Worst Eateries Of Pattaya, Please Add To The List....

thaidiver

Worst eateries of Pattaya, christ where do you start on that one, there are certainly a load of <deleted> places to eat here.

The worst food I've probably had was that chinese placed that advertised itself as Brit style Chinese, think it was called Chow Soi or something like that, heaven forbid if this place is still around it was totally awful.

I love fish and chips but again I have yet to find anything in Pattaya that I could say was anywhere near a good fish and chips in the UK, but the biggest dissapointment I had was when that Simons fish and chips opened in Jomtien, I'm sorry but it's total crap. The fish was obviously taken out of a freezer and not cooked properly so it was mush the batter was also mush probably from the fish being so cold when they dropped it into the frier, batter for me should be light and most definetly crispy. The chips where also a greasy mush with a lot of green in the potatoes and if you know anything about potatoes is that green potatoes should never be eaten as the green is a toxin and it can if eaten in enough quantity give you a really bad case of stomachache.

For Indian food I have had very bad indian food in the Raj on 3rd road and won't go back there again, for a area that describes itself as a gourmet paradise in the travel literature when you come to live here you realise that this description should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

I have to agre paul,it seems that these people coming over here and opening "english style ' chinese and so forth are probably writing the ingredients down and in practice it isnt working, again i say its not the people that have had/do have successful businesses in another country that are coming here, more like a builders labourer that wants to "give it a go ", pattaya is full of em ! :o Edited by mikethevigoman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like njpski I tend to avoid western food when in Thailand but every now and again the old guts just crave that good old plate of stodge.

The Ritz, soi Yamato (13/1) used to serve up a good quality and quantity bellyfull. However the last couple of times I've been there the food was about the worst example of English style pub grub cr@p :o . Probably the best evidence the British food bashers could come up with in support of their case. I also don't much like the decor, too gloomy and depressing.

In fact I don't go for most of the Jamesons/Delaneys/Rosie O'Gradies style of bar cum restaurant. Fancy menu descriptions that somehow just never get transformed into reality on the plate.

percy2, the Blue Parrot used to be a reasonable place for Tex Mex back in the '90s but since the change of ownership, can't remember when but a while back maybe around 2000, went downhill. Don't know what is is like these days but the last time I ate there, around '04, it wasn't much to write home about.

Can't say I like Fuji that much either, overpriced tasteless microportions. A lot of my Thai work colleagues like it though so I usually end up going there to please them.

The Spaghetti Factory, corner of soi Post Office (13/2), used to dish up the best pizzas in town but, like so many places, has gone right downhill.

My big problem when I'm back in Pattaya is that most of my favourite Thai eating places have been either bulldozed to make way for another <deleted> condo project or have shut up shop and relocated. So next visit, 3 weeks and counting, I have pledged to hunt out some new ones preferrably the scruffy, family run, establishments.

Too true phil,.i give them brit type pub places a miss, i came over here to get away from them ! however i have to say that the pig and whistles fish and chips are superb if i do lose my memory now and again and fancy a stomach submarine/bum plug,. please try that Jits i mentioned in jomtien, if you arent equally pleased ill pay !. ps ,i have no connection to it just a very satisfied customer ( many times )

jit(and neville) live 2 houses down from me at soi dodee(off third road.

never been before but will tell her that,overall,the thai food is good but farang food not so good.am i right in thinking that,as i have never been before.

as an afterthought,my next door neighbour,lasse and dang(lassee is the guy),own the globetrotter,off soi 7,pattaya.now that is the best fresh pizza i have tried,espexially since it was free lol.been there once and the food was good,and a good menu too.

so if anybody goes,say stokie john,pn and tao from next door told you to go,may get another freebie heheheheheh.take care boys and girls.

Bad. Kiss Second Road. Two visits two lots of dysentery. Good if you want to lose a week and 10 kilos bad otherwise.

Bad. Crazy Dave's. Dysentery central plus the joy of the no teeth crowd for ambiance.

Good. Spaghetti Bobs. Half way up the hill between Pattaya and Jomtien used to have a big white sign outside saying Spaghetti 80 baht (now 90 baht). Hence the nickname. Don't know the real name but the BEST Italian food in Town and stupid cheap prices. Plus they own the Thai food joint next door so you can feast on hand made ravoili whilst Tilac swallows that Isaan muck.

Good. Manhattans. The French place (despite the name). Second Road by the market exit from Walking Street. Does a mean shish kebab which is weird for a French place with an American name but there you go.

Good. Pie shop between Soi 7 and Soi 8 on Beach Road. You can sit and order and eat in the bar next door. Terrific pies.

What happened? Simon the Pieman Soi 5 Jomtien. Used to do the best British 'grub' in town. Now awful. May have changed hands?

good places only as I would be here all day naming bad ones....the little wonder cafe in the diana complex off 2nd road oppostie mikes, good farang grub, does pie n mash with liquor(for the southern brits)that equals a lot of what is on offer in the U.K these days if not better!

lobster pot walking street, never had a bad meal in there...well worth a treat and is impressive for people who are first timers! excellent ambience and the irish coffees are superb!

can't see what peoples problems are with fuji, i've never had any :o especially for the price!

more is good infront of the marriot and from the way it is set out I did expect it to be expensive...

still if your struggling theres nothing like a 7-11 hotdog, a beer and make use of their tables and chairs out the front :D seems the masses drinking outside there these days don't have any complaints :D

Have to agree Neeroys is on the top of my list when on the topic of ENGLISH food and not INDIAN.. About their indian - Ive had a curry in Neeroys twice.. Was sick both times when I got back home.. However his Pies and fish and chips are lovely.. I haven't tried anything else on the menu because Im currently hooked on the pies and have one every time I go there...Meat and Potato Pie with gravy.. mmmmmmmm :o

Also, Neeroys opens at 2 , not 4.. They are open 'til 4..

Edited by Meg_ken2003

Neeroy's curries are sheit and guess what I am sure they know it. So cheap and when you taste them you will know why!

I was brave and tried Crazy Daves's once. Never again, natch.

That place on Thappraya across from Jomtien Complex, called something like NUMBER ONE. Should be renamed Number One Tourist Trap. Very boring Thai food.

Frankly, almost all the sit down beach restaurants on Jomtien Beach road until you go much further south are tourist traps. Locals have to slum it a bit to get to the better grub.

Edited by Jingthing

jit(and neville) live 2 houses down from me at soi dodee(off third road.

never been before but will tell her that,overall,the thai food is good but farang food not so good.am i right in thinking that,as i have never been before.

as an afterthought,my next door neighbour,lasse and dang(lassee is the guy),own the globetrotter,off soi 7,pattaya.now that is the best fresh pizza i have tried,espexially since it was free lol.been there once and the food was good,and a good menu too.

so if anybody goes,say stokie john,pn and tao from next door told you to go,may get another freebie heheheheheh.take care boys and girls.

Yeah. I think the Thai food is better there. Give Jit's a go for Thai food. They are humble and worthy.

Edited by Jingthing

I think Mantra comes to mind talking about high prices and bad food...plus all the farang restaurants on the beach of Jomtien that I visit had very average food and service and high prices. For good French food go to Au Bon Coin, that not long ago moved to Pratamnak road between sois 5 and 6. Plus for good steak it is some Swiss place inside soi Diamond, I forgot the name.

Frankly, almost all the sit down beach restaurants on Jomtien Beach road until you go much further south are tourist traps. Locals have to slum it a bit to get to the better grub.

Not quite on beach road.

How about Flamboyant?

The proprietor/chef is an outrageous fruit, but dam_n the foods good.

Cheers

I meant the beach road places, there are some OK places in Jomtien Complex. Flamboyant is good? Never tried it. The place does appear extra frou frou and tres gay, and even though I myself am a total homo though I look like Fred Flinstone, I don't like to mix food with camp culture. I also noticed they do that old style retro "California cuisine" gimmick of serving tiny precious tarted up portions on plates the size of Barbara Streisand's nose. I do have standards, but if you say the food is good, maybe I can make an exception.

Edited by Jingthing

Not quite on beach road.

How about Flamboyant?

The proprietor/chef is an outrageous fruit, but dam_n the foods good.

Cheers

Where is Flamboyant located exactly?

I meant the beach road places, there are some OK places in Jomtien Complex. Flamboyant is good? Never tried it. The place does appear extra frou frou and tres gay, and even though I myself am a total homo though I look like Fred Flinstone, I don't like to mix food with camp culture. I also noticed they do that old style retro "California cuisine" gimmick of serving tiny precious tarted up portions on plates the size of Barbara Streisand's nose. I do have standards, but if you say the food is good, maybe I can make an exception.

You can be Fred I'll be Barney. Unless that's some obscure gay terminology I'm not aware of.

The Chef is as queer as a coot, he employs very "pretty" waiters.

The plates are large and white , the apparent size of the servings is accordingly small.

The taste is remarkable.

Take advantage of the Spanish wines on the wine list, but don't ask the chef about Barcelona.

I'm from a mining town in Yorkshire, If anybody stands a chance of being homophobic its me.

But good food is good food. I'd take my Grandmother there , but maybe not my Grandad :o

She who shouts loudest thought it was fantastic and couldn't understand the cold sweat on my brow during our first meal there.

Give it a go. Its worth it.

Cheers

I re read your post and realized I had mis read it.

But I think my post still is worthwhile.

Cheers

PS If anybody has any lingering doubts I'm not chatting up Jingthing and am comfortable enough in my sexuality to do the Michael Caine walk!

I wouldnt call my self small eater and i consider the portions sufficent at worst, we eat there almost everyday and can honestly say the food is consistantly good,i think you may have a bigger appetite than most and possibly are over critical,although to be fair ive never eaten any of those farang types of dishes you mention as we prefer thai, and that is maybe where they excel,. we all have our opinions and theres mine ,.

No, I'm not a big eater...I would consider myself about average.

I eat at a lot of similarly priced restaurants, and the dishes I've been served at Jits are average size at best.

You mentioned they were big portions. I disagree with that.

The worst roast beef dinner I've ever had in Pattaya was at Rosie O'Gradys on Soi 7, Beach Road.

It was inedible. We (my GF and I) had them taken away and replaced with 2 dishes.

1. Fish n' chips - dry over cooked fish and the worst large chips I've ever had.

2. Garlic shrimp (Thai dish) - bad

I'll stick with Pig n' Whistle next door.

Thanks guys for the heads up on Mantra, I was wondering whether anyone on ThaiVisa had dared to be different. Checked out their website to find sod all hard info about the place. Looks like it's one of those nuoveau cuisine places, a blob of food surrounded by a trail of goo - waste of a clean plate IMO.

Next visit I must check out Au Bon Coin in it's new location. Been eating at Josef's restaurants since he ran the Buffalo Grill in the mid '90s on what is now third road (used to be next to the infamous Buffalo Bar). Never been disappointed with the meals, the menu fare is great but the daily specials are mostly what I go for.

Way down Jomtien Beach road just at the corner where the road takes a sharp left there was (is?) a Thai restaurant that was always busy with locals, very few tourists ever got that far and thus the food, mainly seafood, was top notch.

My favourite restaurant in Pattaya, Vientiane, was demolished to make way for that God awful monstrosity of a shopping mall that contains the new Delaneys :D . I like to travel to experience new and different cultures not to wander around western style shopping malls looking at the same cr@p that I can see in any high street in the UK. I just cannot understand why people fly halfway around the world and end up shopping, but worse, shopping in places just like they left behind.

:o

Sorry this thread is about Pattaya eateries not shopping malls.

I believe that Vientiane has opened up down Walking Street but have not yet checked it out, a job for next visit. However I tend to avoid all eateries down WS as pure tourist traps.

Sher E Punjab (?) on Beach road is another Indian restaurant that started out good but the last couple of times I went was average at best.

This is a great thread for people with an ax to grind. Different strokes for different folks for sure. There are places I think are great but other people criticize them. Some items are very good, others are marginal and some are actually quite bad. There is one place that the food is pretty good but I dislike the owner so I refuse to go in the place. Everyone has an opinion whether it is right or wrong.

I agree that Slices Pizza has really declined in recent times. Cost is 45 baht a slice.

Completely agree..was great in the begininning but now crap. But at 3 am, you don't have alot of choices...Slices, Micky D's, or BK :o

Subway sandwiches are mostly veggies and dam little meat.

Yeah, even their meat sandwiches should be called veggies! ONE thin layer of salami on them.

Crazy Dave's serves dishes that are something close to garbage.

Actually like the B65 breakfast...that's all I would ever pay for an English breakfast!

Luxor is ok if you want to pay a lot and get a little.

Luxor is quite good...always have good food and service there. Price is reasonable for quality, service, and atmosphere.

When they first opened they made 6 slices of a pizza, now they make 8 slices, i.e. slices now 20% smaller but price unchanged. I think they've also cut down on the topping but more difficult to prove.

When I order pizza, i ask them to cut it into 4 - 8 is too much to eat

(sorry, I know its an old one, but it had to be said :o )

the coupon place at Royal Garden behind Starbucks is worthy of mention

I ordered a rare steak - it had been pulverised, incinerated, and probably treated with tanning chemicals - I used it to replace the soles of my shoes! I reckon I will get another 20000 kilometres out of the new tread

the coupon place at Royal Garden behind Starbucks is worthy of mention

I ordered a rare steak - it had been pulverised, incinerated, and probably treated with tanning chemicals - I used it to replace the soles of my shoes! I reckon I will get another 20000 kilometres out of the new tread

:o:D:D