Confused Over Permanent Residence

I am now retired and living in Thailand with my Thai wife and 2 girls. After 3 years here working with a work permit and with permissions for yearly stays in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa, I then retired and for the last 3 years have been granted permission for yearly stays on a retirement visa with a multiple entry non-immigrant visa (so we can visit my mum in Australia a few times each year). I was planning to apply for permanent residence at the end of this year based on the fact that I was "supporting a family" and already have the required financial requirements, marriage papers plus my yellow house registration book.

However, today I find on this forum that perhaps my years on a retirement visa will not qualify for PR. Why is this when they are "permissions for yearly stays in the Kingdom on a non-immigrant visa - exactly what the PR qualifications state. Any advice and explanation will be greatly appreciated.

There's a couple of threads detailig the PR process, try a search :D

IIRC there is a requirement to have been paying Thai tax during the qualification period, it's this that could be the stumbling block as opposed to you actually being retired, it's just that the two tend to be mutually exclusive :o

I suspect (although I have absolutely no evidence to back this up) that the Non-Immigrant 'OA' type visa for retirement was introduced after the last amendment to the PR regulations. So as the regulations don't mention 'OA' as one of the prerequisite "3-year extension" possibilities, immigration won't take applications from people with OAs.

Just a wild theory.

Your years count toward ability to apply - that is all. As said in other thread retirement based applications are not currently being approved. You can apply as family but without a tax history payment record it may not be approved - you should ask immigration for there assessment prior to application (normally December).

If you have been here on multi entry non immigrant O visa entry (90 days per visit) that will not qualify for PR. You must be here on immigration issued one year extensions of stay. It is really not clear which you have been using.

If you have been here on multi entry non immigrant O visa entry (90 days per visit) that will not qualify for PR. You must be here on immigration issued one year extensions of stay. It is really not clear which you have been using.

Thanks for the input Lopburi and everyone else. To clarify I have been here on an immigration issued one year extensions of stay. I guess that for the last 3 years on my retirement visa the fact that I have not had to pay income tax is my stumbling block...seems to be quite unfair.

As all I want to do is take care of my family without the hassles of renewing visas every year and being subject to the vagaries of the government re reirement visa requirements.

It looks to me like the laws are framed to prevent retired folk like me from ever having a permanent residence here even though it is or home, we contribute significantly to the Thai economy and do our best to look after our families.

The sad fact is that if Thailand wanted retirees here on PR it would be available.

So the 1 year renewals will continue I'm afraid.

"

I now know that you are correct re this issue. However, if I applied for PR under the "retirement" option rather than "supporting a family"option, then we should adjust the advice provided on our Thaivisa site because it does NOT mention tax requirements for the preceeding 3 years, only (and I quote) - äpplication form TM.9. Health certificate from a hospital, certification that the applicant has no criminal record in his or her overseas domicile. This must be certified officially. Official marriage and birth certificates (for accompanying family members). CERTIFICATION OF INCOME (e.g. pension), map of residence and copy of passport showing a total of 3 years travel history to Thailand.

Only certification of income that I can and do provide every year to the Thai immigration police. No mention of tax records....yes I know it seems like a lost cause but the information did give me a false sense of security.

On a final note, to try and clarify this for myself and not bother others, I have tried many times recently to visit the Thai Immigration Police internet site (www.imm.police.go.th) but it seems to be unavailable now. Any others had this experience? Thanks again for the help...and yes I will just keep applying every year, although from Si Sa Ket this is not that convenient.