Do You Pay Extortion Fee To True For Epl/cl ?

thairookie

I'm on a tourist VISA and intend to stay long term in Thailand via various means including VISA runs and ED VISA if necessary.

I've approached TRUE to subscribe to Truesports program, in particular Truesport 5. I'm told that even though I don't have a Work Permit (WP) all that is required is a passport. However, in order to catch the weekly EPL games I need to subscribe to the Gold Package, which is pretty costly at about 1,500 baht per month. It's an even greater waste because I don't watch the rest of the programs.

Now TRUE has a special package - True Move. If you subscribe to the True Move mobile phone package, you can that pay about 300 baht just for Truesports 5. That is a pretty good deal. The catch here is this : You need a WP to subscribe to True Move mobile phone. So INDIRECTLY you're forced to sign up Gold Package if you're a EPL fan (and if you don't have a WP).

I wonder if anyone has managed to circumvent the rules, or did the staff at True bull me ?

I'm on a tourist VISA and intend to stay long term in Thailand via various means including VISA runs and ED VISA if necessary.

I've approached TRUE to subscribe to Truesports program, in particular Truesport 5. I'm told that even though I don't have a Work Permit (WP) all that is required is a passport. However, in order to catch the weekly EPL games I need to subscribe to the Gold Package, which is pretty costly at about 1,500 baht per month. It's an even greater waste because I don't watch the rest of the programs.

Now TRUE has a special package - True Move. If you subscribe to the True Move mobile phone package, you can that pay about 300 baht just for Truesports 5. That is a pretty good deal. The catch here is this : You need a WP to subscribe to True Move mobile phone. So INDIRECTLY you're forced to sign up Gold Package if you're a EPL fan (and if you don't have a WP).

I wonder if anyone has managed to circumvent the rules, or did the staff at True bull me ?

If you are intending to stay long term in Thialand, then you shouls\d maybe have a look at changing your Visa status. One thing that you can certainly do is get the True mobile package put in a Thai nationals name, which is probably the easiest way of circumventing it.

To be honest, I wasn't aware pf the WP rule, but wouldn't suprise me in the least.

I pay 1,500 per month, and although the Gold package is far from perfect (mainly shit movie re-runs and WWE) the coverage for EPL is very good, ableit presented in a very amature format.I would'nt say it's extortion though, although not the best value for money. If you love watching EPL, then you have very little choice but to go out and pay the full whack, afterall 1,500 isn't a lot of money.

(mainly movie re-runs and WWE)

Eh !!! Nothing wrong with WWE....the chavess loves it :o

Have a look around for alternative EPL source.......seek & you shall find :D

The full package is just over 2,000 Baht. For that you get every EPL game live.

If your team plays in the EPL then I think this is good value as I can see every West Ham (my team) game live. Something I could not do in England.

However as Mr Toad said the rest of it is a load of rubbish. If not for the football I would not bother with it.

Eh !!! Nothing wrong with WWE....the chavess loves it :o

Have a look around for alternative EPL source.......seek & you shall find :D

Do you know where they sell satelite dish that can capture EPL matches ?

I'm not referring to Samart type of satelite. It has only 9 channels.

If you are intending to stay long term in Thialand, then you shouls\d maybe have a look at changing your Visa status. One thing that you can certainly do is get the True mobile package put in a Thai nationals name, which is probably the easiest way of circumventing it.

I survive on rental of my 2 condominium units in BKK. I don't have a company, and you know about the 2 million baht paid up capital for a WP etc. So unless you know something which I don't, it's really far fetched at this moment for me to be thinking of changing my VISA status.

afterall 1,500 isn't a lot of money.

It's relative, I suppose.

I survive on rental of my 2 condominium units in BKK. I don't have a company, and you know about the 2 million baht paid up capital for a WP etc. So unless you know something which I don't, it's really far fetched at this moment for me to be thinking of changing my VISA status.

TR, I hope that you didn't take offence to what I posted, but as you have cleared up the situation, you may well look at doing what I suggested. I'm sure that you know a few Thai nationals, so you can easily just register the True Mobile Package in their name. Other than, as you said with regards to Visa's then I understand the situation quite clearly, although there are of course ways to also circumvent the paid up capital issue.

Price wise, 1,500 is not a massive amount, but I also stated that I did not think that it was that good value, although still I save money, by not going out every weekend to watch it in a bar. :o

There are a couple of guys here who also use their PC to watch games, but I really couldn't say how good it is and also how reliable. I'll try and see if I can find the thread about it, as I do recall there was something posted a while back.

Hope you get it sorted.

We got True a couple of weeks ago. There isn't really much choice, and the technology and quality isn't great, but it's watchable. Much better than the first black and white TV we had when I was a kid, so again relative. :o

Gold package at THB 1,500 a month seems to get most of the coverage I want for sport, tho' we haven't really had it for long enough to prove that yet.

The other channels in my view aren't that great, but have occasional things to watch. The odd movie is OK. I like the English news programmes, and Bloomberg, CNBC, CNN, BBC World in small doses in a morning, and evening.

Price is again relative, and not that expensive in my view. If I compare it to the (monthly) price of a season ticket in the UK, plus the cost of a television licence, (whatever that is these days), it's not too bad at around GBP25 a month. Also it's very easy to spend that on a single night out watching football, if you don't have cable. Particularly when Mr.Toad leads you astray.

People have complained about TV in the UK for years as well. When I was little, it was all the repeats repeats. Then cost of a TV licence. Then when cable/satellite came in people said it was expensive, and loads of crap on the various channels. Same story really.

Just focus on the positives... :D

Edited by fletchsmile

TR, I hope that you didn't take offence to what I posted, but as you have cleared up the situation, you may well look at doing what I suggested. I'm sure that you know a few Thai nationals, so you can easily just register the True Mobile Package in their name. Other than, as you said with regards to Visa's then I understand the situation quite clearly, although there are of course ways to also circumvent the paid up capital issue.

Price wise, 1,500 is not a massive amount, but I also stated that I did not think that it was that good value, although still I save money, by not going out every weekend to watch it in a bar. :o

There are a couple of guys here who also use their PC to watch games, but I really couldn't say how good it is and also how reliable. I'll try and see if I can find the thread about it, as I do recall there was something posted a while back.

Hope you get it sorted.

Of course I'm not offended :D

I've a feeling that the UBC area manager is just trying to get me to sign up Gold Package. Well, lets just say my condos are not in the middle of Sukhumvit, so 1,500 per month is still a little expensive. I've been taking buses and boats to save costs. I've been to the True service counters at Fortune Ratchada, but the staff aren't really familiar with the requirements. I've mobile shops telling me that I can sign up True Move with just a passport. So I'm looking at ways to circumvent it. I don't want to fake a tenancy agreement even if I can get a Thai to sign up True Move on my behalf. But as someone has just pointed out, the package that goes with True Move may not be sufficient for me to catch the important games.

I've come across this advertisement on Bangkok Post www.jsat.tv and I'm wondering if I can watch EPL and CL with the set top box and dish. Will check with them.