Worst Eateries Of Pattaya, Please Add To The List....

thaidiver

-Worst Eateries of Pattaya, so we know which to avoid

I took this topic from the Bangkok forum as I think it is even more relevant for Pattaya. Seems like I'm always having trouble finding decent food here in terms of food quality, price, and service. Trying to help member avoid the pitfalls of dining in tourist-scamville. Please list

Slices Pizza: was OK when they first opened, but now the slices are smaller, scant amounts of cheese, crust is cardboard, not good value for your money, service fine. They've opened little kiosks all over town now, the one at Topps market is particulary unpopular.

Foodland: Used to love this place, now they've raised there prices, service is mediocre (try getting a second glass of water), staff always hurried, getting your bill paid takes 7 months, food nothing to write home about, although the large selection keeps people coming back.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

-Worst Eateries of Pattaya, so we know which to avoid

I took this topic from the Bangkok forum as I think it is even more relevant for Pattaya. Seems like I'm always having trouble finding decent food here in terms of food quality, price, and service. Trying to help member avoid the pitfalls of dining in tourist-scamville. Please list

Slices Pizza: was OK when they first opened, but now the slices are smaller, scant amounts of cheese, crust is cardboard, not good value for your money, service fine. They've opened little kiosks all over town now, the one at Topps market is particulary unpopular.

Foodland: Used to love this place, now they've raised there prices, service is mediocre (try getting a second glass of water), staff always hurried, getting your bill paid takes 7 months, food nothing to write home about, although the large selection keeps people coming back.

I think its boredom with the same thing at foodland,and they seem 2 waitresses short al the time, there is a great thai run place called jits in jomtien, you will be amazed by the quality and sizes of the portions, superb ! its just past the dolphin on the left, turn left, straight ahead over the dirt road is where it is, worth searching out,.

I agree that Slices Pizza has really declined in recent times. Cost is 45 baht a slice. Not worth 25 baht. Now you can buy a Slices Pizza franchise for only 150,000 baht. What a f@cking joke.

Big C Sukhumvit Food Court is really horrible.

Pizza Pizza has really bad pizza and the lasgne isn't much better.

Food Court in Tukcom IT sucks.

Subway sandwiches are mostly veggies and dam little meat.

Crazy Dave's serves dishes that are something close to garbage. Good place if you like the company of drunken fools.

All Seasons Hotel has the worst buffet in Pattaya (maybe all of Thailand) and only 400 baht.

Food Court on the top of Royal Garden is expensive and BORING. No need to have good taste. The farang tourists will buy it anyway.

S&P is a good place if you are really deperate for boring food.

Tops Supermarket food court is a good place for cheap tasleless dishes. Good for people that have burned out taste buds.

The restauarant at Flamingo Hotel on the right of the hotel entry. Waste of time and a perfectly good appetite.

Luxor is ok if you want to pay a lot and get a little.

I think its boredom with the same thing at foodland,and they seem 2 waitresses short al the time, there is a great thai run place called jits in jomtien, you will be amazed by the quality and sizes of the portions, superb ! its just past the dolphin on the left, turn left, straight ahead over the dirt road is where it is, worth searching out,.

I don't think anyone will find it with those direction. I don't know of any dolphin statue in Jomtien.

El Torro Steak House

Beni Hana

Henry J Beans

Tequila Reef

Rosie O'Gradies

Villa Market (good coffee though)

Give me time , I'm not in Pattaya as much as BKK.

S+P = Sokaprok and Pang (I do like their Vanilla Malt Milk Shakes)

Pizza Pizza (consistent with their outlet in Paragorn)

Foodland (I guess its like the BKK ones , its very cheap and you get what you pay for)

But Pattaya does have some good places.

The kanom jean shop next to the trafic lights on third road where that horrible yellow Hummer is always parked. (though I heard its moving to third road opposite excyte, the eatery , I'm not sure the owner is ever brave enough to move the Hummer)

Cherries (swiss place opposite Excyte)

Blue Parrot (not been for years though)

Palmers (not been for years though)

Bakery shop in Carrefour fantastic quiche (just inside the entrance from the carpark)

The place with the very fashionable chairs in The Avenue bits from different restaurants including Blue Elephant

Delaneys

Yorkies (ok its Jomtien)

That ice cream place just up walking street.

And many others that have opened and closed within the blink of an eye!

Shame La Gritta has gone.

Cheers

Slices sucked even when it first opened and 45 baht for a little tiny slice of day old pizza is joke.

I don't think anyone will find it with those direction. I don't know of any dolphin statue in Jomtien.

I do apolagise, its not a dolphin, its a thai statue of a monkey in traditional costume ( hanuman ? ) ,. ok on the approach to jomtien from s pattaya, come past that awful junction with theppasit just after pan pan, go straight through ( eventually ) go another 200 yds and there is a small roundabout on the left with a thai creature in traditional costume on it, just past the roundabout take the first left, go 50 yards and you will be at a T junction ( but the road actually continues round to the left ) go straight across onto the dirt ( its under construction ) go 30 yards and stop on the left,there are 2 restaurants, its the one on the left,this is a small, new complex and is still a bit rough around the edges but as i said worth the trip,. Edited by mikethevigoman

well i did, but i do live in jomtien ! :o ,. ok on the approach to jomtien from s pattaya, come past that awful junction with theppasit just after pan pan, go straight through ( eventually ) go another 200 yds and there is a small roundabout on the left with a dolphin on it, just past the roundabout take the first left, go 50 yards and you will be at a T junction ( but the road actually continues round to the left ) go straight across onto the dirt ( its under construction ) go 30 yards and stop on the left,there are 2 restaurants, its the one on the left,

The only dolphin statue I know is at the bottom of North Road,Naklua. Do you mean the Hanuman statue in Jomtien?

well i did, but i do live in jomtien ! :o ,. ok on the approach to jomtien from s pattaya, come past that awful junction with theppasit just after pan pan, go straight through ( eventually ) go another 200 yds and there is a small roundabout on the left with a dolphin on it, just past the roundabout take the first left, go 50 yards and you will be at a T junction ( but the road actually continues round to the left ) go straight across onto the dirt ( its under construction ) go 30 yards and stop on the left,there are 2 restaurants, its the one on the left,

The only dolphin statue I know is at the bottom of North Road,Naklua. Do you mean the Hanuman statue in Jomtien?

i beleive i do !, sorry i have amended my post :D

Like njpski I tend to avoid western food when in Thailand but every now and again the old guts just crave that good old plate of stodge.

The Ritz, soi Yamato (13/1) used to serve up a good quality and quantity bellyfull. However the last couple of times I've been there the food was about the worst example of English style pub grub cr@p :o . Probably the best evidence the British food bashers could come up with in support of their case. I also don't much like the decor, too gloomy and depressing.

In fact I don't go for most of the Jamesons/Delaneys/Rosie O'Gradies style of bar cum restaurant. Fancy menu descriptions that somehow just never get transformed into reality on the plate.

percy2, the Blue Parrot used to be a reasonable place for Tex Mex back in the '90s but since the change of ownership, can't remember when but a while back maybe around 2000, went downhill. Don't know what is is like these days but the last time I ate there, around '04, it wasn't much to write home about.

Can't say I like Fuji that much either, overpriced tasteless microportions. A lot of my Thai work colleagues like it though so I usually end up going there to please them.

The Spaghetti Factory, corner of soi Post Office (13/2), used to dish up the best pizzas in town but, like so many places, has gone right downhill.

My big problem when I'm back in Pattaya is that most of my favourite Thai eating places have been either bulldozed to make way for another <deleted> condo project or have shut up shop and relocated. So next visit, 3 weeks and counting, I have pledged to hunt out some new ones preferrably the scruffy, family run, establishments.

Slices sucked even when it first opened and 45 baht for a little tiny slice of day old pizza is joke.

When they first opened they made 6 slices of a pizza, now they make 8 slices, i.e. slices now 20% smaller but price unchanged. I think they've also cut down on the topping but more difficult to prove.

Like njpski I tend to avoid western food when in Thailand but every now and again the old guts just crave that good old plate of stodge.

The Ritz, soi Yamato (13/1) used to serve up a good quality and quantity bellyfull. However the last couple of times I've been there the food was about the worst example of English style pub grub cr@p :o . Probably the best evidence the British food bashers could come up with in support of their case. I also don't much like the decor, too gloomy and depressing.

In fact I don't go for most of the Jamesons/Delaneys/Rosie O'Gradies style of bar cum restaurant. Fancy menu descriptions that somehow just never get transformed into reality on the plate.

percy2, the Blue Parrot used to be a reasonable place for Tex Mex back in the '90s but since the change of ownership, can't remember when but a while back maybe around 2000, went downhill. Don't know what is is like these days but the last time I ate there, around '04, it wasn't much to write home about.

Can't say I like Fuji that much either, overpriced tasteless microportions. A lot of my Thai work colleagues like it though so I usually end up going there to please them.

The Spaghetti Factory, corner of soi Post Office (13/2), used to dish up the best pizzas in town but, like so many places, has gone right downhill.

My big problem when I'm back in Pattaya is that most of my favourite Thai eating places have been either bulldozed to make way for another <deleted> condo project or have shut up shop and relocated. So next visit, 3 weeks and counting, I have pledged to hunt out some new ones preferrably the scruffy, family run, establishments.

Too true phil,.i give them brit type pub places a miss, i came over here to get away from them ! however i have to say that the pig and whistles fish and chips are superb if i do lose my memory now and again and fancy a stomach submarine/bum plug,. please try that Jits i mentioned in jomtien, if you arent equally pleased ill pay !. ps ,i have no connection to it just a very satisfied customer ( many times )

Not by my experience. At Took Lae Dee the service is efficient, the food always good (if it isn't, send it back) and my bill takes a few minutes to pay, and getting a 2nd glass of water is never a problem.

If you go there when every seat is taken, then some delays can be expected, but it would be the same at any restaurant.

I was there a few days ago and didn't notice any price increase. If there was one, then it wasn't significant. Do you expect restaurants to keep their prices exactly the same forever?

I've eaten at Jits many times. The quality is ok, but many dishes are too small.

Try the chicken n' cashews...it's barely a snack.

Try the spaghetti bolonaise...also barely a snack.

T-bone steak...no good.

The quality of food is not consistent.

Not by my experience. At Took Lae Dee the service is efficient, the food always good (if it isn't, send it back) and my bill takes a few minutes to pay, and getting a 2nd glass of water is never a problem.

If you go there when every seat is taken, then some delays can be expected, but it would be the same at any restaurant.

I was there a few days ago and didn't notice any price increase. If there was one, then it wasn't significant. Do you expect restaurants to keep their prices exactly the same forever?

I'm a fan of the counter in Foodland but lately have been hitting up the one in Villa Supermarket for the breakfast special.

Less people and bigger portions.

to expect pizza to be good anywhere in the world is a bit much

also how many greeks do aa haan Thai well - so don't expect Thai cooks to do farang food well

i don't go to Thailand to eat farang food

I totally disagree.

There a lot of good Farang food in Pattaya.

There's also a lot of bad Thai food in Pattaya.

I didn't go to Thailand just to eat, but I eat more Farang food here than Thai food. The availability of so much good farang food is one of Pattaya's big plusses.

I'm a fan of the counter in Foodland but lately have been hitting up the one in Villa Supermarket for the breakfast special.

Less people and bigger portions.

I've eaten there a fair bit myself, but in my experience the dishes are smaller than Foodland's. I don't order breakfast specials, but over the rest of the menu you'll find the servings quite small...but having said that, Foodland's servings are usually quite small too so it's just about degrees of small.

If you want to see the smallest chicken n' cashews in Pattaya, you'll find it at Villa. I tried it twice hoping the first time was a mistake. It's so small it's an insult to call it a meal.

They also microwave a lot of food (even rice) whereas Took Lae Dee doesn't use one.

You have to be a serious Cheap Charlie to eat in a Supermarket "Gobble and Go"

and then complain about it :o

I've lost count of the number of girlfriends who've dumped me after dinner at Tops.

Naka.

Edited by naka

to expect pizza to be good anywhere in the world is a bit much

also how many greeks do aa haan Thai well - so don't expect Thai cooks to do farang food well

i don't go to Thailand to eat farang food

I totally disagree.

There a lot of good Farang food in Pattaya.

There's also a lot of bad Thai food in Pattaya.

I didn't go to Thailand just to eat, but I eat more Farang food here than Thai food. The availability of so much good farang food is one of Pattaya's big plusses.

Me too, I understand tourist want to forget farang food, but when we are resident, we need sometimes good farang food and it is a good idea to give information about the worst eateries, farang and thai.

Neeroys is excellent on soi chiapoon very close to soi bouakao - its directly opposite Crazy Daves. Neeroys menu is huge - there is something on his menu for everyone, his English style fish n chips must be the best in Pattaya. You cannot miss Neeroys, Huge" Bradford curries" signs outside in yellow. Try it, i bet you will all agree. :o

Neeroys is excellent on soi chiapoon very close to soi bouakao - its directly opposite Crazy Daves. Neeroys menu is huge - there is something on his menu for everyone, his English style fish n chips must be the best in Pattaya. You cannot miss Neeroys, Huge" Bradford curries" signs outside in yellow. Try it, i bet you will all agree. :o

Sorry - do NOT agree.

I've only been in the once, after returning from a Cambo visa-run.

Felt like a curry, ticked off the items I wanted.

Was delivered of a really greasy nan, very small. Rice was OK, curry was less than poor.

Will not go again - I haven't had much worse in Pattaya.

Too true phil,.i give them brit type pub places a miss, i came over here to get away from them ! however i have to say that the pig and whistles fish and chips are superb if i do lose my memory now and again and fancy a stomach submarine/bum plug,. please try that Jits i mentioned in jomtien, if you arent equally pleased ill pay !. ps ,i have no connection to it just a very satisfied customer ( many times )

It is a while since I was in the Blue Parrot.

How could I forget the Pig and Whistle, great breakfast.

Also forgotten was the Queen Vic, always good nosh.

Kebabs opposite The Avenue.

Curry Bratwurst from Denmark Burger stands (this may be purely based on the amount of alcohol always consumed prior to eating one)

Cheers

I hope some one starts a thread about the worst food in Samet. I'll be able to dig out my old story about ordering macaroni cheese and getting soggy pasta with a Kraft slice thrown on top.

Sorry - do NOT agree.

Was delivered of a really greasy nan, very small. Rice was OK, curry was less than poor.

MAYBE THATS WHAT A BRADFORD CURRY IS LIKE :D

to be honest i think i tried a curry there and wasnt overly impressed but there fish and chips are fantastic and good value for money,havent really tried much else on the menu as hooked(no pun intended) on the f and c.

Sorry - do NOT agree.

MAYBE THATS WHAT A BRADFORD CURRY IS LIKE :D

to be honest i think i tried a curry there and wasnt overly impressed but there fish and chips are fantastic and good value for money,havent really tried much else on the menu as hooked(no pun intended) on the f and c.

I would assume Bradford curries are very much like Leeds curries (where my daughter went to Uni.). Excellent - almost as good as Greenford / Southall. But what I had was really disappointing, especially after so many people had been singing the praises of the place. When I'm in that area in the mornings I shall stick to CDs - and Neeroys isn't open until about 4 in the afternoon, anyway, according to the notice outside.

Gone off f&c a lot - all seems to have a very strange batter - not the light one I am used to, but a crunchy one that soaks up a lot of oil/fat. Not just Pattaya - everywhere I go these days. Not been the same since the authorities decreed that newspaper wasn't to be used for wrapping food in. That used to soak up all the surplus grease. Now it all stays in the batter.

What is going on here...all i see is whining poms...well i guess the restaurant owners are sorry you cannot have roast beaf & yorkshire pudding for Baht99 . It just cannot happen. As far as the pizza slices... come on .. where did you all grow up..uyou wanta good slice of pizza then buy it from a restaurant that specialises in pizzas. You cheap charlies make me laugh !! :o

I've eaten at Jits many times. The quality is ok, but many dishes are too small.

Try the chicken n' cashews...it's barely a snack.

Try the spaghetti bolonaise...also barely a snack.

T-bone steak...no good.

The quality of food is not consistent.

I wouldnt call my self small eater and i consider the portions sufficent at worst, we eat there almost everyday and can honestly say the food is consistantly good,i think you may have a bigger appetite than most and possibly are over critical,although to be fair ive never eaten any of those farang types of dishes you mention as we prefer thai, and that is maybe where they excel,. we all have our opinions and theres mine ,.

Worst eateries of Pattaya, christ where do you start on that one, there are certainly a load of <deleted> places to eat here.

The worst food I've probably had was that chinese placed that advertised itself as Brit style Chinese, think it was called Chow Soi or something like that, heaven forbid if this place is still around it was totally awful.

I love fish and chips but again I have yet to find anything in Pattaya that I could say was anywhere near a good fish and chips in the UK, but the biggest dissapointment I had was when that Simons fish and chips opened in Jomtien, I'm sorry but it's total crap. The fish was obviously taken out of a freezer and not cooked properly so it was mush the batter was also mush probably from the fish being so cold when they dropped it into the frier, batter for me should be light and most definetly crispy. The chips where also a greasy mush with a lot of green in the potatoes and if you know anything about potatoes is that green potatoes should never be eaten as the green is a toxin and it can if eaten in enough quantity give you a really bad case of stomachache.

For Indian food I have had very bad indian food in the Raj on 3rd road and won't go back there again, for a area that describes itself as a gourmet paradise in the travel literature when you come to live here you realise that this description should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

....... for an area that describes itself as a gourmet paradise in the travel literature when you come to live here you realise that this description should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

As a gourmet I must point out that I would NEVER have a very large pinch of salt :o