Investing In The Big Ones On The Set

Hi there

Would be great to have an ongoing discussion about what's happening on the SET. I've just begun to invest in what I think are quality companies that could churn out long term and short term profits. Also riding the wave of investor panic - what a beautiful time it is to invest!!!

Just to get the ball of discussion rolling...one of my strategies is to partially follow what the big investment groups are biting into. One big investment group is the Crown Property Bureau that have done well with the likes of SCC and SCB - and yes, these listed companies have restructured superbly and produced some great returns....

Hi there

Would be great to have an ongoing discussion about what's happening on the SET. I've just begun to invest in what I think are quality companies that could churn out long term and short term profits. Also riding the wave of investor panic - what a beautiful time it is to invest!!!

Just to get the ball of discussion rolling...one of my strategies is to partially follow what the big investment groups are biting into. One big investment group is the Crown Property Bureau that have done well with the likes of SCC and SCB - and yes, these listed companies have restructured superbly and produced some great returns....

This is something I have always been curious about, however with the past issues with boiler rooms and dishonest foreigners pumping Thai stocks in the past (not directed at you) I've always been leery. Is it possible to trade daily in the markets such as a day trader would do in the States or UK, has Thailand come this far?

Hi there

This is something I have always been curious about, however with the past issues with boiler rooms and dishonest foreigners pumping Thai stocks in the past (not directed at you) I've always been leery. Is it possible to trade daily in the markets such as a day trader would do in the States or UK, has Thailand come this far?

Well, yes, it is possible to daytrade, if that's what you want to do and depends on how much risk you can handle.... for me I notice an average 2 -3 monthly patterns in the highs and lows, so I just put in orders that'll realise 10%-20% and above for every 3 months... I don't stay glued to the daily tables...

Now there are some dishonest insider traders and manipulative politicians and influential businessman that contribute to the incredible gains, but that's the way it is here ... and I put some of my gains from my honest into needy charity that would otherwise be ignored by the higher echalons....

I'm also looking longterm (3-5 years) with some stocks that I know will grow more over the years ....

theres a thai-stocks daytraders free blog here

I dont have anything to do with the blog apart from reading it from time to time and seeing if they can spot good winners. They have picked some good ones in the past but you need to have your eyes glued to the computer for any signs.

I dont daytrade as it is very risky these days, many have been burnt, by investing too much,but if you have a temperment for it and some spare coin, have a go.

Value-wise,I would guess that some of the blue chip stocks are a good pick, when the new govt is willing to pump some cash into new mega-projects around BKK and further out as well. Some low caps in the MAI do well too.

Anyone know a broker with politician customers? :o

I have been following Thailand blue chips a lot which are mostly fundamentally sound. But I have made mistakes all the time on timing. Buying too high e.g. holding the SCC shares at 270 now 220 range. My motto now is to buy blue chips when there is a macro crisis when blue chips are irrationally low. Currently, SCC is down because of bad results and the expected government investment in infrastructure has not commanded much confidence yet, I think it might be a right time to collect marginally first.

In the long run, it is best to follow your strategy except to be careful about timing. I have lost plenty on the small and medium cap stocks through reading of the analysts' opinion, they are mostly misleading, they just write to keep themselves occupied. There are only two brokerage houses that I now give respect to which are Phatra and DBS.

Another area that has boosted up my gain is future trading on SET 50. Reading of the world trend is a must and in some occassions (not often), you can almost be certain of the rise or fall in SET 50 index for the next day. I have been in this index trading for 15 months and has made a net huge gain so far. This one requires self learning through a small amount in the first few months. Once you have gained your confidence of reading the trend and especially when you have made a big gain and subsequently a big loss, you can then consider yourself matured on this new opportunity.

I'm not a trader but I have an account with Phatra, who have some pretty good research. It also lets you compare the research of others as well.

The other thing I have is a ING good corporate governance fund which has done pretty well in the two years I've had it. Aberdeen would be another good Thai fund manager.

I'm not a trader but I have an account with Phatra, who have some pretty good research. It also lets you compare the research of others as well.

The other thing I have is a ING good corporate governance fund which has done pretty well in the two years I've had it. Aberdeen would be another good Thai fund manager.

Yes, Aberdeen is another one in my heart on my funds invested. I will now try to look at ING as well. Thanks, samran.

Let's talk about the blue stock and hidden gems - which ones have good management? which ones are not overly debt laden? which ones have the market demand - local and international ? which ones have consistent dividend returns?

MK P/E 4.8 div yield 6% P/BV 0.44

KK P/E 7 div yield 7.6% P/BV 0.83

THAI P/E 8 div yield 5.2% P/BV 0.81

JTS P/E 7 div yield 17% P/BV 0.65

Let's talk about the blue stock and hidden gems - which ones have good management? which ones are not overly debt laden? which ones have the market demand - local and international ? which ones have consistent dividend returns?

Thank you all for sharing ... so good to bounce off ideas and strategies ...

One fundamental policy I've adopted in entering in stock trading is not only to listen to the analysts, but to listen to your gut feeling from own daily research and from past history. The successful investors weigh up all the information and then go for it. Mostly they get it right with ultimate big gains.

And yes, I look to buy into a good stock when it's at its lowest in a year, knowing they will rebound with 6 months to just over a year. And if they go further down I just hang on. SCC is at its lowest yet these last 6 months and I think its time to buy another chunk ...

Set 50, ING and Aberdeen will have a definite look-see... Aberdeen has beeen mentioned a few times by astute investors now, so i will do soem good research there too.

I'm also admiring BANPU as they have good managemtn and have soared through 460... want to wait to buy below 440 - missed that chance a month ago....

Financial sectors - SCB and Kbank look promising for the long run ...

Any thoughts on Palm oil with UPOIC? did a 40 % rise within a year ago. Think with demand for green energy it will do the same again once the government gets the infrastructure sorted. hit 70 recently, but going down... will wait at 60 or lower to strike.....

And then a fascinating media stock TRAF issue - bent all the rules a few months ago with probable inside trading and trebled its values within a few months. But then the SET admin severely limited its trading cababilities - after reaching 17 (from 2.30) traders pulled out after the SET clampdown and now hovers on 5-6. Not sure if I can trust its management....

For what it's worth, I'm holding SCC (av purchase price 232). I'm sure it will head up at some point but maybe not in the short term. It has a nice dividend that beats the banks so justifies the longer hold if need be. Am also holding TMT, it's a small cap with low liquidity but with a dividend of circa 10% it may spark a bit of buying interest in the next few months. Finally, have MAJOR. Not too sure about this one but most of the brokerage reports are positive. Sold KK last week.

Am looking around for a new buy but haven't seen anything at the right price. Will keep my eye on this thread.

For what it's worth, I'm holding SCC (av purchase price 232). I'm sure it will head up at some point but maybe not in the short term. It has a nice dividend that beats the banks so justifies the longer hold if need be. Am also holding TMT, it's a small cap with low liquidity but with a dividend of circa 10% it may spark a bit of buying interest in the next few months. Finally, have MAJOR. Not too sure about this one but most of the brokerage reports are positive. Sold KK last week.

Am looking around for a new buy but haven't seen anything at the right price. Will keep my eye on this thread.

Yes, SCC will head further down for a time, but when it bounces back it should be a lovely gain - along with the dividends- and overridingly beat the measley 2.75% offered by the banks. Amazingly Tachanakorn (think that's how it's spelt, otherwise I call it the "orange bank") are offering 3% for B10 million down!!!!

TMT sounds interesting ... will have a look at it...

Anyone had a look at SE-ED? A nice long term stock - good management, nice concept, been growing steadily the last year... should have bought it when it was at 5 now hitting the 10 ceiling ...

UPOIC is sure to go up as demand for palm oil increases and the production improves...

MAJOR, hmmmm... I would look at other info than those brokerage reports....

Any other comments on the recent crazy runs on SCB and Kbank?