Backpackers

DJ Pat

Backpacker: Pain in the arse?  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How easily you forget where you come from.

How about this...

as you have subjected us to your less than favourable views on most things these last few days..

Try starting a thread that actually says something positive?

Otherwise i will get out my dictionary and start a thread about............. DJ Pat :o

Has your boss not come back yet?

Hope he does soon

How easily you forget where you come from.

How about this...

as you have subjected us to your less than favourable views on most things these last few days..

Try starting a thread that actually says something positive?

Otherwise i will get out my dictionary and start a thread about............. DJ Pat :o

Has your boss not come back yet?

Hope he does soon

As you're probably a bloke masquerading as a cute thai girl, all I can say is don't take it too seriously.

Start a thread by all means, we'll have a laugh.

I'm not a backpacker...

But i fit the description  :o

Awwww Wolfie. Now you've gone and disillusioned me. I was certain that you were a superstar. :D

I'm the infamous backpacker, BO smelling superstar Dr PP.

I sing, dance and do magic tricks, all for a bottle of chang.

Sometimes i even drink warm water out of the bottle

(usually with a spoonful of coffee in it, and some added caffine tablets)

Ahhhhh Wolfie. Same, same Loong George. ( Runs on Chang )

There will always be people irritated by backpackers and there will always be people that were once backpackers who went through the 'natural' snobbery on their way to becoming expats during the transition period.

I used to travel, back in 2001, and was choosy who I associated myself with but they were always well groomed and had a wide repetoire when it came to conversation.

Most of the backpackers we shared Banglumpoo with in the early days were pretentious ######wits who thought that only three days into their stay they were 'At one with Thailand' and they fannied about on Kaosan with their dog-eared second hand Nick Hornby novels and their fanny beads and nearly always oh I can't be bothered.

pretentious ######wits who thought that only three days into their stay they were 'At one with Thailand' and they fannied about on Kaosan with their dog-eared second hand Nick Hornby novels and their fanny beads and nearly always oh I can't be bothered.

These are one of the minorities I'm getting at...

As was said in an earlier reply. You got your bad....

Israel's

The chicks and guys who get their hair dreaded(because its so cool man!) But only realise when they go back to their real job they need to get a haircut. Idiots!

Those who will haggle over 10 or 20 baht when they are on holiday( is only about 7.5p or 15p. Come on!

They refuse to leave a 10 or 20 baht tip for there meal See the one above. Many people who work in cafes/ resturants get shit money and rely on tips.

Only drink Chang because its the cheapest( By how much?) See the previous 2.

Buy a Chang/Singha or Laos beer t-shirt( if they go to Laos)

See the last one but not a t-shirt but vest.

Follow the Lonely Planet to the letter( its a good book as a guide ONLY)

The chicks that are fat who wear the bare minimum( put it away girls)

People who dont want ice in their drinks because they might get sick

They would rather spend 10 baht on Pad Thai off the street when there is much better food just around the corner for not much more. Also tastes better. They wont try things off the street because they might get sick but will eat Pad Thai because they see other BP's doing it.

Only go to Samui or Khopangan and maybe Changmai (if your lucky)

And so on..

But you have also got your good. People who come here to spend some money eat nice food and drink what ever they want. Basically have a good time.Sure save money on accom. Why not? means more beer and food money. But once again you cant group all the BP's as one bad lot. But there is alot you fit the bad. But i guess its because just we notice them more due to their attitude or actions

Most of the BPS i have met, both chicks and blokes. Have been down to earth people. But i have met some f###wits. I'm a backpacker who just happens to be lucky to be living here. When i go travelling I have a BP. Whether its the Uk, Oz, Nz or wherever. I see my self as a backpacker. But dont do any of the bad things i listed. When i first came to Thailand with a mate. We made a point of hanging out with some of the locals wherever we went. Many of those people are still friends now. Both in BKK and on the islands

But you have also got your good. People who come here to spend some money eat nice food and drink what ever they want. Basically have a good time.Sure save money on accom. Why not? means more beer and food money.

So hedonistic model consumers are 'good', people who have little money to spend or have different values and enjoy themselves without buying and tipping generously, are 'bad'?

What a narrowminded outlook on life and other people! :o

I started backpacking over 30 years ago and have met many great people along the way. Also have met some jerks. And I do agree that the attitude of backpackers overall may have degraded a bit over the years, but thats not enough to condemn them all. When I returned to Thailand to live I came with only a backpack. Seems our backpackers of today may be our Falang neighbors of the future. I would prefer someone who get a bit closer to the local culture, as you can do if you backpack properly, to the upscale tourist who flys in to a 5* resort stays a week and then goes home to tell everyone how quaint thailand was. They have no clue abourt the people or the culture. Besides I have met many old time Falangs here that are no ore than a bunch of washed out drunks that give falangs just as bad a name as do the irresponsible backpackers. Its just people folks, Some good some bad. Who you choose to deal with is "up to you". Happy living in LOS

I would prefer someone who get a bit closer to the local culture, as you can do if you backpack properly, to the upscale tourist who flys in to a 5* resort stays a week and then goes home to tell everyone how quaint thailand was. They have no clue abourt the people or the culture. Besides I have met many old time Falangs here that are no ore than a bunch of washed out drunks that give falangs just as bad a name as do the irresponsible backpackers. Its just people folks, Some good some bad. Who you choose to deal with is "up to you". Happy living in LOS

Well said Mikey7. Love them or hate them. BPs will always travel. Good and bad.

Yes they really should revise Lonely planet. Used to be it trully was a backpackers bible. Now its slowly become a tourist book. Many of the books are seriously outdated. But in thier defense its still probably the best one out there. Really do wish a few more BP'S would read the sections on local customs tho.

I sometimes put on my jandals and shorts and go have a nosy around Khao San. A pleasant change from the everyday world I live in. Nothing like having a good yarn with a traveller and maybe helping them out with any advice about LOS.

I'm guilty of doing this too.

I sometimes put on my jandals and shorts and go have a nosy around Khao San. A pleasant change from the everyday world I live in. Nothing like having a good yarn with a traveller and maybe helping them out with any advice about LOS.

And I thought you were an Ozzie digger too. It turns out that you are a sheepshagger :o

I sometimes put on my jandals and shorts and go have a nosy around Khao San.  A pleasant change from the everyday world I live in. Nothing like having a good yarn with a traveller and maybe helping them out with any advice about LOS.

And I thought you were an Ozzie digger too. It turns out that you are a sheepshagger :o

i have kiwi and aussie citizenship

I sometimes put on my jandals and shorts and go have a nosy around Khao San.  A pleasant change from the everyday world I live in. Nothing like having a good yarn with a traveller and maybe helping them out with any advice about LOS.

And I thought you were an Ozzie digger too. It turns out that you are a sheepshagger :D

i have kiwi and aussie citizenship

The jandals gave you up. Next you'll take the Chully Bun on the picnic :o

Yeah, those b.a.s.t.a.r.d. backpackers :D , travelling around Thailand for a year, no job, drinking every night, lazing on the beach, all those new experiences, nothing to worry about except what place to visit next.

I'd bet they'd be kicking themselves if they knew how we lived, working, paying off cars and houses, everyday the same view from the window, hahaha, the foolish backpackers, how bad it is for them. :D

eh, hold on lads, thinking about it, we might have made a wrong turn here :o