Worst Eateries Of Pattaya, Please Add To The List....

thaidiver

My favourite restaurant in Pattaya, Vientiane, was demolished to make way for that God awful monstrosity of a shopping mall that contains the new Delaneys :D . I like to travel to experience new and different cultures not to wander around western style shopping malls looking at the same cr@p that I can see in any high street in the UK. I just cannot understand why people fly halfway around the world and end up shopping, but worse, shopping in places just like they left behind.

:o

I live here , not the UK. This makes places like The Avenue a refreshing change.

Cheers

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kebabs opposite The Avenue.

Where is that guy? I haven't seen him for months.

Are you talking about the kebab guy that used to set up near the Lek Hotel on 2nd Road? If so, he has moved down 2nd Road to the corner of 2nd Road and South Pattaya Road. He also raised his prices 10 bhat.

Kebabs opposite The Avenue.

Where is that guy? I haven't seen him for months.

Are you talking about the kebab guy that used to set up near the Lek Hotel on 2nd Road? If so, he has moved down 2nd Road to the corner of 2nd Road and South Pattaya Road. He also raised his prices 10 bhat.

Thanks for that info. I've been lamenting his disappearance since December. I'll look him up at his new location.

The best pizza place is on Soi 33 Naklua, 2nd right after the Dolphin roundabout. La Grotta or something. Top but no delivery. Best delivery is Pizza Company by a mile but there have been local ones whihc were better around Jomtien but they have all gone now.

Worst curry - all of them but probably that one near Footmart at View Talay 1. Utter <deleted>. The best curry is the frozen ones from Tesco at Bt149 and a good nan bread for Bt40. All other curry places I've tried (every one when I find a new one are crap).

A La Turka for non authentic food in small portions at mega prices and the taste is barely passable on some dishes and utter <deleted> on many others.

Door 2 Door - though I sometimes persevere with it on occassions due to necessity, what the heck they do to food to make it so crap is unbelievable.

Pig and whistle has gone somewhat downhill IMHO but still good for a brekkie. The Sportsman has gone to the dogs. Flannagans in Jomtien is a good bet these days.

Vientianne on Pattaya Tai is still good.

The Vientianne on Pattaya Tai is still good.

Are you talking about the big place near Big C (just off Pattaya Tai, really)?

Is this the new location for the Vientane that was on Second Road?

Some people tell me Walking Street, some this big barn-looking place.

Not really gone looking, through lack of transport (and spending most of my time in Saudi), but likely to move to Vietnam soon and that will mean more time at home.

The Vientianne on Pattaya Tai is still good.

Are you talking about the big place near Big C (just off Pattaya Tai, really)?

Is this the new location for the Vientane that was on Second Road?

Some people tell me Walking Street, some this big barn-looking place.

Not really gone looking, through lack of transport (and spending most of my time in Saudi), but likely to move to Vietnam soon and that will mean more time at home.

The Vientiane restaurant near to Big C (South Pattaya) opened quite a while before the one on Walking Street closed.

The excellent Vientiane Restaurant on Central Road at 485/18 Moo 10, close to Big C. South Pattaya, offers a large and very impressive menu boasting International dishes from Thailand, Laos, China, Europe and of course Vietnam. Authentic dishes from frog to ostrich. However, it’s the Seafood that is predominant on the menu. Open everyday from 11:30 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.

i believe its actually on Pattaya Thai, (south pattaya road) . they catered a party at my house on Xmas day for the Thai guests. the food was good but they ripped me off on the delivery cost and changed the food prices (upwards and not on the fish market prices) from the prices we agreed a month before and i deposited them on. so as much as i hated it, and cursed them for it, i paid. what else could i do with a house full of hungry Thais on xmas day. i made them make the trip twice though to pick up the serving ware on Boxing day by purposely not being in at the agreed time, just to be infantile. i won't use them again. watch your bill.

I wouldnt call my self small eater and i consider the portions sufficent at worst, we eat there almost everyday and can honestly say the food is consistantly good,i think you may have a bigger appetite than most and possibly are over critical,although to be fair ive never eaten any of those farang types of dishes you mention as we prefer thai, and that is maybe where they excel,. we all have our opinions and theres mine ,.

No, I'm not a big eater...I would consider myself about average.

I eat at a lot of similarly priced restaurants, and the dishes I've been served at Jits are average size at best.

You mentioned they were big portions. I disagree with that.

Let me be the middle voice: I went to Jit's for the first time yesterday afternoon, and with the vague memory that the servings were on the small side, I ordered both phad thai and green curry with rice. Big mistake. Those two dishes would easily have served three people! (With two more orders for rice for the curry.) Bigger mistake: I ate it all. Ugh. The quality and quantity was well above normal, IMHO. It came to B180 with a diet coke (which was B25). I shall return, but with a friend to help consume to food or order only a single dish.

(Sorry to not be totally on-topic, but I wanted to round out the opinion of Jit's.)

At Jits, for their Thai food it depends of what dish you order and the day you order it. It isn't the most consistent restaurant but overall it is one of the gems of Jomtien. Please patronize them, when they are good and they are usually good, they are very good, and they really need the business (and they do deserve it). If you get unlucky and your first time there you are not happy, small portion, dish not matching menu, etc., this is one place that it is worth trying a second or third time, ordering different things, and most people will find their Thai food groove there. Bottom line, it really is a quirky place, but they have soul. Support them or they may go away, and that would be a real loss for the area.

Eat at Jits!

Edited by Jingthing

Guys to add to the good places, its a place called "Chilli and Sweet" on Chaya Phuek road, just 100 meters from the Sukhumvit intersection. Very well presented+good service. A bit pricey for every day, but good choice for few days a week. Huge rocket salad and chicken breast in mushroom souse+steamed rise and ice tea lemon cost me 500 baht.

At Jits, for their Thai food it depends of what dish you order and the day you order it. It isn't the most consistent restaurant but overall it is one of the gems of Jomtien. Please patronize them, when they are good and they are usually good, they are very good, and they really need the business (and they do deserve it). If you get unlucky and your first time there you are not happy, small portion, dish not matching menu, etc., this is one place that it is worth trying a second or third time, ordering different things, and most people will find their Thai food groove there. Bottom line, it really is a quirky place, but they have soul. Support them or they may go away, and that would be a real loss for the area.

Eat at Jits!

I believe it was your recommendation last year which prompted me to try Jits.

I've eaten there about 8 times with my GF, so I've seen quite a few dishes. All the Thai dishes we ordered there were average to small in size compared to similar dishes at competing restaurants. I didn't have the luck to strike a large portion of anything as some members reportedly have.

As you said they are not the most consistent restaurant, but overall I enjoy dining there.

I did also comment on the quality of the t-bone steak - it wasn't good. Perhaps I was unlucky that day, but it was so bad I wasn't game to try again.

Edited by tropo

Just to balance it out went to Fuji in Big C last night and it was excellent....never been disappointed there......good quality at a good price....always packed and for good reason.

Let me balance out your report of Fuji.

I've eaten at all 3 Fuji restaurants many times. The quality of the steak can be inconsistent and it's a waste of time to complain about it because they just don't believe you. One time my steak was tough and inedible, but my complaint fell on deaf ears. They didn't realise that I'd eaten their steaks often enough to know what to expect regarding quality.

Overall it's pretty good though.

The best pizza place is on Soi 33 Naklua, 2nd right after the Dolphin roundabout. La Grotta or something. Top but no delivery. Best delivery is Pizza Company by a mile but there have been local ones whihc were better around Jomtien but they have all gone now.

Worst curry - all of them but probably that one near Footmart at View Talay 1. Utter <deleted>. The best curry is the frozen ones from Tesco at Bt149 and a good nan bread for Bt40. All other curry places I've tried (every one when I find a new one are crap).

A La Turka for non authentic food in small portions at mega prices and the taste is barely passable on some dishes and utter <deleted> on many others.

Door 2 Door - though I sometimes persevere with it on occassions due to necessity, what the heck they do to food to make it so crap is unbelievable.

Pig and whistle has gone somewhat downhill IMHO but still good for a brekkie. The Sportsman has gone to the dogs. Flannagans in Jomtien is a good bet these days.

The draught beer in Flannagans is well priced and good quality but the food is disgusting and well over priced. I have eaten there once, never again, I wouldn't even give it to my dog

The P&W, Rosies, Queen Vic are OK but Shenanigans is poor

Vientianne on Pattaya Tai is still good.

Just to balance it out went to Fuji in Big C last night and it was excellent....never been disappointed there......good quality at a good price....always packed and for good reason.

Let me balance out your report of Fuji.

I've eaten at all 3 Fuji restaurants many times. The quality of the steak can be inconsistent and it's a waste of time to complain about it because they just don't believe you. One time my steak was tough and inedible, but my complaint fell on deaf ears. They didn't realise that I'd eaten their steaks often enough to know what to expect regarding quality.

Overall it's pretty good though.

I would suggest that Fuji is not the place to order a steak.

If you want steak go to a steak house.

I wouldnt call my self small eater and i consider the portions sufficent at worst, we eat there almost everyday and can honestly say the food is consistantly good,i think you may have a bigger appetite than most and possibly are over critical,although to be fair ive never eaten any of those farang types of dishes you mention as we prefer thai, and that is maybe where they excel,. we all have our opinions and theres mine ,.

No, I'm not a big eater...I would consider myself about average.

I eat at a lot of similarly priced restaurants, and the dishes I've been served at Jits are average size at best.

You mentioned they were big portions. I disagree with that.

Let me be the middle voice: I went to Jit's for the first time yesterday afternoon, and with the vague memory that the servings were on the small side, I ordered both phad thai and green curry with rice. Big mistake. Those two dishes would easily have served three people! (With two more orders for rice for the curry.) Bigger mistake: I ate it all. Ugh. The quality and quantity was well above normal, IMHO. It came to B180 with a diet coke (which was B25). I shall return, but with a friend to help consume to food or order only a single dish.

(Sorry to not be totally on-topic, but I wanted to round out the opinion of Jit's.)

Thanks for backing up what i said earlier, thats exactly how we find it, as for the guy said that portions are small i can only assume hes an american and rides a harley ! :o

post-41326-1202278175_thumb.jpg

Every time a restaurant topic comes up on TV, Crazy Dave's gets a slagging off :o . I've never been there but I know it's a long standing, well established place. How come he keeps going if the food is so bad? :D
it reminds me of a transport caff in england, and a poor one at that, i see the soi bakaew chain smoking vest wearing leo beer lot in there when i drive by usually, seems to suit them ok, we all need a hole,. .!

I would suggest that Fuji is not the place to order a steak.

If you want steak go to a steak house.

You misunderstood my post. The steaks at Fuji are fine most of the time and better than what you find at most steak houses.

Steak is a very important menu item at any Japanese restaurant. I'm not going to find Japanese style steak at a steak house.

Pan Pan = the worst lasgne in the world.

Thanks for the warning, but the better question is where you can get decent lasagna in Pattaya. Usually the Thai style lasagna is served with a bechamel style sauce, and/or with a sugary tomato sauce, and no ricotta cheese. Oh I forgot to mention it is usually pouring in pig grease. Yuck.

I would also warn against the Pizza Pizza lasagna version. Not the most horrible, but not good, and an appetizer sized portion.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for backing up what i said earlier, thats exactly how we find it, as for the guy said that portions are small i can only assume hes an american and rides a harley ! :o

There's no need to insult someone when they don't agree with you.

I'm the guy who said that the portions are AVERAGE to small. I already explained that I'm an average eater.

My GF weighs a massive 38kg and she has no problems getting through any of their meals. If you think the meals at JITS are big, then you must the size of a shrimp, or have an eating disorder.