Help With Abducted Child Issues, Please

SadDad

My wife abducted our daughter (age-10), and fled to Thailand where we have a house.

The wife does not allow contact as she continues to try to extort large sums of money.

When I was last able to speak with girl she reported Mom's abusive and she desperately wants to return to living with Dad in a foreign country. I don't care about property nor other divorce issues. Wife has control of Thai passport. Have sorted out critical legal issues abroad, but now face task of gaining custody in Thailand. What does one have to do to get an entry stamp in a new passport, for a minor child to depart Thailand without the evil Mother's permission?

Those who wish to question veracity (of post), criticize, or belittle should move along.

The obvious starting point would be to engage a good Thai lawyer, ask among your friends here who they recommend, also if you can get hold of your daughters birth certificate you can add her to your passport valid until she reaches 16. Assuming she holds dual nationality and you can get her on your passport then a quiet departure during a school day should not prove too difficult. In other words. book the flight, tell no one then pick her up and leave the country. Apart from that I think its the lawyer avenue which could be drawn out and costly.

You cannot add a child to a passport for many years now so don't waste time down that route. You state that the wife has the child's Thai passport which she presumably used to gain access to Thailand. However, where is the British (or other foreign) passport ?

Here's something I found http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/c...ountry_528.html

Parental Kidnapping is not a crime in Thailand and Thai authorities will not issue a warrant or become involved should one parent take a child without the other parent's authorization. The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction cannot be invoked if a child is taken from the United States to Thailand, or vice versa, by one parent against the wishes of the other parent or in violation of a U.S. custody order.

If you have the British passport, then it would not have an entry stamp for Thailand so you'd have problems at immigration. However, if you think about where you can get legitimate entry stamps this may be overcome. You'll have to work it out.

Thank you for your thoughtful replies.

The essential question is this:

What does one have to do to get an entry stamp in a new passport, for a minor child to depart Thailand without the evil Mother's permission?

Someone can advise if this will work, as I am not familar with how detailed and traceable the records are for visitors entering Thailand.

You make a copy of the passport and then report it missing. Take the copy and a police report to the British emabsssy and apply for a replacement.

Take the replaced passport to immigration, explain what happened and get a stamp put in it, so that she can leave Thailand.

You may need to have your daughter with you when doing this.

Probably a stupid idea, but it might work.

Thanks Mobi, After reviewing Thai Immigration sources my thoughts are similar to your suggestion.

So, the essential question remains the same as my last post.

Suggestions the evil mother needs to be involved should know this person is wanted abroad for; child abduction, grand larceny, fraud, and filing false reports with authorities. ...and I know, Thai police don't much care about that, as there is no gain in it for them to nab a fellow Thai. Family, while very sympathetic, are unwilling to get involved due to fear of retaliation.

Been told "you can't do that" my whole life---and yet found ways to get it done. There are always other options.

In my family we do not leave loved ones behind...

What does one have to do to get an entry stamp in a new passport, for a minor child to depart Thailand without the evil Mother's permission?

------------------

I don't know the answer but I am sorry to hear that you and your child are suffering this way.

Good Luck... :o

Why do you need a stamp anyway, a newly issued passport in this country will not have a stamp in it and you can travel on it.

The child is thai, so arrived here on thais passport, so there is no overstay issue to deal with.

Just get a new british passport and depart.

Please try to resolve with the ex-wife first. And please try hard!! I went through the same shit when I was a Kid..12 year old. It leave a permanent marker on your daughters brain.

Looking back I wish that My mother never taken me but instead would have found pease with my father as friends. That way I would have had both parents.

However, each situation is different.

fairly clear I would think - ignoring your quite understandable rhetoric about child abduction etc which I don't think you can demonstrate and is a somewhat emotional argument, I would instead consider a custody battle, and secure custody in a Thai court of law.

This is what one farang i know has done.

He had proof of infidelity and showed inability of the spouse to provide care financially, so the courts sided with him.

Following from there, it would, I woudl think, be quite easy to then enforce.

In his case, i heard from both sides, and now that the kids are shipped off to a boarding school away from both parents, I don't think that either were fit to be parents, but there you have it.

Was your child born in Thailand? Was the non-Thai passport issued in Thailand? If so, how would they ever know that she left the country. It would be just as if you had a child in Thailand and they got a foreign passport and were leaving Thailand for the first time.

fairly clear I would think - ignoring your quite understandable rhetoric about child abduction etc which I don't think you can demonstrate and is a somewhat emotional argument, I would instead consider a custody battle, and secure custody in a Thai court of law.

This is what one farang i know has done.

He had proof of infidelity and showed inability of the spouse to provide care financially, so the courts sided with him.

Following from there, it would, I woudl think, be quite easy to then enforce.

In his case, i heard from both sides, and now that the kids are shipped off to a boarding school away from both parents, I don't think that either were fit to be parents, but there you have it.

I have heard of people getting custody, but they were living in Thailand. I wonder if they would have same chances if they were not living in Thailand and wanted to remove the children from Thailand?

Don't know if this will work, so please don't jump on me for the suggestion. You say your child has both a Thai and British passport, why not take her to one of the neighboring countries that do not need passports for Thai citizens (Laos maybe). Then using her British passport, apply for a Thai visa at the embassy in Laos. Return to Thailand and let her get stamped into Thailand on her British passport. From there sneak her out on the next available flight.