Complete Bathroom Make-over

youngkiwi

I'm looking to do a complete bathroom renovation, including new tiling, building of custom shower, new vanities with granite surface, etc. All in all, looking for a top class job and finish.

I would be interested to hear of recommendations for any bathroom designers in Bangkok, or perhaps some recommended showrooms which can handle the supply and renovation from start to finish? Are there any turn-key providers who can handle the design and fulfilment for this type of project?

Homepro, Homework and Boonthavorn DIY shops have inhouse designers, materials and labor. Don't expect sophisticated design work and you need to check on the quality of work, but for just one bathroom you will find it hard to find a independent designer interested. Use the previously suggested magazines to explain them what you are looking for.

• 2 months later...

We LOVE the little Thai man that did our bathroom tiling and entire apartment floor. He did it with his wife as his helper - so careful the 2 of them - what a team!! They worked so hard.

He was brought to us by our contractor but we were so impressed with him and will hire him independently of that contractor for any future work needed at other investments. He is so reliable and does a very fussy job on his own without needing supervision too much.

He doesn't speak English though but he's fab! His mobile is: 0840160839 and we forgot his name.

If you need help, please contact me via this site. I would like to attach photo but cannot figure how to do it.

Regards,

KondoKitty

• 1 month later...
I'm looking to do a complete bathroom renovation, including new tiling, building of custom shower, new vanities with granite surface, etc. All in all, looking for a top class job and finish.

I would be interested to hear of recommendations for any bathroom designers in Bangkok, or perhaps some recommended showrooms which can handle the supply and renovation from start to finish? Are there any turn-key providers who can handle the design and fulfilment for this type of project?

Im looking to do the same, not just yet, saw these boys advertised www.bangkokhomeservice.com however have no knowledge of their prices or how good they are

I'm looking to do a complete bathroom renovation, including new tiling,

have you ever thought of NOT tiling the walls in your bathrooms? i have not [wall]tiled any bathroom in the 4 homes i built during the last 20 years and i associate a bathroom with wall tiles with a slaughter house.

take a look at these bathrooms:

post-35218-1212640423_thumb.jpg

post-35218-1212640455_thumb.jpg

post-35218-1212640475.jpg

• 2 months later...

have you ever thought of NOT tiling the walls in your bathrooms? i have not [wall]tiled any bathroom in the 4 homes i built during the last 20 years and i associate a bathroom with wall tiles with a slaughter house.

Naam were these bathrooms in Thailand? Most of my bathrooms in the states were not tiled. We are renovating a house here for resale and it seems very unThai not to tile. We have put in a guest bath or powder room downstairs, it will have only a toilet and sink so I am thinking there is no need for tile. What do you think the buyers reaction would be? I have 7 bathrooms to decorate, that is a lot of tile!!!

Naam were these bathrooms in Thailand? Most of my bathrooms in the states were not tiled. We are renovating a house here for resale and it seems very unThai not to tile. We have put in a guest bath or powder room downstairs, it will have only a toilet and sink so I am thinking there is no need for tile. What do you think the buyers reaction would be? I have 7 bathrooms to decorate, that is a lot of tile!!!

yes they are. and guess from where i got the idea not to tile my bathrooms? had my first (elCheapo) house built in Florida 1989. bought land, signed a contract and returned 4 months later to have a look at the house. Mrs Naam was horrified when she realized that the bathrooms were not tiled and made a big fuss. we had just remodeled our house in Germany and she was proud of her new marble bathroom. a couple of months later we returned to Germany and having a shower i looked around at the beauti-<deleted>-full freaking expensive ceiling high tiled walls. the thought what crossed my mind was SLAUGHTERHOUSE! :o

a few years later we built a "real" home with none of the bathrooms tiled. in the meantime the Mrs changed her mind and she likes untiled walls as well.

i am however not sure what a buyer of the house you want to remodel and sell will think.

Youngkiwi,

you should contact Naam & ask who his contractor was.

I have seen his house & his work done is incredible.....to die for.

In fact I have not seen any house built even close to his. His casa makes the Westin hotel chain look like it needs a remodel.

In Thailand your most assuredly not going to get that perfect western style job but his work is exceptional imho!

And I would really avoid the Thai tiling in the bathroom, not only does it look tacky(used to hide all the imperfections) but as your cement cures your tile may crack as the walls settle within the first year a s did our very small interim house we built.

I will be doing similar to Naams house with stucco finish in & outside with the color coat in the stucco already.

Besides if the job is done right you won't need to hide the work with tile. Since you will spend a good portion of your time in your bathroom or bathrooms I would go all out & spend the extra baht..it is so worth it. the next part of our project is a 2000 sq, foot house (or more) & most of the funds are going into the bathroom & kitchen. if you go cheaper on the counters like a homeworks bathroom sink counters you get to look at the agony of defeat instead of a nice marble or granite top. I regret when we built our starter house while we setup plans for the real house I didn't make the bathroom & kitchen a lot larger & deck it out. Instead of looking at a quickly thrown together job that I hate looking at.

If you got the funds go with class. remember your worth it!

And yes I will be talking to Naam myself as soon as we sell one of our 3 rai so we can start our dream home as his house is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

PS. I hadn't realized there is an expo going on in BKK. An excellent place to browse for your bathroom & probably find leads to contractors in your area as well.

Good luck!

Edited by Beardog