Mass Transit System Priority For New Govt

george

New Govt to extend mass-transit routes

1202036565.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Incoming Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Sunday said he would extend mass-transit routes across Bangkok and its suburbs as well as improve the country's irrigation using Mekong River water within three years.

Samak invited the news media to his home, where he cooked for them. He apologised for releasing the names of his Cabinet to Japanese correspondents and not local reporters.

Samak often makes headlines because of his acerbic tongue. But Sunday he showed a softer side, cracking jokes and sharing cooking tips and the experiences of his youth.

He said his first task would be to extend Skytrain routes, build more mass-transit systems and improve irrigation using water from the Mekong.

Earlier in the day, Samak joined a ceremony for veterans and was overheard telling outgoing defence minister Boonrawd Somtas that as defence minister he would not interfere in the military.

"I have no motivation. I just want to work in the Defence Ministry. The military chiefs can proceed with their work in accordance with procedure. I will not interfere,'' he said.

Samak said his life had changed since assuming office. "I had never worn a hat but this morning I had to wear one and stood at attention with soldiers. I used to wake up with freedom, but now I have to check my schedule to see what's ahead for me in the day," he said.

He said his love for cooking and shopping for ingredients started when he was seven and his mother asked him to do the shopping.

As his family moved from house to house in Bangkok, he had the chance to explore about 20 different markets.

Samak, a family man who neither smokes nor drinks, said his wife did not share his passion for cooking.

He handed out copies of his biography, which includes comments about Samak from 50 people, including former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

--The Nation 2008-02-03

Samak: Mass transit system priority for new govt

BANGKOK: -- Incoming prime minister Samak Sundaravej said on Sunday the most urgent tasks his government would undertake were to improve the mass transit rail system in Bangkok and upcountry and to build a huge reservoir for poverty-stricken Northeasterners.

Speaking to journalists at his residence, the People Power Party (PPP) leader said a dual railway track system was to be constructed nationwide. Likewise, Bangkok’s Sky Train service would be expanded in three more directions, each route spanning about 30 kilometers.

Plans on building the dual railway track system were suspended for almost two years after earlier being approved by the government of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The PPP, headed by Mr. Samak, is a close ally of the now defunct Thai Rak Thai Party of Mr. Thaksin.

Another ambitious project, said Mr. Samak, was to construct a reservoir to store water from the Mekong River. Once completed, the reservoir would alleviate water shortage problems faced by all 19 Northeast provinces. But he did not say where the exact location for the reservoir would be.

Touching on the ongoing violence in the deep South, Mr. Samak said he would assign concerned officials to handle the problem.

When asked whether he would continue to employ conciliatory measures in solving the crux, as was the case with the outgoing administration of Gen. Surayud Chulanont, Mr. Samak in typical style replied with a question of his own as to whether the measure had succeeded in solving the violence.

However, Mr. Samak said he would first discuss ways to solve the violence in the region with senior military officers before traveling there himself.

--TNA 2008-02-03

Would be nice if it gets implemented...so many people criticized Thaksin's megaprojects, but they are very much necessary for this country to progress. With the upcoming ASEAN+China railway project, Thailand could make a lot of money from trade.

Would be nice if it gets implemented...so many people criticized Thaksin's megaprojects, but they are very much necessary for this country to progress. With the upcoming ASEAN+China railway project, Thailand could make a lot of money from trade.

Thais find it hard to look beyond even tomorrow (never mind the near future)!!

Mass transt has been a 'priority' for the last 10+ years, nothing has ever happened since the BTS and MRT opened. The BTS extension over the river took god knows how long after the structure was completed before any serious work was done on actually getting trains across.

I personally have worked on three different designs for the Red Line and there were at least two previous design studies made, if they really wanted to they could JFDI and get started tomorrow, instead we'll be lumbered with yet another design study (which will be ignored by the next government of course).

I'll believe all this hype when I see a train running :o

Wasn't there no money to go on with these projects under TRT and the operators were to cover most of the costs to build the whole infrastructure?

Anyone remember the ridicule presentation where the TRT govt. had invited a whole group of foreign companies where someone had asked for an English copy of the cd presenting the projects and none were available? The three Thais answering questions fumbled all the way. :o Little children...

Although I may get 'flamed' by the "All Thais are total idiots" brigade, I have to say that these blokes are on the ball and listening to their most farsighted, and realistically hard-headed, advisors.

Dualling the railways is the most important infrastructure job needed in order to cope with the future.

Skytrain extensions are the most important infrastructure jobs needed to service the Bangkok of the future.

Water storage is the top need for Isaan.

They are recognising that oil prices will knock both trucking around the country and buses in Bangkok clean out of business, probably within thirty years.

And they are recognising that climate change means having to catch flood waters and put them in store to cover droughts.

Provided PPP drops the TRT's 'Thaksinomics' of credit-led boom, this could be a far, far better government than the wittering academics of the Democrats could possibly achieve.

No one denies importance of dual tracks or reservoirs, people doubt government's capability when it comes to implementing the projects.

Laying out dual tracks has been proposed ages ago but nobody could actually implement it. In its current form SRT is not in a position to run any big project, and reforming SRT is a huge political task. Can Samak succeed where Thaksin coudn't? During his five years as Bkk governor he did fuc_k all for infrastructure, why should we believe him now?

Why hasn't he mentioned all the Red/Blue/Purple lines? Some of them are ready to start bidding and construction, does it mean Samak is not interested in them anymore?

Thaksin has proposed 200 bil irrigation projects during his first term in office. It didn't take off the ground. Samak wants to build a reservoir. Fine, how long do you think it will take to conduct feasibility and environmental impact studies? How long will it take to relocate the people? What if they start public protests a la Malasian pipeline?

This government has six month self imposed deadline to produce results, none of Samak's projects will show any progress in six months, let alone produce any benefits.

The most worrying aspect is that he might drop current infrastructure projects in favour of his own pies in the sky. Thailand desperately needs to start investing, the country can't postpone it any longer and wait for Samaks plans to materialise.

Instead of critisizing them for the enjoyment of it, perhaps the new government should be given some time to settle in and lets see what they do implement as opposed to just talking about. Seems like sensible infrastructure projects to me, lets see what happens.

Nobody here is saying they are not sensible. We are just doubting he will pull it off. All of these policies were launched Buddha knows how many years ago. Apart from that the projects are more complicated then Samak is saying. It is not just double tracking for instance, it is a choice to stay with meter gauge (with all of its limitations) or go with standard gauge. And much more. All governments in Thailand start with big proposals. In the end nothing gets done. Same like when Samak was Bangkoks governor, he promised everything, but did nothimg!

How can we take a government like that seriously?

Waerth

Instead of critisizing them for the enjoyment of it, perhaps the new government should be given some time to settle in and lets see what they do implement as opposed to just talking about. Seems like sensible infrastructure projects to me, lets see what happens.

There are 200 billion worth of infrastructure projects wating for the government to go at full steam but we hear about some new fantasies instead.

If they screw the current projects, the country is doomed - it's the only solution to sluggish domestic investment. People have been waiting for this jump start for years already.

So, I don't really care about grandiouse plans for the next decade, there's work to be done NOW.

There are 200 billion worth of infrastructure projects wating for the government to go at full steam but we hear about some new fantasies instead.

If they screw the current projects, the country is doomed - it's the only solution to sluggish domestic investment. People have been waiting for this jump start for years already.

So, I don't really care about grandiouse plans for the next decade, there's work to be done NOW.

Must act now.....no time to think.....leave gun at hip and start firing.....

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight........goooooood ideaaaaaaaaaa PLus.....if you are thinking of becoming a gov't advisor I suggest you keep your day job.

Chownah

I live out in the Bangkapi area and was overjoyed to hear that the Orange line would be completed in 6 years. That was 4 years ago, and although plenty of potholes, no subway. :o

Nothing surprises me any more!

Edited by Big A

Mass transit system ... why not.

To transit the mass from one side of BKK to the other side

To transit the mass out of BKK

To transit the mass to BKK

Interesting ... thailand has been under construction for ever for a good reason : that's were the money is to be made ..

But my kudos will go to the one who rather says : should we collect the rubbish and do something about it ... the river in thailand are dead (and underground water ?)

Just out of curiosity, these Red Lines, Green, Purple lines whatever, it has been about 4/5 years since they started talking about them, does anyone know if any form of construction is underway anywhere?

yes, lot of housing projects trying to get 10 times their real worth .... :o

Ministry of Transport ready to propose 9 rail lines and Suvarnabhumi Airport management plan to new Government

Transport Ministry Chief Chaisawas Kittipaiboon (ชัยสวัสดิ์ กิตติพรไพบูลย์) revealed that the ministry has instructed various offices to prepare reports of their projects to be presented to the new government. The project that has been given first priority by the ministry is the construction of 9 additional electric train lines which has been entrusted to the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy Planning. The ministry will also push to present new passenger terminal management schemes for Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Mass Rapid Transit Authority (MRTA) Governor Praphas Jongsanguan (ประภัสร์ จงสงวน) stated the MRTA will present rail line extension plans to the new Transport Minister once appointed. The 9 new lines will include extensions between Bangkapi and the Thailand Cultural Center, Srinakarin road and Ladprao and Bangkapi to Minburi.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 February 2008

Ministry of Transport ready to propose 9 rail lines and Suvarnabhumi Airport management plan to new Government

Transport Ministry Chief Chaisawas Kittipaiboon (ชัยสวัสดิ์ กิตติพรไพบูลย์) revealed that the ministry has instructed various offices to prepare reports of their projects to be presented to the new government. The project that has been given first priority by the ministry is the construction of 9 additional electric train lines which has been entrusted to the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy Planning. The ministry will also push to present new passenger terminal management schemes for Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Mass Rapid Transit Authority (MRTA) Governor Praphas Jongsanguan (ประภัสร์ จงสงวน) stated the MRTA will present rail line extension plans to the new Transport Minister once appointed. The 9 new lines will include extensions between Bangkapi and the Thailand Cultural Center, Srinakarin road and Ladprao and Bangkapi to Minburi.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 February 2008

Does anyone have a route map of these proposed lines?

On another aside, does anyone have a map of the bus routes? I'm very frustrated with not being able to read Thai, but hardly any of the buses I go on have an English translation. Past my house I have a nice new Yellow City Bus No. 8, and nearby a 40. Then I have an air / non air 113, and air 168, 514, and 519. Any body know the routes?

Off topic and off the top of my head. 113 Hualamphong to Minburi? 514 Minburi to Si Phraya 168 Victory Monument to Ramkhamhaeng? 519 Can't remember Suan Siam? to Silom? via Sri Nakharin Road. Get yourself a bus map. They're essential for the non ไทย reading bus-traveller.

Happy riding ('cos there ain't gonna be no more significant railway development in the next 10 years.)

Must act now.....no time to think.....leave gun at hip and start firing.....

No time to think? What do you mean? The projects have passed through thinking and planning stages long time ago. Even financing is secured already. They even opened bids for one of the lines.

They will never be able to build anything if with every government change "thinking" starts again. On the second hand, that's exactly what they have been doing.

On the positive side, I'm hope Samak will be forced to play along and he won't be allowed any time for "thinking", it's not whipping up 30 baht Pad Thai or something he usually thinks about.

I doubt he'll ever mention a plan to "steal" Mekong water through underground pipes again either, though it will be fun to watch if he does it at Asean meeting in front of Chinese or Vietnamese.

I think this proposal is more of a message that he has big plans for a long time rather than commitment to actually doing anything.

Does anyone have a route map of these proposed lines?

On another aside, does anyone have a map of the bus routes? I'm very frustrated with not being able to read Thai, but hardly any of the buses I go on have an English translation. Past my house I have a nice new Yellow City Bus No. 8, and nearby a 40. Then I have an air / non air 113, and air 168, 514, and 519. Any body know the routes?

On bus routes I can't help. On train routes there are maps all over the web as these projects have been planned for many years. You should be able to get info on them at http://www.2bangkok.com.

The "mega projects" are among the most juicy bones in Thailand (look at the new airport).

Therefore, and because of their relentless greed, you can expect many gvts before to see any concrete poured.

The saga of the "mega projects" started by the end of 2004, with Thaksin.

At that time it was grandiose : 500 billions THB, and hundred of km of mass transit lines.

Then... then... Thaksin 2. Still lot of amusement. He made a meeting with foreign embassadors and gave them... a CD ! With, allegedly, all the details. Yes ladies and gentlemen a CD. And he asked for proposals within one month...

At that time, the foreigners started to understand that Thaksin was a joke. But that's another topic.

Then... rallyes. Thaksin 3 (care taker). Other problems to care about, obviously.

Then... pouf... the Coup. Too bad.

The Junta started to toy with the idea. But with a mere 150 billions THB. And very long negociations with the Japanese.

Then... elections. And Thaksin 4 (oops sorry, Samak 1).

And now it's back to square one : 500 billions THB. And thousands of km of new train lines. "a plan to expand dual railway tracks from 3 700 to 7 400 kilometres." (read here).

And still, not a word on who will finance, and how.

Mega projects ? Mega laugh. And mega shame.

There was a cancelled bidding last year because no one applied (well, not enough bidders anyway).

The thing is, that investment is very important for jumpstarting the economy. They can try fiddliing with the baht or squeeze a few drops from exporters and tourists, but without starting genuine economic activity it's all cosmetics only. They don't have any other ideas where to productively invest 500 billion, or even 150 billion.