7-eleven Launching Campaign To Reduce Use Of Plastic Bags

george

I do the same thing at Tops, Jusco, Tesco and Big C as I do at 7-11. I start to repack stuff into fewer bags. I just end up with too many bags to handle, but it doesn't work very well because the clerks then decide it's too heavy and start double-bagging everything! It's not too heavy and I am putting it in a cart because I am driving.

And don't even get me started about what can't be in the same bag with something else! I buy meat and fish and each of these goes into a smaller bag that then goes into a bigger bag!

Try as we may, the biggest part of the ownership of this problem lies on the stores to train and teach their staff how to use bags efficiently and this shouldn't be hard considering the number of idle hands at some of them--or people who are doing nothing but bagging stuff.

7-11 in particular (and I am glad their starting this campaign) can do a lot, because the majority of people buy one or two items and don't need a bag, let alone 2.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard several years ago that China banned the low mill plastic bags and made the minimum mil size of plastic bags to be no less than 4 or 6 mil....the heaver size that you can use over and over. there was a charge for the bag of course, but it eliminated the liteweight flying plastic that you see all over this country. Seems like a simple, logical solution, but TIT.

• 1 month later...

100m bags per year is about 60m baht worth of bags, plus distribution to stores and other costs. It's not only out of concern for the environment that 7-11 is asking customers to cut down- for them it would be a significant cost savings.

In Hong Kong grocery chains such as Park and Shop have switched over to using biodegradable plastic bags. New resin additives can make a standard HDPE bag fully biodegradable. The cost is only 5-10% more than standard bags, however that's a key point- it's a cost increase for retailers so they are not likely to change over without consumer or government pressure.

management's overreaction to fear of product contagion

Stand at Tesco's near the open meat counters for 15 minutes on a busy day and count how many customer hands touch the meat. :D

Do the same in the open and unwrapped bread section at Carefour. :D I found a kid's dirty flip flop amongst the loose buns last week. No wonder the grows mold within 24 hours...

Of course they all wash their hands upon entering the store and never pick their noses or touch the shopping cart's dirty handle. :o

I can't see how not taking a bag (and thus reducing the demand by 1 bag) is not changing something!

Hmm, I'm confused by your double negatives. Are you saying that you don't see how it could NOT help or how it could help? :D

Sorry, totally confused, I don't get farang logic at all :D

Hmm, "farangs" (I, for one, am neither French (farang-set) nor an infidel (ferenghi) - which ever version you prefer as origin of "farang" -

both are an insult to me personally) :D

Are you suggesting that Thai logic is somehow better or superior? I'd like to hear you make a logical argue on that point. :o:D

I also always refuse the unnecessary plastic for pre wrapped items at these stores, but I believe the root of the problem here is not so much the convenience stores/supermarkets, but that people are given plastic bags for everything at the local talad sot/nat - fresh markets (where the majority of the rural population shop daily), not to mention takeaway food carts/fruit/drinks etc. What are they going to put the non prepacked fish/meat/veg from the markets in? I wish someone would come up with something biodegradable but of course, it would have to be cheap also. Not easy. Washing the previous plastic bags? Not very hygenic.

• 7 months later...
I constantly rearrange things at 7-11, putting everything in one bag. The other day, I was in and bought 3 things, a sandwich, a drink, and a pack of cigarettes. I got 3 bags! I took it all out and put it in 1 bag, the girl then took the other two and threw them in the garbage!

I go to the same shop all the time, so I am hoping to get them trained. It's not just about the environment (well it is), but for God's sake, I have a thousand of those stupid bags in my vehicle and I hate cleaning them up--and yes, I tried to reuse one, but she took that out of my hand and threw it in the garbage!

Their campaign needs to start with the employees.

Agree with that. You don't need 3 bags for 3 products.

It is now a common campaign amongst grocery and convenience stores in the west. I just saw a news story that the two largest liquor retailers in the world (canadian provincial liquor commissions) are planning to go the same route with one no longer offering plastic or paper bags by next year.

The Ontario LCBO has been putting their products in paper bags for years .

I constantly rearrange things at 7-11, putting everything in one bag. The other day, I was in and bought 3 things, a sandwich, a drink, and a pack of cigarettes. I got 3 bags! I took it all out and put it in 1 bag, the girl then took the other two and threw them in the garbage!

I go to the same shop all the time, so I am hoping to get them trained. It's not just about the environment (well it is), but for God's sake, I have a thousand of those stupid bags in my vehicle and I hate cleaning them up--and yes, I tried to reuse one, but she took that out of my hand and threw it in the garbage!

No the campaign needs to start with money.....that's the only way.

First year: 10 Satang tax on plastic bags (don't know where to charge, factory maybe)

Second year: 20 Satang

third year: 30 Satang.

fourt year: 50 Satang. Than check the impact and adjust up if necessary.

Problem fixed in 10 years.

Someone in 7-11 obviously reads Thai Visa. :D

Here is my post No. 59 dated 14th January on the 'Plastic bag' thread in the general topics forum.

Here's an idea.

The owner of 7/11 in Thailand is a multi billionaire. His stores pervade every nook and cranny of this land and are now entrenched as part of the modern Thai culture.

How about 7 starting a "reduce plastic bags / love a cleaner Thailand' campaign. There's many ways they could dso this, and I'm sure the creative geniuses at the ad agencies could come up with many bright ideas. But something along the lines of a discount card or free gift ( sweets for the kids) for every customer who brings their own bag. Or whatever. Just get the public at it - kids especially - and have a nationwide publicity campaign to reduce the amount of plastic, and clean up Thailand. The country would benefit and so would 7/11 as the main sponsor of the scheme, and the savings they would make on plastic bag production. They could even sell reusable bags as supermarkets do in other countries.

7/11 would overnight be changed from the villains to the heroes.

A win win situation. But it will never happen.

But who knows, maybe someone should write and suggest it? :D

I wonder if I can take any credit for this campaign? :D

You mean curses from all those who will have to pay for bags in 7-11 thanks to you ? I guess you will take a lot of them :o

It is now a common campaign amongst grocery and convenience stores in the west. I just saw a news story that the two largest liquor retailers in the world (canadian provincial liquor commissions) are planning to go the same route with one no longer offering plastic or paper bags by next year.

Crikey..... next they'll be wrapping things in banana leaves :o

At least banana leaves are biodegradable...

I guess the big shops are not really the ones to blame for just try to buy a soft drink of a street vendor

or go to the markets to buy your meal without using plastic bags Every meal you buy consists of dozens of plastic bags every drink they carry in a plastig bag but I guess I am pis.ing againts the wind you will never change culture in Thailand

I guess the big shops are not really the ones to blame for just try to buy a soft drink of a street vendor

or go to the markets to buy your meal without using plastic bags Every meal you buy consists of dozens of plastic bags every drink they carry in a plastig bag but I guess I am pis.ing againts the wind you will never change culture in Thailand

You are not pis*ing against the wind alone.....we pi*ss together.......

A most interesting topic. I have experienced most of the above circumstances re excessive use of plastic bags. In areas where there are few foreigners, the Thai clerks at stores cater to the local population and generally they don't give a dam_n about how many bags they get.

In our house we do use the plastic bags for bin liners and then they usually get thrown out unless the garbage is clean paper and then they get reused..

I purchased a 15 gallon garbage bin recently and the clerk started to put my shopping in plastic bags. The clerk and following customers were horrified when I started putting my shopping straight in the bin. After all it was new and clean.

It must start by educating the youngsters and then they,hopefully, will learn.

When we go up country to Phichit, the folks along the river pitch their garbage in Maenam Nan in the belief that the garbage will float downriver. Out of sight, out of mind.

There is no garbage pick up service in many more remote areas, so they dump all the plastic crap along the side of the road, then sometimes burn it. :o

Edited by ratcatcher

I do the same thing at Tops, Jusco, Tesco and Big C as I do at 7-11. I start to repack stuff into fewer bags. I just end up with too many bags to handle, but it doesn't work very well because the clerks then decide it's too heavy and start double-bagging everything! It's not too heavy and I am putting it in a cart because I am driving.

And don't even get me started about what can't be in the same bag with something else! I buy meat and fish and each of these goes into a smaller bag that then goes into a bigger bag!

Try as we may, the biggest part of the ownership of this problem lies on the stores to train and teach their staff how to use bags efficiently and this shouldn't be hard considering the number of idle hands at some of them--or people who are doing nothing but bagging stuff.

7-11 in particular (and I am glad their starting this campaign) can do a lot, because the majority of people buy one or two items and don't need a bag, let alone 2.

Had to tell the girls on the checkouts many times at Big C to put more items in each bag, crazy the amount of bags they try to give you. I also assume it how they have been trained.

well, as others pointed out, going to the same 7/11 all the time and saying all the time we don't need plastic bags or straws (I'm happy to see a lot a farangs are doing this) doesn't change anything.

So to be clear, you guys go, say you don't want a plastic bag, and then take it anyway????

Sorry, totally confused, I don't get farang logic at all :o

I can't see how not taking a bag (and thus reducing the demand by 1 bag) is not changing something!

no need to be totally confused, farang logic is : I go repeteadly to the same 7/11 all the time, for small purchases so I don't need a bag, all the time saying I don't need a bag neither a straw, but they will nevertheless each time give me one that I will refuse saying I don't need it (and neither a straw).I mean before I say it.that I don't need.in reaction to them giving me a bag I mean.wich they do all the time.wich I usually don't take (the bag).oh, forget it, I'm gonna take all the bags, easier to explain with my english.

At the typical age and job experience of the 7/11 staff they haven't

learned when they can think out of the box yet, so THEY DON'T.

They were trained by someone 'over them' to give a straw and a bag, even for ONE soda, every time.

They were not trained to 'know each customer's needs' and remember this one isn't a bag and straw guy,

and adjust on the fly.

They fear if not following the original BOSS's instructions that they will be wrong, thus fired and lost face.

So regardless of what you say over many visits, the BOSS's indoctrination will ALWAYS trump it.

Now that the boss ie 7/11 has altered instructions to allow some flexibility, the staff will eventually ALSO show some.

So good on 7 for doing any kind of change. Trickle down as it may be.

They SHOULD start selling nice canvas bags with handles compatible with small motorcycles ergonomics,

and sell them a reasonable cost. They profit and people get less pollution and safer bike rides home too.

Of all the ills that pervade this land (corruption, bad driving, unsafe practices an so on), I think a 'Cleaner Thailand' campaign is the easiest win win.

Launch a campaign on public Television, with sponsors like 7-11, get the major retail businesses on board, put the subject into the public school curriculum, and within a few years you will see a different attitude to plastic bags, and waste in general.

Last year I went to a village in Chaiyaphoom, and it was the prettiest Isaan village I have ever seen. Every yard had a beautifully designed waste bin, and there wasn't a scrap of litter anywhere. In addition, most households had planted shrubs and flowers and it was an unbelievable sight.

I enquired as to who was behind this 'phenomenon', and was advised it was the local Headman and his committee.

So it can be done - even in Thailand.

In my case, staff cooperate well.

In supermarkets and convenient stores, if I buy a few items, I say "mei tong sai thoung ka" when I hand them the items. After the beep, they hand me back the "naked" goods. In convenient stores in gas stations and the 7-Eleven near home, they ask me "Sai thoung mei ka" when I buy 1 or 2 items.

In fresh markets, I bring my own plastic bags. When I buy clean foods (bean sprouts, tofu, meat, etc.), I take their bags. If I buy fish, clams, vegetables, nuts, potatos etc, I use my reused plastic bags.

Foreigners should say it in Thai "Mei tong sai thoung krab / ka". Not every Thai can understand your language.

Someone in 7-11 obviously reads Thai Visa. :D

Here is my post No. 59 dated 14th January on the 'Plastic bag' thread in the general topics forum.

Here's an idea.

The owner of 7/11 in Thailand is a multi billionaire. His stores pervade every nook and cranny of this land and are now entrenched as part of the modern Thai culture.

How about 7 starting a "reduce plastic bags / love a cleaner Thailand' campaign. There's many ways they could dso this, and I'm sure the creative geniuses at the ad agencies could come up with many bright ideas. But something along the lines of a discount card or free gift ( sweets for the kids) for every customer who brings their own bag. Or whatever. Just get the public at it - kids especially - and have a nationwide publicity campaign to reduce the amount of plastic, and clean up Thailand. The country would benefit and so would 7/11 as the main sponsor of the scheme, and the savings they would make on plastic bag production. They could even sell reusable bags as supermarkets do in other countries.

7/11 would overnight be changed from the villains to the heroes.

A win win situation. But it will never happen.

But who knows, maybe someone should write and suggest it? :o

I wonder if I can take any credit for this campaign? :D

Yes Mobi, I bet they read TV :D . I read your post your post too and like it.

Saw a record yesterday when the father-in-law came back from the market (several different stalls/shops I presume) as-well as the customary trick to one or two bakery-stores. On his right hand he held some 15-18 bags (couldn't see them all in plain view to get correct number). Looked like a scene of the hulk carrying a christmas-tree of small white plastic bags. On the left hand you ask? Some bigger bags, but fewer...

in this particular case yes, but if you were to buy washing poweder, a carton of ciggarets, and a slurpee , I would expect 3 separate bags. wet and toxic items need to be segreggated.

in this particular case yes, but if you were to buy washing poweder, a carton of ciggarets, and a slurpee , I would expect 3 separate bags. wet and toxic items need to be segreggated.

You buy your cigarettes as ones and washing powder in an open container? Why would you need to separate them otherwise?

You buy your cigarettes as ones and washing powder in an open container? Why would you need to separate them otherwise?

extra protection.

contamination from leakage , which may not be apparent until you get home.

If washing opowder were toxic you wouldn't dare put your clothes on after using it.

You would need to eat most of a bag to die from washing powder.

It may not taste good, but it's REAL hard to kill yourself with it.

Put the butts on one side of the powder and the drink on the other.

They come wrapped in plastic anyway. wash off the drink top first.

reduced polution, not dead brain cells, end of story.

extra protection.

contamination from leakage , which may not be apparent until you get home.

Contamination? It ain't radio-active mate.

1 bag would do: Ciggies in my pocket and the washing powder in one bag to free up my other hand for drinking the Slurpee.

If washing opowder were toxic you wouldn't dare put your clothes on after using it.

You would need to eat most of a bag to die from washing powder.

It may not taste good, but it's REAL hard to kill yourself with it.

Put the butts on one side of the powder and the drink on the other.

They come wrapped in plastic anyway. wash off the drink top first.

reduced polution, not dead brain cells, end of story.

I see your point, but I used to work in one of these type places years ago , thats the way the 7-11 people are trained - to segragate food , wet / cold items & toxic type items . I still think it is a good standard practise.

They cant be expected to know every customers preferred bagging preference , but im sure if you asked them nicely before they packed things they would do it.