many years now.

*adds one more country to the list of countries that used to be a nice place. notes that list is becoming longer and longer

and possible future destinations will have to include other planets.

--------------------------

Inflation that's true.

but if your still a little bit of an adrenaline junkie good fun.

Just 30 minutes from my door to the... :D

Considering the accident rate while using a hand held phone and driving while drunk have a lot in common, it is serious. Don't be so darn cheap and get a bluetooth or something to keep your hands free.

thanks for your good advice , i now have a Driver in Thailand , :o

The police here are something else again, but that said, I am 'afraid' of the ones where I live. If I have a police officer following me in a car, I am pretty sure I'll get stopped and eventually I screw up and sure enough I get stopped.

I guess the best word isn't 'afair' but rather nervous. I would just as soon have some distance between me and them--unless I need their help!

The police here are something else again, but that said, I am 'afraid' of the ones where I live. If I have a police officer following me in a car, I am pretty sure I'll get stopped and eventually I screw up and sure enough I get stopped.

I guess the best word isn't 'afair' but rather nervous. I would just as soon have some distance between me and them--unless I need their help!

Thats true Scott, such is their reputation that when you see one looming in your rear vision mirror the chances are you will make some minor mistake before too long and he will pull you over.

In farangland I have just pulled into a side street to let them pass many times.

SNIP// using a hand held phone and driving while drunk have a lot in common, it is serious.

I agree - its hard trying to text someone when you are p1ssed and driving.

Seriously, in the UK the police are using traffic to 1) boost revenue, and 2) boost statistics. It is pathetic, the English motorist is persecuted to such a point that my 71 yr old father has now handed in his license.

I agree with Reimar, corruption in traffic laws is fabulous. They have just got too petty in the west and see drivers as a cash cow. Not funny if you have to drive as part of your living. This is actually corruption on a higher level, as the Government think they can fleece you for £80 every time you go 3 mph over the speed limit.

They now have number plate recognition cameras that will clock you entering a stretch of road, and then clock you out - if you crossed that stretch of road in less than the allotted time you get an £80 fine and 3 points on your license.

They are petty scum, and I love to see corruption when it comes to traffic violations - get real they are not crimes!!

Edit - clarification??

Edited by sweetchariot

I know that the (BIB) are paid very low wages.

I would not mind if I am pulled over for violating a minor traffic law and then pay a personal fine of 100 BHT approximately to the Officer.

What I do not think is not fair is when they make something up to get your money, or target "Farang driver."

Edited by philliphn

RasiMike - that really sucks.

i had my first semi-unpleasant run in with the police a few days ago.

i took a motorbike taxi from Ekkamai to Suk soi 11 to meet some friends. normally i'd take a taxi but was running late so i though i'd save some time. well it ended up taking longer. just after turning onto Sukhumvit we passed two police officers on a motorbike and within 300 meters they drove up along side us and flagged us over. at first i thought the driver did something wrong but the cops went straight for me and obviously didn't care about him. then i thought it might be because i wasn't wearing a helmet but that wasn't it either. they had me get of the bike and searched me and everything on me. the full pat down, had me take my shoes and socks off, grabbed my balls, everything. then they went through the contents of my pockets(a dvd i was returning to a friend, wallet, ipod, phone, address book, etc.) for about 10 minutes. they held onto my wallet longer than anything else and i was sure i'd get it back a thousand or two short but that didn't happen. they kept us standing on the side of the road for about 20 minutes total while they checked me and my stuff, never checking the motorbike driver, and making various calls over the radio. then they let us go.

i was sure it was some kind of shakedown but they didn't ask for or get any money. i don't really know what to think of the whole thing. the police were pretty nice and never intimidating but i have no idea why this happened. i've lived here 3 years and taken 100's if not 1000's of motorbike taxis with zero problems. what was it that had them single me out?

Exactly the same thing happened to me some 5 years ago, also on Sukhumvit.

Afterwards, I checked my wallet and no money was missing.

No idea why they did it. :o

SNIP// using a hand held phone and driving while drunk have a lot in common, it is serious.

I agree - its hard trying to text someone when you are p1ssed and driving.

Seriously, in the UK the police are using traffic to 1) boost revenue, and 2) boost statistics. It is pathetic, the English motorist is persecuted to such a point that my 71 yr old father has now handed in his license.

I agree with Reimar, corruption in traffic laws is fabulous. They have just got too petty in the west and see drivers as a cash cow. Not funny if you have to drive as part of your living. This is actually corruption on a higher level, as the Government think they can fleece you for £80 every time you go 3 mph over the speed limit.

They now have number plate recognition cameras that will clock you entering a stretch of road, and then clock you out - if you crossed that stretch of road in less than the allotted time you get an £80 fine and 3 points on your license.

They are petty scum, and I love to see corruption when it comes to traffic violations - get real they are not crimes!!

Edit - clarification??

I disagree.

Laws are made to be adhered to.

If not then lawlessness will be rife. Driving in Bangkok is a joke. No rules, every man for himself. Drive however you want. If caught 200 baht max to get away with it. Drink driving? No problem, sir, just hand me a couple of those brown notes.

If you do not a want fine in England then stick to the speed limits, easy. At least in UK you will not get pulled over and expected to hand money over or have some 'speeding' offence invented.

It makes me feel very happy that I am removing my family from here soon....very happy indeed that my children won't have to grow up thinking things like this are ok or normal.

I sympathise with the situation, but I'm interested to know the name of this Utopia you intend to relocate your family to?

Back 'down under' I'm afraid.....maybe not far from your old haunts. No utopia to be found there I'll admit.....none anywhere I'm sure. But if I mind my own business and behave there's a reasonable chance that the boys will leave me be. :o

Police in Thailand are actually nice compared to in Australia.

I said to a cop once, "Yeah mate" and he stares me down saying "Im not your mate" as in he wanted to fight me.

In my teens cops used to pick us up in the park claiming they would take us home but drop us off about 30 mins from our homes on purpose.

Also once i got pulled over the cops pulled out 2 pairs of sissors in my car and telling me they can fine me for having dangerous weapons, they also called there mates and there was 6 police cars and about 15 officers surrounding me making fun. I was giving it back to them so one cop decided to fine me for the sissors which was $550.00. I took them to court and won my case which was good.

Cops in Australia are f..ked, you should see what they do to asian people lol, ive heard some really funny stories and im glad they didnt do those things to me.

i took a motorbike taxi from Ekkamai to Suk soi 11 to meet some friends. normally i'd take a taxi but was running late so i though i'd save some time. well it ended up taking longer. just after turning onto Sukhumvit we passed two police officers on a motorbike and within 300 meters they drove up along side us and flagged us over. at first i thought the driver did something wrong but the cops went straight for me and obviously didn't care about him. then i thought it might be because i wasn't wearing a helmet but that wasn't it either. they had me get of the bike and searched me and everything on me. the full pat down, had me take my shoes and socks off, grabbed my balls, everything. then they went through the contents of my pockets(a dvd i was returning to a friend, wallet, ipod, phone, address book, etc.) for about 10 minutes. they held onto my wallet longer than anything else and i was sure i'd get it back a thousand or two short but that didn't happen. they kept us standing on the side of the road for about 20 minutes total while they checked me and my stuff, never checking the motorbike driver, and making various calls over the radio. then they let us go.

i was sure it was some kind of shakedown but they didn't ask for or get any money. i don't really know what to think of the whole thing. the police were pretty nice and never intimidating but i have no idea why this happened. i've lived here 3 years and taken 100's if not 1000's of motorbike taxis with zero problems. what was it that had them single me out?

3 weeks ago around 9 pm I was walking around the corner of Pra Athit road where it joins the beginning of Samsen road, opposite the semi demolished New World dept store, when 2 cops on a motorbike screeched to a halt and went through my pockets and wallet plainly looking for drugs. I told them I didn't even smoke and after a few minutes let me go. I spoke in Thai to them the whole time.

Walking back after buying a beer, the same cops beckoned me over and asked me to help translate as they'd just busted 3 French hippies for some grass; one of the French guys said he had just a small amount and could he pay now please. One of the cops said he would have to go to court and at that point I excused myself, wondering how cops could arrest people when they couldn't speak enough English to go through the motions.

Talking to a friendly owner of a photo shop nearby about politics, he said the police in Banglampoo were damaging tourism as he had often seen the same motorbike police stop families walking at night and search them. In the typical Thai way he said if they were Africans he could understand it! but to harass western families was plainly foolish.

3 weeks ago around 9 pm I was walking around the corner of Pra Athit road where it joins the beginning of Samsen road, opposite the semi demolished New World dept store, when 2 cops on a motorbike screeched to a halt and went through my pockets and wallet plainly looking for drugs. I told them I didn't even smoke and after a few minutes let me go. I spoke in Thai to them the whole time.

Walking back after buying a beer, the same cops beckoned me over and asked me to help translate as they'd just busted 3 French hippies for some grass; one of the French guys said he had just a small amount and could he pay now please. One of the cops said he would have to go to court and at that point I excused myself, wondering how cops could arrest people when they couldn't speak enough English to go through the motions.

Talking to a friendly owner of a photo shop nearby about politics, he said the police in Banglampoo were damaging tourism as he had often seen the same motorbike police stop families walking at night and search them. In the typical Thai way he said if they were Africans he could understand it! but to harass western families was plainly foolish.

What has the cop needing to speak english have anything to do with arresting someone with drugs?

Same thing happened to me a couple o weeks ago near the Dindeang, Rama 9 area,

Was in a cab, one cop waved the cab through, another cop saw me sitting in the back and waved ahead, the cops ahead stopped the cab. I asked the cab driver whats happening thinking the cabbie ran a light. Instead the cops opened up my door and told me to get out, "body check, body check".

I got patted down, my wallet searched, then the questions..'why you here" me " taam gnaam krungthep".....Showed them my papers then got waved back into the cab.

I asked the cabbie what was that? cabbie shrugged and said 'police".....

Well in Australia as well as Random Drink test they now have random drug testing , i think a Saliva Swab , so the boys in brown doing a few random drug searches seems just like normal anti drug law enforcement , of course i would not like to be patted down and someone go through my wallet , but ,maybe a sign of the times with policing

Police in Thailand are actually nice compared to in Australia.

I said to a cop once, "Yeah mate" and he stares me down saying "Im not your mate" as in he wanted to fight me.

In my teens cops used to pick us up in the park claiming they would take us home but drop us off about 30 mins from our homes on purpose.

Also once i got pulled over the cops pulled out 2 pairs of sissors in my car and telling me they can fine me for having dangerous weapons, they also called there mates and there was 6 police cars and about 15 officers surrounding me making fun. I was giving it back to them so one cop decided to fine me for the sissors which was $550.00. I took them to court and won my case which was good.

Cops in Australia are f..ked, you should see what they do to asian people lol, ive heard some really funny stories and im glad they didnt do those things to me.

You've had some bad experiences with police in Australia - that's unfortunate. Whether there are two sides to your stories, we will never know. However, it is plainly wrong for you to denigrate all police on the basis of your couple of tales of woe. I am not baiting you or having a go at you. I am pointing out that it is unfair of you to generalise based upon a couple of your own experiences. If you want to know the facts, try reading 'How Australia Compares' by Rodney Tiffen & Ross Gittins.

I personally have no issue with the petty corruption in the Thai police - as many have said, it can work for and against you here and it's just part of the experience of living here.

What I find completely unacceptable, though, is when that corruption is escalated and has bigger - more tragic - consequences. When, they are bribed to turn a blind eye to mafia guys supplying beggars with babies (where did they come from?) literally metres away from police boxes on sukhumvit road. When their laziness and corruption is designed to provide a bottle of whisky for their weekend, it's one thing. When it perpetuates or even encourages human misery, that's something completely different.

But as someone said, a country gets the law enforcement it wants. If rank and file Thai people don't care, then it won't change. And I see little evidence of that happening at the moment.

Interesting comments and I will agree with some, though I must disagree with those that find it unfair that police (here and in other places) give them unwanted attention .......when they place others at risk. :D I have had traffic cops stop me here on a few occassions for speeding, not keeping left etc and I have opted to take the ticket and pay the fine .....at the station. Sure it is more expensive and time consuming, but I just don't condone corruption.

On one occassion, I was driving through Khorat on the way to Bangkok and was stopped after changing lanes..... no violation, I indicated, no solid line etc - the cops just wanted tea money. I (politely) took the ticket option (B400) which confused them both. I left my licence, backtracked to the station and waited in line with my wife, two year old and 3mth old. After about an hour we were called to the desk where the officer asked what happened... he was confused about the ticket. I explained that I wasn't sure what I did wrong but I came to pay anyway. He scribbled on the ticket, charged me B100 and gave me a reciept. I went back and collected my licence, said thanks :D and continued on my way.

Anyway, my main gripe and reason for the OP, was the result of me being pis_ed off and not accepting nor liking that someone can come to my wifes property, intimidate her, talk to her like sh_t and then steal from her..... The very same people who, when we have had need of assistance in the past, have chosen not to help. Since my children have arrived, my long appreciation and acceptance of ''third world" police and ''third world" ideals has changed somewhat, so I feel I need to take them elsewhere......I'm not sure why that doesn't make sense to some.

I dunno, maybe I truely am stark raving mad. :o

Interesting comments and I will agree with some, though I must disagree with those that find it unfair that police (here and in other places) give them unwanted attention .......when they place others at risk. :D I have had traffic cops stop me here on a few occassions for speeding, not keeping left etc and I have opted to take the ticket and pay the fine .....at the station. Sure it is more expensive and time consuming, but I just don't condone corruption.

On one occassion, I was driving through Khorat on the way to Bangkok and was stopped after changing lanes..... no violation, I indicated, no solid line etc - the cops just wanted tea money. I (politely) took the ticket option (B400) which confused them both. I left my licence, backtracked to the station and waited in line with my wife, two year old and 3mth old. After about an hour we were called to the desk where the officer asked what happened... he was confused about the ticket. I explained that I wasn't sure what I did wrong but I came to pay anyway. He scribbled on the ticket, charged me B100 and gave me a reciept. I went back and collected my licence, said thanks :D and continued on my way.

Anyway, my main gripe and reason for the OP, was the result of me being pis_ed off and not accepting nor liking that someone can come to my wifes property, intimidate her, talk to her like sh_t and then steal from her..... The very same people who, when we have had need of assistance in the past, have chosen not to help. Since my children have arrived, my long appreciation and acceptance of ''third world" police and ''third world" ideals has changed somewhat, so I feel I need to take them elsewhere......I'm not sure why that doesn't make sense to some.

Just before you leave drop a letter (in Thai) to the police station, possibly to copied to high ranked police too, saying why you're leaving as you have said above. I'm sure it won't change the force but it might just make some of the police "think" a little about what's been happening.

Just before you leave drop a letter (in Thai) to the police station, possibly to copied to high ranked police too, saying why you're leaving as you have said above. I'm sure it won't change the force but it might just make some of the police "think" a little about what's been happening.

I wouldn't recommend that. Mike has said that he's leaving extended family behind. The police might retaliate on the relatives.