7-eleven Launching Campaign To Reduce Use Of Plastic Bags

george

I constantly rearrange things at 7-11, putting everything in one bag. The other day, I was in and bought 3 things, a sandwich, a drink, and a pack of cigarettes. I got 3 bags! I took it all out and put it in 1 bag, the girl then took the other two and threw them in the garbage!

I go to the same shop all the time, so I am hoping to get them trained. It's not just about the environment (well it is), but for God's sake, I have a thousand of those stupid bags in my vehicle and I hate cleaning them up--and yes, I tried to reuse one, but she took that out of my hand and threw it in the garbage!

Their campaign needs to start with the employees.

Agree with that. You don't need 3 bags for 3 products.

in this particular case yes, but if you were to buy washing poweder, a carton of ciggarets, and a slurpee , I would expect 3 separate bags. wet and toxic items need to be segreggated.

You buy your cigarettes as ones and washing powder in an open container? Why would you need to separate them otherwise?

extra protection.

contamination from leakage , which may not be apparent until you get home.

Contamination? It ain't radio-active mate.

1 bag would do: Ciggies in my pocket and the washing powder in one bag to free up my other hand for drinking the Slurpee.

A carton of ciggies in the pocket ? u got big pockets.

When im on my motorbike I usually hang the slurpee on the handbar. No chance of holding it in the hand. If they were all together in one bag , my slurpee would have a funky new taste to it and the carton of cigs would be sticky and wet, so then Id have to go back.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7-Eleven launching campaign to reduce use of plastic bags

BANGKOK: -- In an attempt to reduce waste and global warming, 7-Eleven convenience stores in Thailand are now considering launching campaigns to persuade customers to switch to clothing bags.

Director-general of the Environmental Quality Promotion Department, Monthip Srirattana Tabucanon, said her department had discussed with senior executives of the convenience store operator on ways to reduce the use of plastic bags.

Each year, the 7-Eleven chain spends about 100 million baht on plastic bags and the stores are now finding ways to lure customers toward clothe bags. It’s possible the campaign will start March.

As no such campaign started in March and as their procedures for using plastic bags hasn't changed one iota from their practices in February, can we presume it's safe to say this was all BS and thus put this 10 month old thread to bed?

I constantly rearrange things at 7-11, putting everything in one bag. The other day, I was in and bought 3 things, a sandwich, a drink, and a pack of cigarettes. I got 3 bags! I took it all out and put it in 1 bag, the girl then took the other two and threw them in the garbage!

I go to the same shop all the time, so I am hoping to get them trained. It's not just about the environment (well it is), but for God's sake, I have a thousand of those stupid bags in my vehicle and I hate cleaning them up--and yes, I tried to reuse one, but she took that out of my hand and threw it in the garbage!

in this particular case yes, but if you were to buy washing poweder, a carton of ciggarets, and a slurpee , I would expect 3 separate bags. wet and toxic items need to be segreggated.

You buy your cigarettes as ones and washing powder in an open container? Why would you need to separate them otherwise?

extra protection.

1 bag would do: Ciggies in my pocket and the washing powder in one bag to free up my other hand for drinking the Slurpee.

When im on my motorbike I usually hang the slurpee on the handbar. No chance of holding it in the hand. If they were all together in one bag , my slurpee would have a funky new taste to it and the carton of cigs would be sticky and wet, so then Id have to go back.

Carton of ciggies? So boxed packs, each individually wrapped in plastic and inside pack of paper...and yet you fear contamination...? :o

Edited by TAWP

extra protection.

Carton of ciggies? So boxed packs, each individually wrapped in plastic and inside pack of paper...and yet you fear contamination...? :D

last time i check ciggies arent water proof or slurpee proof. just takes one spill for contamination to occur.

Up to you :o

last time i check ciggies arent water proof or slurpee proof. just takes one spill for contamination to occur.

Now...I'm no smoker but from what I have seen all packs of ciggies are wrapped in plastic that one has to remove to be able to open it. And each pack is in itself made out of plastic-paper wrapping holding them.

7-11 tried this in Hong Kong

>Pay on tuesdays for bags

>>People stopped shopping at 7-11 on tuesdays

>>>Resumption of free bags on tuesdays.

It would be a totally different story if the shops were to offer a discount for not using plastic bags. :o

7-eleven Launching Campaign To Reduce Use Of Plastic Bags

But who wants to start a campaign that is actually going to end up costing money. :D

Edited by JoeThePoster

Now...I'm no smoker but from what I have seen all packs of ciggies are wrapped in plastic that one has to remove to be able to open it. And each pack is in itself made out of plastic-paper wrapping holding them.

im not a smoker either, so a box of tissues would probably better demonstrate the point I have been trying to make .

if people wish to continue discussing the topic at hand, please do so

but am going to ask everyone to refrain from getting into personal arguments on unrelated issues.

cheers

PS. Ive deleted some off topic posts, and some personal attacks.

can I also ask that people need not quote the entire previous post before adding your own comment?

cheers

After trials and errors, here is a routine that works for me:

Step 1: Flatly refusing plastic bags doesn't go down well, it's better to take bags from home to provide to the cashier. It works much better if the bags are from the same supermarket/shop.

Step 2: Cashiers work fast and need to be made aware of the re-used bags before anything else, otherwise the items will fly into new bags. Therefore the re-used bags are the first to go on the check-out belt, right in front of the shopping, so that the cashier cannot miss them. At 7-11, the plastic bag is presented at the same time as the shopping.

Step 3: When the cashier finishes to deal with the previous customer, this is the time to give a big smile, indicate the bags and say "sai toung nee douai krub/ka" ("put in this bag please"). Works every time.

I also always refuse the unnecessary plastic for pre wrapped items at these stores, but I believe the root of the problem here is not so much the convenience stores/supermarkets, but that people are given plastic bags for everything at the local talad sot/nat - fresh markets (where the majority of the rural population shop daily), not to mention takeaway food carts/fruit/drinks etc. What are they going to put the non prepacked fish/meat/veg from the markets in? I wish someone would come up with something biodegradable but of course, it would have to be cheap also. Not easy. Washing the previous plastic bags? Not very hygenic.

With that simple logic that washing plastic bags is not hygenic , may i ask if you throw away all your dishes after using them ? On the same theme , do you allow your dishes to 'Air' dry , or do you wipe them dry with a cloth ?