How Can A Photographer Get Permission To Take Photographs In Thailand?

What's the official position on this one?....

A UK company wants some specific photographs of Thailand and want to send an English photographer to take the pictures.

i) Is this allowed by Thailand?

ii) Is there a Visa and WP that is available to be applied for in this instance?

A UK company wants some specific photographs of Thailand and want to send an English photographer to take the pictures.

ii) Is there a Visa and WP that is available to be applied for in this instance?

You might be best off approaching the Tourism Authority of Thailand's London office and seeking a permit.

Unless you intend taking pics of the site for the proposed nuclear power station

you should be Ok.

Given the strict laws on foreigners "working" in Thailand, I am worried about leaving myself open to be lynched by any official with an axe to grind.

Working of Aliens Act - Section 5:

"work" means engaging in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefit;

You might be best off approaching the Tourism Authority of Thailand's London office and seeking a permit.

dr_pat_pong, I just called the TAT in London and explained what I wanted to do. They tell me that there was no problem, no permission or permit was needed. (Why don't I believe it's that simple?). Maybe I should get that in writing :o (Thai writing).

It's just have it on my mind that I would in fact be visibly working in Thailand and there's been a lot said about that on TV!

Yes, you can get a "work permit" for this - there is a special visa that permit work as a foreign journalist/photographer, there is a section at the thai immigration website.

For what , I assume , is a few days work?

Cheers

Yes, you can get a "work permit" for this - there is a special visa that permit work as a foreign journalist/photographer, there is a section at the thai immigration website.

For what , I assume , is a few days work?

Cheers

Marvo,

These must be pretty rare photos for a UK firm to fly you out here.

The legal way is through the UK Thai Embassy. If the client wants to use the photo's in the future there will be questions raised about how they aquired the pix. I take a lot of aviation/aerial pix here in Thailand.

There are very few GV's that have not been taken already. If the client is doing something special like a product launch or a tv cooking show the Thai's will want to know why a local guy cannot take the pix.(for the client a lot cheaper)

I can only find references effectivly to "journalsim" and working directly for a publication and/or having journalistic accreditation. A photographer is not necessarily (or in fact normally) a "photojournalist". I need to do some more digging.

If the client wants to use the photo's in the future there will be questions raised about how they aquired the pix.

I can just see it. The Thai embassy in the UK will be questioning a UK company on how they got pictures of Thailand. I for one think the Thai government has better things to do than keep a lookout for pictures used worldwide that might have been taken in Thailand by someone without a work permit.

If the client wants to use the photo's in the future there will be questions raised about how they aquired the pix.

I can just see it. The Thai embassy in the UK will be questioning a UK company on how they got pictures of Thailand. I for one think the Thai government has better things to do than keep a lookout for pictures used worldwide that might have been taken in Thailand by someone without a work permit.

In theory it would be illegal.

In practice there is no way you'll get a work permit.

Will it stop you coming?

I think we maybe on a similar page.

But if the OP is or isn't prepared to do it totally legit he should say so.

If more people did the government would be more likely to clarify its rules.

Cheers

I agree.

A professional photographer will need all his equipment. which usually requires a Carnet de Passage

to clear customs. This automatically marks you as "working" and you will need a permit.

I agree.

A professional photographer will need all his equipment. which usually requires a Carnet de Passage

to clear customs. This automatically marks you as "working" and you will need a permit.

I got enough of the delicate gear through last year in hand luggage no problem. Shooting anything in a manor that any tourist might do so would attract no attention and has never caused a problem in the past.

My main concern is being too conspicuous out and about in public with tripod, camera, flash or an assistant holding up a couple of large silver reflectors etc. I can hear the voice behind me now..... "what you do?" I just need to know what piece of paper is obtainable to silence the official looking guy chasing tea money.

I agree.

I got enough of the delicate gear through last year in hand luggage no problem. Shooting anything in a manor that any tourist might do so would attract no attention and has never caused a problem in the past.

My main concern is being too conspicuous out and about in public with tripod, camera, flash or an assistant holding up a couple of large silver reflectors etc. I can hear the voice behind me now..... "what you do?" I just need to know what piece of paper is obtainable to silence the official looking guy chasing tea money.

Basically, I would not worry about. I'm a professional photographer, have been living here 3 years. I earn my keep selling stock photos (sold outside of Thailand, money paid outside of Thailand, but do have photos from Thailand)...it is close to impossible to get a Non M (media) visa here, so there are no "legal" ways to do it. Nobody will ever hassle you about equipment or cameras (unless you are out on the street with an entire film crew). If you ever were hassled, you are here on holiday engaging in your hobby. Outside of someone having a vendetta against you, you aren't going to be bothered by anyone....for visa's sake, and this applies to any country, I have learned over the years not to put "photographer" under occupation, it sets off alarm bells (ie investigative photojournalist), so just dont put that down.

...unless you are out on the street with an entire film crew...

He does say that he would have a couple of assistants holding giant reflectors. I think this might be a problem. If he is just a guy with a tripod, camera and flash, it probably would not be too noticable, but if he has guys holding up reflectors, people will take notice.