The Best Of Chiang Mai’s Nightlife

mobs00

....or hotdogs

So I feel I have pigged out on enough hamburgers in the CM forum, so how about something a bit more useful.

We have covered the best bars/pubs in CM, the best restaurants and of course, the best hamburgers. What about the best nightlife spots, karaoke joints, gogo bars, etc.? More of the “Hi, how are you darling?” spots here.

I’ve noticed during the last 2 years a lot has changed in the “underbelly” of Chiang Mai. I have been known to occasionally be seen at said establishments, but the ones I used to go to, like the kickboxing bars have all but taken a huge downward spiral. Nothing wrong with lady boys, but they already have a complex near what used to be the Peak climbing wall.

It would be great to get some up to date recommendations on places that are now popular.

Edited by Crow Boy
change of thread title by OP request

I have found that Jammer’s Delight on the corner of Loi Kroh is good. They don’t hassle you much and the drinks are fair priced, plus you can sit and watch what is happening down the rest of the road.

And a bit later on Lucky Bar is good and open late.

If I am looking for an evening out with the boys, we usually head for Spotlight, however, from what I have heard, Foxy Lady seems to be a more happening spot. :o

FL is not on my list UG. I've heard the manager is a bit of a jerk.

If the girls in a night spot are gorgeous, I can be quite forgiving about the managers personality traits! :D

Guitarman (Loi Khro Rd) for great blues/ rock music, great hamburgers, pizza etc...

Tawan Daeng (Nimmenhemin soi something) for great mor lam Thai/ Lao style music with a twist of Carabao..and pretty good Thai / Lao food...

Both fun nights out.. :o

Edited by Austhaied

I second the "v" club. A nice homely evening full of quaint conversation. Manager is a nice enough lass and willing to work with you on matters.

Where's another version of the "v" club in our fair city?

I guess the main reason I am trying to find other recommendations is because I am part of the local Hash House Harriers and we are looking for some new venues to go after a run.

Not all Loi Kroh and the like, but what about some Thai bars that have cute waitresses to talk to? The restaurant/bar called "Virgin" comes to mind. They have plenty of pretty beer girls serving all types of refreshments. It is located just over the northern most bridge over the Ping river heading towards the bus station.

In the latest edition of the "Chiang Mai Mail" in the "Living in Chiang Mai" column they write about Tawan Daeng. Read it yourself.

A lot of people tell me about the legendary bar called "The Thirsty Beaver" . I haven't been there yet.

Concerning the hash house carriers, there is a place, which says they are a the official h.h.c place. It's at the corner Moon Muang Soi 2.

In the latest edition of the "Chiang Mai Mail" in the "Living in Chiang Mai" column they write about Tawan Daeng. Read it yourself.

A lot of people tell me about the legendary bar called "The Thirsty Beaver" . I haven't been there yet.

Concerning the hash house carriers, there is a place, which says they are a the official h.h.c place. It's at the corner Moon Muang Soi 2.

The Thirst Beaver was great about 5 or 6 years ago; but like others, has really faded away.

That would be the Hash Pub and is the pickup point for some of the runs. The way it works is we go out to a pre determined spot outside of the city and run along trails that are marked out beforehand by the trail master for that day. After we drink a few beers, have a few laughs and then head back into the city to finish the night up at one of the bars in town. We have our normal watering holes but I was just wondering if anything new opened up or anyone had any suggestions. If people are a bit reluctant to give up their favorite spot, I totally understand. I have a few spots I don't let anyone else know about also...

Edited by mobs00

n the latest edition of the "Chiang Mai Mail" in the "Living in Chiang Mai" column they write about Tawan Daeng. Read it yourself.

A legendary dump!

Edited by swain

These days, the beavers are more known for their massages than the bar services. I have several that come by and do messages in my swank, bachelors apartment. :o

These days, the beavers are more known for their massages than the bar services. I have several that come by and do messages in my swank, bachelors apartment. :o

wasn't it known as the legendary Bunny Club?

• 1 month later...
We have covered the best bars/pubs in CM, the best restaurants and of course, the best hamburgers. What about the best nightlife spots, karaoke joints, gogo bars, etc.? More of the "Hi, how are you darling?" spots here.

It would be great to get some up to date recommendations on places that are now popular.

I think it's a pretty dire situation in the area you describe. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty happening places in the university area, Huay Kaew / Nimanhemin, but that's not what you're after, and also not what most Western tourists would be after.

I find it hard for myself to say if the tourist nightlife scene is really dying, or that I'm getting jaded with it, or that it is getting jaded with me. I do know that every time I go to just about any Thai town you care to mention, like Khon Kaen, Udon, Surin and of course the more established spots like Phuket & Samui, that I'm having a TOTAL blast. Fun bars, lots of people to talk to.

But Chiang Mai it seems... dead. Or comatose at the very least.

Are there just too many bars, so that each individual one isn't getting any kind of crowd in (or even staff in) ?

In conclusion let me state I have no interest in prostitution. But I do like the tourist bars of the Loi Kroa type. The expensive expat bars I understand even less.. like Brit/Irish pubs or Tuskers.. what's the point going there? (except for food, possibly). Note that I have little inclination to watch expats.. I like the hustle & bustle of the tourist bars. But they're... dying.

Edited by Jefferson

snip.........I do like the tourist bars of the Loi Kroa type. The expensive expat bars I understand even less.. like Brit/Irish pubs or Tuskers.. what's the point going there? (except for food, possibly). Note that I have little inclination to watch expats.. I like the hustle & bustle of the tourist bars. But they're... dying.

Sad but true - I like nothing better than having a few beers whilst watching the world go past. A bite to eat and chat with friends old or new is a very pleasant way to while away the time :o