Movie Censorship, Wtf! "sweeney Todd, Demon Bar..

thaidiver

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really a conundrum, in a society that seems so liberal (katoeys, sex shows, rampant prostitution) that they employ over 400 police in the BKK metro area to make sure that theaters are showing the "approved" version of films. A bit like the Saudi police of Vice and Virtue. But it seems to be the norm in SEA. Strange how all of the bootleg DVDs you can buy on the streets are the US release versions for the most part.

Simple rating system that is enforced would suffice, but that is not the Thai way.

It's sad that they miss some really relevant films e.g. Schindler's List since Steven Spielberg doesn't let any of his films be shown unedited. On Veteran's Day and Memorial Day they always broadcast Saving Private Ryan over the air on TV. They just box it with warnings before it starts and after each commercial break.

GunnyD

Watched my 70 baht copy yesterday, it was a first class copy.

I'm glad I didn't pay to watch it at a cinema, as I'm not into musicals.

Ok the content was a bit gory, but the throat slashing scenes were clearly acted.

As said before, if you can't handle it, don't watch it. :o

I see lots of people against any form of censorship in the movies and everyone keeps throwing in their ten cents along the same lines. But nobody seems to want or be able to answer the questions I raised about including extreme violence in a movie that is shown in Thailand. Oh ok, the guy before said censorship is a bad thing so I'll say the same. Has anyone really thought about the issue I wonder!

your view is patronising and assumes that thais are not adult enough to decide what they will or will not watch.

That wasn't directly the implication of what I wrote but now that you mention it explicitly, no, I believe that a large segment of Thai's are probably not sufficiently adult to make those decisions, when it comes to western produced films.

wow, you pretty much insulted half of the country to say that. maybe you should tell us what movies we are allowed to watch, since most of us cant make the decision.