Thinking Of Taking The Plunge

DavidS

Having been in and out of Thailand for a long time, I do speak enough Thai to give directions to a taxi driver.

Now looking at spending much more time here, I recognise that this very low level of competence is holding me back from living a fuller life here. Yes, I could surround myself with Engish speaking people, in which case why bother being here?

I am pretty hesitant about starting because I do not have a talent for languages. Anything other than my mother tongue, English, has been a miserable experience. Now looking at the Thai alphabet and tones etc, I must confess to being rather intimidated. I even had to look up the dictionary to know what a consonant is - I simply never learned English that way, hence I am clueless.

I think that if I approach the language as a child does, it would be natural? Learn to speak, then read and write? Is this the best way for an adult learner?

I have looked through previous threads, and see a lot of discussion about resources, which I have duly noted.

Can anyone else out there (linguistically challenged like me) who has been through the same thing offer me advice?

Having been in and out of Thailand for a long time, I do speak enough Thai to give directions to a taxi driver.

Now looking at spending much more time here, I recognise that this very low level of competence is holding me back from living a fuller life here. Yes, I could surround myself with Engish speaking people, in which case why bother being here?

I am pretty hesitant about starting because I do not have a talent for languages. Anything other than my mother tongue, English, has been a miserable experience. Now looking at the Thai alphabet and tones etc, I must confess to being rather intimidated. I even had to look up the dictionary to know what a consonant is - I simply never learned English that way, hence I am clueless.

I think that if I approach the language as a child does, it would be natural? Learn to speak, then read and write? Is this the best way for an adult learner?

I have looked through previous threads, and see a lot of discussion about resources, which I have duly noted.

Can anyone else out there (linguistically challenged like me) who has been through the same thing offer me advice?

well, after about the age of 12 or so (just to pick an arbitrary number), we're all relatively hopeless at languages but if you give yourself time and slowly chip away at it you will definitely make progress in thai - and be rewarded with the kind of improvement in lifestyle you have mentioned.

nobody really learns English as their native language by learning grammar, phonetics and the rest, so you shouldn't feel as if you're starting behind the field here. however, if you can keep an open mind about learning a bit more about your own language - as you have done by looking up 'consonant' - this may well come in handy in your quest as well.

as for thai, if you could get yourself into a kids' class and learn with them, no doubt it would help. in practice, you'll probably be learning from all sorts of sources at all sorts of levels at the same time (eg. textbooks, songs, tv, cartoons, conversations, dictionaries etc). if you can find something you particularly like, all the better.

i think that with respect to language learning, you have to view it as a never-ending pursuit. start out with a modest plan, see what works for you, tweak it, enjoy yourself and - most importantly - just keep going.

all the best.

Edited by aanon

go for it.

i consider myself linguistically challenged as you put it , but a few years ago i started to learn in earnest and can now read a newspaper ( with the help of a dictionary) and handle most if not all of the situations i meet in thai.

its not always perfect thai , but i can make myself understood and that surely is the purpose of learning the language , to make oneself understood.

my knowledge and ability is improving all the time and the more i learn the more i want to learn.

i dont think there will ever be a time when i will say " i can speak thai now" and stop learning , the more i learn just reinforces how much there is that i dont know.

the alphabet and tones are not as confusing as they may seem at first and there are many schools that will start you off.

i would say that learning the alphabet and how to read is essential , learning from phonetic transliterations might be helpful for the first few lessons , but if you are able to speak enough to instruct a taxi driver , then i would say that its time to learn reading along with learning conversation , sentence structure and vocabulary.

it will make life here much easier , more interesting and more rewarding.

yeap go for it as soon as possible if you have time for it.

After five years of studying alone with books, tapes recording and dictionnaries i manage now to make myself understood but...it is still difficult to understand.

It depends with who i am talking with !!!!! :o

Gentlemen, thank you for the pragmatic insights you have shared with me. I have reflected on all that you have said, and I think the salient point is to persevere with this and the rewards will follow.

Researchers increasingly say that when it comes to the brain, it is very much a matter of "use it or lose it", hence you see people taking up sudoku and so on to keep the mind active.

Learning a new language will do the same I reckon, except that the rewards will be much more tangible, as you have noted.

So here goes. I intend to take the easier route (I think) and enroll in a language school, supplementing this with CDs and books.

Hopefully, I will be able to come back in due course with positive reports of progress.

David,

It looks like you live in Bangkok. If so, you are lucky because you can probably find a good intermediate Thai course somewhere. Nothing works better for increasing vocabulary than a structured class where you study on your own too. It is all about vocabulary, and hearing people using it. I have been taping radio programs for a few minutes, and then asking a Thai to write the words for me. The language is coming pretty slowly, but I do feel like I am making progress.

Good luck. It definately helps you have a fuller life here. Chok Dee!

Now looking at the Thai alphabet and tones etc, I must confess to being rather intimidated.

And you should be! I know I was, but it's really nothing to worry about. It isin't as intimidating as it looks. Just don't give up, and yes chip away slowly. I've been going about 4 months now with a private teacher, and can read, a little, ok well I"m saying go go ga ga, but I can still read, and I can't believe I'm doing it.

Patience, Patience, Patience, and Go slowly, too much too fast will only put you off, and make you feel un succesful.

While you're learning, if you feel like you're not making any progress, look back at where you came from.

Lithobid

:o

may i advise "pimsleur" -> check on google

way of learning Thai by repeating what you hear, over and over again

30 lessons of 30 minutes

may i advise "pimsleur" -> check on google

way of learning Thai by repeating what you hear, over and over again

30 lessons of 30 minutes

Noted with thanks!