Cambodia And Atm Machines

vagabond48

Hi,

I am going to Cambodia next week and need some updated information regarding ATM machines.

Is it my understanding that I can use my USA Visa debit (ATM) card to withdraw US dollars from ATM machines?

If I withdraw let's say $100USD , will I get $100USD or will they take out a either a bank commission % or fee?

Can assume that there is no foreign currency exchange fee since I am withdrawing dollars from my US bank account?

My card reimburses my fees so if the ATM charges a fee will it appear on the receipt (if there is one)?

Thanks for any replies.

Edited by vagabond48

q1 Yes

q2 fees will be deducted from your account, not the amount you receive

q3 Probably not, but there will be a 'foreign transaction charge'

q4 Unknown but the agreements managing foreign use {which US terms means other banks, not just countries} may mean you as client will have costs.

In short you will pay a premium for using your ATM card in Cambodia, compared to using it in your home bank, or in a US bank in the US, in other words on a sliding scale.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Cambodian banks do not make a charge for ATM withdrawals. if our bank charges fees for using the cards overseas then these will apply

Beg to differ, but on a 500USD withdrawal the ANZ charges a 2 USD fee ,it shows up on your slip and statement as drawing 502USD ,then my oz bank charges 4AUD on top on top of that.

Cambodian banks do not make a charge for ATM withdrawals. if our bank charges fees for using the cards overseas then these will apply

Beg to differ, but on a 500USD withdrawal the ANZ charges a 2 USD fee ,it shows up on your slip and statement as drawing 502USD ,then my oz bank charges 4AUD on top on top of that.

ozzydom, Which Bank in Australia do you use? Im looking for one that does not charge an arm & leg every month.

ozzydom, Which Bank in Australia do you use? Im looking for one that does not charge an arm & leg every month.

NAB,they charge $4 aud flat irrespective of the withdrawal amount,which is about 28k baht max per day through ATM

So to confirm, if I use ANZ, they will only charge me $2 and nothing else.

That's great, since my US bank reimburses all my ATM fees (excluding the 1% foreign exchange rate fee which wouldn't apply here) and has no fees. I hope that when my bank receives the ATM withdrawal record, that Visa will transmit 2 transactions, 1 for the ATM withdrawal amount and another for the $2 bank fee so I don't have to mail in my receipts to get reimbursed.

NAB,they charge $4 aud flat irrespective of the withdrawal amount,which is about 28k baht max per day through ATM

ozzydom, I just got this from the NAB web site.

$4.00 each withdrawal

Plus 2% of the amount drawn in AU$

So If I withdraw AU$1,000. here in Cambodia it will cost me $4.00 plus $24.00 Plus $4.00 Monthly fee = $32.00 a month if I only take my money out once a month.

At least its a bit less than St George but still over the top IMO.

Pattayatony,,,I,m not sure of their different charges, mine is a pensioner savings a/c so I dont normally have any fees,if I,m in OZ and withdraw from a NAB ATM there is no charge ,the $4 only comes into play if use other ATM,s.

Funny thing is there is no surcharge on withdrawals from Thai ATM,s,only the $2 us when I use them in Cambo.

My statements show my withdrawals in Thai baht and in AUD, I have checked a few times and find that the amount debited only reflects the current exchange rate,so 20k baht can cost between $590 &$720 .

It depends on the bank that owns/operate the ATM, I have withdrawn money, and in some cases, instead of being charged 50 USD, I was actually charged 52 USD, some other ATM's bank didn't do this.

But the ATM itself did notice me of this charge.

I have worldwide free ATM withdrawals, so my bank doens't charge.

Hi,

I am going to Cambodia next week and need some updated information regarding ATM machines.

Is it my understanding that I can use my USA Visa debit (ATM) card to withdraw US dollars from ATM machines?

If I withdraw let's say $100USD , will I get $100USD or will they take out a either a bank commission % or fee?

Can assume that there is no foreign currency exchange fee since I am withdrawing dollars from my US bank account?

My card reimburses my fees so if the ATM charges a fee will it appear on the receipt (if there is one)?

Thanks for any replies.

Although this may not apply you, I have a UK account with Nationwide which does not charge for any withdrawls anywhere, worldwide, what you withdraw is what you are charged. Are there any Banks in your homeland which offer this service? If you plan on staying overseas for an extended period it is definately worth investigating.

My experience is that if there is no "ATM charge " at home then you get a lesser exchange rate to your home currency. If you are lucky and have no ATM charge and can withdraw in the currency of your home account then you are usually stuck with the local "ATM fee" at the place of withdrawal.

Any one who can say they have a USD,AUD or GBP account with no local or overseas ATM fees, no monthly fees,a competetive rate of exchange at the time of the transaction, no restrictions, please lets us know so we can all get an account there. The banks give you nothing for free these days.

My experience is that if there is no "ATM charge " at home then you get a lesser exchange rate to your home currency. If you are lucky and have no ATM charge and can withdraw in the currency of your home account then you are usually stuck with the local "ATM fee" at the place of withdrawal.

Any one who can say they have a USD,AUD or GBP account with no local or overseas ATM fees, no monthly fees,a competetive rate of exchange at the time of the transaction, no restrictions, please lets us know so we can all get an account there. The banks give you nothing for free these days.

I have been with NAB for many years and have been paying the $4.00 everytime I use a foreign ATM and $4 per month which you can avoid.

I found 2 months ago, while looking for an account for a friend, if you opt for the NAB Gold card, the monthly fees are $12 but you don't pay any ATM fees ($2.00 for non NAB Aus ATM or $4.00 for all foreign ATM is waived).

If you have $5,000 in deposits each month, you don't pay your $12 bucks fees too.

Check it out!

PS, They are still blood sucking leeches though!