Air Asia

grtaylor

Following a slight redesign of the Air Asia website, there is no flight from BKK to Langkawi listed in the drop-down, although it is still in their printed schedule. Anyone know if the flight still exists? I've emailed them about it, and just got an automatic acknowledgement . . . .

Thanks.

I did fly in january 2007 durin their first weeks of operation, and already at that time I feared that this (lovely) destination would not survive.....

at that flight, there was a cabin-crew who seemed to be a supervisor (a very cute young lady and very cordial and friendly), when I asked her, she admitted she was a "trainer" for ThaiAirAsia cabin-crew. She said that they hoped it would get a load factor of at least 60%, though there were only 3 flights a week anyway. I had my doubts that this would be possible.

its sad that all those lovely destinations dont see any non-stop flights from BKK anymore.... same goes for Kota Kinabalu.....

but no need for a mess-up of your songkhran plans. you can either fly to Hat Yai, from where its just about 90 minutes (if I remember that right) to satun, and take a ferry to langkawi.

or, you can fly to Penang, and directly hop on a short flight from Penang to langkawi by Fireflyz. those flights can be had for 49 RM icluding taxes at the moment, they do have a promotion which started today (booking period lasts 5 days only, though).

or take the ferry from penang to langkawi, but then u have an expensive transfer by taxi to the ferry in downtown area ahead of u.

if need advice, PM me

I did fly in january 2007 durin their first weeks of operation, and already at that time I feared that this (lovely) destination would not survive.....

at that flight, there was a cabin-crew who seemed to be a supervisor (a very cute young lady and very cordial and friendly), when I asked her, she admitted she was a "trainer" for ThaiAirAsia cabin-crew. She said that they hoped it would get a load factor of at least 60%, though there were only 3 flights a week anyway. I had my doubts that this would be possible.

its sad that all those lovely destinations dont see any non-stop flights from BKK anymore.... same goes for Kota Kinabalu.....

but no need for a mess-up of your songkhran plans. you can either fly to Hat Yai, from where its just about 90 minutes (if I remember that right) to satun, and take a ferry to langkawi.

or, you can fly to Penang, and directly hop on a short flight from Penang to langkawi by Fireflyz. those flights can be had for 49 RM icluding taxes at the moment, they do have a promotion which started today (booking period lasts 5 days only, though).

or take the ferry from penang to langkawi, but then u have an expensive transfer by taxi to the ferry in downtown area ahead of u.

if need advice, PM me

Thanks for those ideas - I've been to Penang many times (not for visas - I have a work permit) but just because I like the place, so I was actually trying to avoid it this time :o I had planned to have a couple of days in KL, and then fly back via Langkawi, but then the KL Low Cost terminal has rather put me off too. 20km from the airport?!?!

if need advice, PM me

Thanks for those ideas - I've been to Penang many times (not for visas - I have a work permit) but just because I like the place, so I was actually trying to avoid it this time :o I had planned to have a couple of days in KL, and then fly back via Langkawi, but then the KL Low Cost terminal has rather put me off too. 20km from the airport?!?!

what is 20 km from the airport ???

The low-cost terminal, because of the layout of the access roads, the terminal transfer bus does indeed travel for 20km.

Via Satun as posted above would be one of the faster ways to get there, I reckon...

well, actually its just across the runway, 1-2 KM from the main terminal. but yes, if you need to get to the main Terminal, then indeed the shuttle-bus has to ride in circles to get there....

but I guess the OP gets a wrong impression.... the LCCT is not 20 km "away from the airport".

and why care about the main terminal, when u find inexpensive shuttle-busses (80-90 Baht) going to KL central, just when u leave LCC-terminal building.

since the LCCT opened, I have used it 10-12 times and never needed to go to the main terminal, as I didnt have any connecting flight on a big carrier....

the only downturn at the LCCT is, its already hopelessly overcrowded, as AirAsia is growing extremely fast. but terminal-extensions and upgrades are already in the pipeline.....

The low-cost terminal, because of the layout of the access roads, the terminal transfer bus does indeed travel for 20km.

Via Satun as posted above would be one of the faster ways to get there, I reckon...

well, actually its just across the runway, 1-2 KM from the main terminal. but yes, if you need to get to the main Terminal, then indeed the shuttle-bus has to ride in circles to get there....

but I guess the OP gets a wrong impression.... the LCCT is not 20 km "away from the airport".

and why care about the main terminal, when u find inexpensive shuttle-busses (80-90 Baht) going to KL central, just when u leave LCC-terminal building.

since the LCCT opened, I have used it 10-12 times and never needed to go to the main terminal, as I didnt have any connecting flight on a big carrier....

the only downturn at the LCCT is, its already hopelessly overcrowded, as AirAsia is growing extremely fast. but terminal-extensions and upgrades are already in the pipeline.....

OK - I understand now - but actually I got the figure of 20km from KLIA's own website! How far is it from the LCCT to the fast train to KL - I really prefer trains to buses :o

G

OK - I understand now - but actually I got the figure of 20km from KLIA's own website! How far is it from the LCCT to the fast train to KL - I really prefer trains to buses :o

G

Yeah, me too, but I think given the time spent getting to the train (it's attached to the main terminal, so it can't be much less than 20km), any good mood would vanish, the buses posted above would be best.

when the LCCT still didnt exist, I always took the speed train to KL SENTRAL. 28 minutes, and a ride smooth as silk......

when the LCCT opened, I was kinda reluctant to use those shuttle busses, but nowadays I must say, I got used to it. its quite okay and very cheap. and faster than the speed-train, because - as Florin already mentioned - it is a hassle and time-consuming to get to the main terminal building from the LCCT.

so u better stick to the cheap 8 or 9 RM-Busses, and u will arrive at KL SENTRAL in usually no more than 75 minutes. departures are frequent, every 10-15 minutes, several companies doing that trip.

the speedtrain costs 35 RM one way, and only saves u time in case ur flight arrives at the main terminal.

oh and a tip: when u arrive at KL SENTRAL, dont deal with any Taxi-driver directly. KL's Taxi-drivers are the biggest shame of Malaysia. Buy an inexpensive fixed-price-voucher (usually 10-12 RM for all downtown hotels) at one of the several desks. there is one too when arriving from the airport by KLIA EXPRESS. just dont go to the LIMOUSINE-counter, its much more expensive than the ECONOMY-TEKSI-counter just next to it....

Edited by THAILIBAN

when the LCCT still didnt exist, I always took the speed train to KL SENTRAL. 28 minutes, and a ride smooth as silk......

when the LCCT opened, I was kinda reluctant to use those shuttle busses, but nowadays I must say, I got used to it. its quite okay and very cheap. and faster than the speed-train, because - as Florin already mentioned - it is a hassle and time-consuming to get to the main terminal building from the LCCT.

so u better stick to the cheap 8 or 9 RM-Busses, and u will arrive at KL SENTRAL in usually no more than 75 minutes. departures are frequent, every 10-15 minutes, several companies doing that trip.

the speedtrain costs 35 RM one way, and only saves u time in case ur flight arrives at the main terminal.

oh and a tip: when u arrive at KL SENTRAL, dont deal with any Taxi-driver directly. KL's Taxi-drivers are the biggest shame of Malaysia. Buy an inexpensive fixed-price-voucher (usually 10-12 RM for all downtown hotels) at one of the several desks. there is one too when arriving from the airport by KLIA EXPRESS. just dont go to the LIMOUSINE-counter, its much more expensive than the ECONOMY-TEKSI-counter just next to it....

Thanks Thailiban - very useful advice!

G