Car Over 10 Years Old...

thaihedgehog

Just wondering about the type of insurance i can get for my car, it's 11 years old and i've been told that i can't get first class insurance for it!! is that true?? why ?? which is the next best insurance ?? cheers

Looks like your informers are misinformed.  I have a 1989 Toyota 4-door 2 wheel drive pickup, some 349,000 km on the clock, and a 1996 Toyota HiAce van, 150,000 km, both with 1st class insurance.  Indeed, on the pickup, the insurance coverage at baht 120,000  is perhaps worth more than the machine itself.  I hang on to it as a trash hauler, very handy, and even handier when the wife wants to take the van out for a day or three, I can still get around.  Last month did another run up to Nong Khai and back, from the Rangsit area, no problems.

Mac

• 3 weeks later...

Understand from a Thai friend that has now owned his car for over 10yrs [bought new] that you can get a type of 1st class, cost 7,000 baht yr, but only covers your car for 100,000 baht.

There are many Companies here in Thailand, ask around

Understand from a Thai friend that has now owned his car for over 10yrs [bought new] that you can get a type of 1st class, cost 7,000 baht yr, but only covers your car for 100,000 baht.

This is a standard insurance known as (example) 2 + 1. It is not 1st Class but it does cover more than the (example) 2nd Class (2ne Class = 3rd party, Fire and Theft). In this instant it will also cover you for 100,000 Baht of damage to your vehicle if you are in an accident with another vehicle.

This is a standard insurance known as (example) 2 + 1. It is not 1st Class but it does cover more than the (example) 2nd Class (2ne Class = 3rd party, Fire and Theft). In this instant it will also cover you for 100,000 Baht of damage to your vehicle if you are in an accident with another vehicle.

If class 1 insurance is the same as fully comprehensive cover and class 2 is the same as third party, fire and theft cover what is class 3 insurance?

A friend of mine has just been told that because of the age of their pick up (11 years old) they can't have class 1 or 2 but can have class 3 insurance.

If class 1 insurance is the same as fully comprehensive cover and class 2 is the same as third party, fire and theft cover what is class 3 insurance?

A friend of mine has just been told that because of the age of their pick up (11 years old) they can't have class 1 or 2 but can have class 3 insurance.

Class 3 insurance = 3rd Party only

Class 3 insurance = 3rd Party only

Is it real 3rd party though? Is this what they call compulsory?

My girlfriend had a prang recently. She had low grade insurance, presumably the compulsory one which is exactly what I have, having decided essentially to insure myself. It did not cover damage to the other car, presumably only medical damage to the owner. She ended up paying for both cars.......or you know who did :o

Edited by sleepyjohn

3rd Class insurance (third party) has a much higher coverage than the governments CTPL. However maybe (?) the most important point is the 3rd Class cover includes a Bali Bond - that in itself is worth the money.

I have copied the CTPL coverage below, once you read it and see the low coverage you will realise it is extremely silly to rely on that alone.

Compulsory Third Party Liability (CTPL)

In 1992, the Thai government has passed a law that required all vehicles in the Kingdom of Thailand to have an insurance coverage that covers the medical expense of road victims. The law was implemented in April 5, 1993. If an owner of a vehicle fails to have this insurance, he/she will face a fine of THB 10,000 – 50,000.

Coverage of Compulsory Motor Insurance

The compulsory motor insurance only covers bodily injury of the road victims. The property damage is not included. The coverage is divided as followed:

1. Primary Loss

1.1 If the road victim receives a bodily injury, the insurer is subjected to pay for the actual medical expense of the road victim but not exceeding THB 15,000

1.2 If the road victim has lost his/her life, the insurer is subjected to pay the total of THB 15,000 for person.

1.3 If the road victim has received a medical treatment and lost his/her life at a latter stage, the insurer is subjected to pay accordingly to clause 1.1 and 1.2.

2. Loss that exceeds the primary loss

2.1 The insurer is subjected to pay for the excess amount from the primary loss for a bodily injury case but not more than THB 50,000 per person.

2.2 The insurer is subjected to pay for the excess amount from the primary loss for a loss of life case but not more than THB 80,000 per person.

Summary of the Compulsory Motor Insurance coverage

1. Bodily injury maximum THB 50,000/ person

2. Dismemberment maximum THB 80,000/ person

3. Loss of life maximum THB 80,000/ person

Maximum coverage per case

1. Vehicle with less than 7 seats maximum THB 5,000,000/ case

2. Vehicle with more than 7 seats maximum THB 10,000,000/ case

Note : If it is proven that the driver is at fault, the insurer will only responsible for primary loss coverage only.