New Look For Cm

altman

i thought it was my imagination or poor timing, but now i am sure. the ladyboy hookers are gone.

that may not mean much and might actually be a good thing, but it was just the first thing i noticed.

next it was the removal of the street food vendors near sampec market in the evenings. the one's near the 7/11 along the inside moat road.

then, just a couple of nights ago, i noticed that those small vendors inside warorot market in the evenings are also gone. the one's that set up in the small passageways at warorot, not the one's along the streets and not the food vendors there.

i am sure there will always be crack downs on ladyboys and hookers, but removing the vendors is like taking away a large part of what makes thailand and CM special for tourists.

so my question is... why?

i thought it was my imagination or poor timing, but now i am sure. the ladyboy hookers are gone.

that may not mean much and might actually be a good thing, but it was just the first thing i noticed.

next it was the removal of the street food vendors near sampec market in the evenings. the one's near the 7/11 along the inside moat road.

then, just a couple of nights ago, i noticed that those small vendors inside warorot market in the evenings are also gone. the one's that set up in the small passageways at warorot, not the one's along the streets and not the food vendors there.

i am sure there will always be crack downs on ladyboys and hookers, but removing the vendors is like taking away a large part of what makes thailand and CM special for tourists.

Don't worry like everything else it will take a bit of time before they realise this is a bad idea and all the charming things about Chiang Mai will be back....

If you are really hard up though, check the alley near the Elephant Cafe and I am sure you will find what you're missing.

"IT's simple. Because Chiang Mai is not only for tourists. IT's for people to live in."

Rather uppity Infurinal! The ladyboy scene works quite well for the natives too. I see them talking them up and picking them up sometimes as I drive home on the E. side outside the moat. And yeah OP, you can still find 'em. At least they try to find me.... 'Hello handsome man, where you go ?" Maybe your eyes is blurry and you got beans in your ears or something, but they're there.

And the foodcarts thingy is part of a crackdown where the real shopkeepers in the buildings protested against the vendors coming too early or blocking their own traffic flow and thereby costing them lots of sales. The foodcarts are all off the record books for the most part, and never pay municipal taxes. Those businesses that do were getting pissed at missing out on sales. Of course this would be par for the course in any Western country. What restaurant would let a mobile restaurant set up on the sidewalk out side their business and start selling competing food ? However, I completely agree this is part of the charm of this place and cleaning up the streets blows. I love the foodcarts and street vendors wherever they be, although the cost is road efficiency and some street sanitation. I don't want the West, I want the East, and they are necessary to feeling that you are HERE. I agree too that they will reach a compromise and decide it was dumb and then move back just as they did with kicking vendors out of the Thapae Gate area for Walking Street. But it just takes time to correct itself as all.

Lastly, I found my banana shake dude - he sells hot soy milk mainly, and does other smoothies as well. With the diaspora of the vendors, nobody knows where anybody went, so not rewarding asking around sadly. However circling the moat a couple times I spotted my guy just up around the Sri Phum corner on the left next to a gyoza vendor. Never had the gyozas, but gonna go check 'em next time. The guy makes them himself - chicken. Look for the Japanese decorative banners and you'll find 'em both.

And the foodcarts thingy is part of a crackdown where the real shopkeepers in the buildings protested against the vendors coming too early or blocking their own traffic flow and thereby costing them lots of sales. The foodcarts are all off the record books for the most part, and never pay municipal taxes. Those businesses that do were getting pissed at missing out on sales.

That would be logical and the right thing to do. But that is far from the reason I heard.

And the foodcarts thingy is part of a crackdown where the real shopkeepers in the buildings protested against the vendors coming too early or blocking their own traffic flow and thereby costing them lots of sales. The foodcarts are all off the record books for the most part, and never pay municipal taxes. Those businesses that do were getting pissed at missing out on sales.

That would be logical and the right thing to do. But that is far from the reason I heard.

so, what did you hear?

Lastly, I found my banana shake dude - he sells hot soy milk mainly, and does other smoothies as well. With the diaspora of the vendors, nobody knows where anybody went, so not rewarding asking around sadly. However circling the moat a couple times I spotted my guy just up around the Sri Phum corner on the left next to a gyoza vendor. Never had the gyozas, but gonna go check 'em next time. The guy makes them himself - chicken. Look for the Japanese decorative banners and you'll find 'em both.

the gyoza is what i always went for. good to know where they have gone to, although not nearly so convenient. used to eat there several times a month. i recommend it. (there is another over by chiang mai gate but their prices are/were higher. never tried them so can't recommend one way or another)

but removing the vendors is like taking away a large part of what makes thailand and CM special for tourists.

IT's simple. Because Chiang Mai is not only for tourists. IT's for people to live in.

i do live here and i find it strange.

so, what did you hear?

Didn't you read the other thread? It's a big secret "that cannot be discussed here"; although the person that said this started a thread about it...

Somphet

so, what did you hear?

Didn't you read the other thread? It's a big secret "that cannot be discussed here"; although the person that said this started a thread about it...

Somphet

big secret? whats the big hoohaa about anyway. c'mon we're big boys and girls here

promostack_cheatsheet.jpg

c'mon lets have it...........

mouths%20-%20linda%20manymuses.jpg

Great, get the whores off the street. I would love to see all the trashy bargirls behind closed doors, or better yet kicked outta the city. Leave the trash in the islands is my wish...

Food stalls that don't hinder shop owners and keep a clean area are fine by me, they make great food!

I didn't say it cannot be discussed. I said I am not going to repeat it.

Libel suit anyone?

Rumor I'd heard was it's allegedly part of the master plan to move all of Chiang Mai's more seedy entertainment venues out to Chiang Mai land to make the night bazzar/loy Kroh/Thapae area a "better" place for all these high class tourists that are coming to the new hotels. Perhaps they are targeting rich Singaporeans and want to make them feel at home?

Libel suit anyone?

Rumor I'd heard was it's allegedly part of the master plan to move all of Chiang Mai's more seedy entertainment venues out to Chiang Mai land to make the night bazzar/loy Kroh/Thapae area a "better" place for all these high class tourists that are coming to the new hotels. Perhaps they are targeting rich Singaporeans and want to make them feel at home?

As far as I know, and I do know; these "high class tourists" really seem to like going to the "seedy" places. Husbands, wives, girlfriends all say they had a great time. Especially the Singaporeans and the Malays.

And as you say they do move it to Chiang Mai Land, who is going to pay to have a dam built to stop the potential flooding that will wipe all these "seedy" businesses out?

A lot of people do come to see temples; but not everyone....

Libel suit anyone?

As far as I know, and I do know; these "high class tourists" really seem to like going to the "seedy" places. Husbands, wives, girlfriends all say they had a great time. Especially the Singaporeans and the Malays.

A lot of people do come to see temples; but not everyone....

A lot more rich tourists and families come here to observe the bar scene from a safe distance than to see temples.

The more Thailand distances itself from "seedy" nightlife, the closer the Golden Goose comes to death. :o

No, you guys are all wet.

A "little bird" told me the real deal weeks ago; this is not some part of a master "plan".

Apparently the wife of a very important regional political official parked her car in front of some noodle stall vendors at Somphet market a few weeks ago.

Some of the said vendors were allegedly rude about the good lady's parking position.

Next day- vendors gone.

Sayonara. Hasta La Vista. Don't Let The Door Hit You On The Way Out.....

Enforcement of existing code, rarely enforced....or simple vindictiveness? You be the judge.

Personally I miss it, but hey, they all moved somewhere else, I'll find them....