Advice Please - Which Type Visa? - American Needs 1 Year Multiple Entry

Hello everyone,

I'm traveling to Thailand the first week in June this year. After visiting Thailand for one month last November, I now have a Thai girlfriend... a familiar story to everyone here I'm quite sure.

I will apply for the 1 year visa, with 90 day multiple entry, myself here at the Thai Consulate in Denver. Having lived in Holland and the UK for extended periods before, I understand how it can be with immigration rules and authorities. In Europe, telling immigration you were going to work in the country ended the application on the spot. In Thailand that seems to be different.

My confusion over the 1 year Thai visa options is which Type will best fit my situation. Here are my basic details and my questions.

Do I need a Business Visa with a work permit?

Or, should I apply for the 1 Year visa without work permit?

Basic details:

American - living now in Denver Colorado

Self-employed - Internet development and consulting. All clients and income are located Outside of Thailand.

I can work from anywhere as long as I have an internet connection.

Age 57 - will not be applying for retirement visa.

Banking - All my banking will remain in USA, though I plan on opening a local Thai bank account/ATM to always contain a few months expense money.

My girlfriend tells me she can prepare the standard letter for a 1 year work permit visa from the Thai located company she manages. She does it all the time for Americans working at her company. They usually travel out to Malaysia or another SE Asia Thai Embassy every year for the process.

I want to avoid the following if possible:

* Excessive reporting requirements while living in Thailand.

* Avoid all requirements to prove income.

* Avoid local Thai taxes on income that is generated and held outside Thailand.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Jan Gregory

Edited by JGregory

If I were you, I would go for annual retirement extensions (not the retirement visa.)

With that you need to open a Thai bank account and transfer in 800K baht and live on that money, refreshing it as needed. That would be the easiest way for you by far.

Thanks for your help. This would be good, but I do not want to transfer that kind of money to Thailand for this first 1 year visa. In fact, I only want to send in money every 3 months( $6k or so) for living expenses.

I do have a question about the Thai banking... I've heard stories of the Thai bank or some authority clipping "reception fees" or something up to 20% of the amount of money you have wired into the Thai Bank. True or not?

Does anyone else have any advice on the other 1 year visas.

Business with work permit?

Business without work permit?

Thanks again,

Jan

Edited by JGregory

There is no visa that allows work and no visa that comes with a built in work permit - they are separate items. A multi entry non immigrant B visa based on company letter of employment seems your best option. Work permits can be issued on such an entry for qualified employment.

There is no visa that allows work and no visa that comes with a built in work permit - they are separate items. A multi entry non immigrant B visa based on company letter of employment seems your best option. Work permits can be issued on such an entry for qualified employment.

Hi lopburi3,

Thanks for the answer. Could you add some clarification; I believe the non-immigrant visa on a company letterhead is what my girlfriend has done before. But the confusion I am having is this...

If the letter one takes to the Thai consulate is a letter of employment, then does that not imply a work permit?

Bear in my I don't wish to work for a Thai company, but only wish to qualify for the 1 year non-immigrant visa multiple entry. My only interest in clearing my confusion is to be certain I apply for the proper visa on the first go.

Thanks for you help,

Jan

The letter is for employment - you can not obtain the work permit until after your arrival and contract signing and a mass of paperwork is submitted to Labor Department. Many such endeavors end before this happens, but that does not invalidate the issued visa.

Immigration and the Labour Department are completely separate. If you want to work here you must obtain a non-immigrant 'B' visa and then apply at the Labour Department for a work permit (good luck :o ). If you want to stay here without working, then apply for a non-immigrant 'O'.

Immigration and the Labour Department are completely separate. If you want to work here you must obtain a non-immigrant 'B' visa and then apply at the Labour Department for a work permit (good luck :o ). If you want to stay here without working, then apply for a non-immigrant 'O'.

Thank, Westerner.

That helps clarify the work permit question. I'll be looking at all 3 types since I know I will return to the USA within the first year and can re-apply at that time for another visa type.

If I have this straight now this is what I have, and I welcome all comments on this please...

1) option for a "B" type business visa is easy to obtain with the sponsorship Letter from a Thai Company. Since I do not wish to work locally, then the work permit is a moot issue. I will still get a 1 year with multiple 90 day stays.

2) Option for a double entry O non-immigrant visa with the reason "exploring the possibility of retirement in Thailand"

Requires no Thail bank account for visa application.

Good for 2 entries of 90 days with 3rd stay on extension possible

3) The "O-A" type RETIREMENT NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

1. Age of 50 years or older

2. Thai Bank account of 800,000 THB or

3. Monthly Income of 65,000 THB or combination

4. Criminal History check

5. Medical Exam

I'm thinking at this point that the B business visa will the best option. Then in 1 year explore other options.

I welcome all comments. I've dealt with foreign immigration several times in several countries always on my own. The one major lesson learned was to go in with exactly what you wanted and with all the required documentation in perfect order. And that requires some inside knowledge in every case.

Many thanks to all of you offering help. It is much appreciated.

Thanks again Westerner.

Cheers,

Jan

The letter is for employment - you can not obtain the work permit until after your arrival and contract signing and a mass of paperwork is submitted to Labor Department. Many such endeavors end before this happens, but that does not invalidate the issued visa.

Thanks lopburi3. Please keep following this thread for me. I value your advice.

Since I won't be applying the work permit, that will get lost in the 1 year stay... and with the simple to obtain "B" type visa I will still get in my first year in Thailand.

That would be enough for me. I will return to the USA at some point after that first year, long enough to re-apply for an O type Retirement visa at that time.

Cheers,

Jan

5. Medical Exam

No requirement for the 800,000 THB in a Thai bank. Since you will not be in Thailand at the time, you would not be able to have it in the bank in Thailand. Just has to be in a bank somewhere where you can document it. Having it in the Thai bank would be for an extension of stay after your visa is no longer valid.

5. Medical Exam

No requirement for the 800,000 THB in a Thai bank. Since you will not be in Thailand at the time, you would not be able to have it in the bank in Thailand. Just has to be in a bank somewhere where you can document it. Having it in the Thai bank would be for an extension of stay after your visa is no longer valid.

is that true? Applying the first time in a foreign country like the US then the 800K baht or equivalent does not need to be in a Thailand bank?

So in theory if a person traveled back to his home country once a year or 15 months rather then they could get a new Non Imm O-A and never put money in a Thailand bank?

Yes and no.

Yes the money only needs to be in home country.

No you would not need to travel for 23+ months if you have a multi entry OA as each entry provides one year permitted to stay so if you make a new entry just before visa expiration you receive another 12 month entry.

JG,

Where'd you get your info on 'double entry O visa' and 'O-A visa?' I can't seem to find a website for Denver, if, indeed, that was your source........

Thanx.

Hello,

Lots of posts for information on Non O visa types. Many asked where I got information. I'm just sharing a few of the URLs here that I have found on the web. Use as you will. And thanks again to lopburi and tingjing for their help. These guys have been through the mill before.

My own forum post in ThaiVisa forum

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=167415

Another post from a gent seeking similiar requirements

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=92552

URLs where I have gathered information

This is an official Thai site with some English language pages. This URL for Business type visas

http://www.thaidac.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=51933&Ntype=4

Service for a Fee providing 1 year multiple entry.

http://www.siam-legal.com/Thailand_Service/thailand-one-year-visa.php

Government URLs

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1040.html

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/thai-...-americans.html