Easiest Mobile Phone To Backup?

mitebbots

I have an older Nokia 6610 tht is hard to backup contacts to PC. Can someone recommend a phone that is easy to backup to PC? Something that has easy software available. I do not need video and MP3 player really. just a good solid phone. prefer smaller. I've asked at several places in MBK with no real answers. thx

I have an older Nokia 6610 tht is hard to backup contacts to PC. Can someone recommend a phone that is easy to backup to PC? Something that has easy software available. I do not need video and MP3 player really. just a good solid phone. prefer smaller. I've asked at several places in MBK with no real answers. thx

I was a dedicated Sony Ericsson user. Then I bought my first Nokia. I was horrified with the VERY buggy software furnished by Nokia. I downloaded the new Nokia Suite recommended for the Nokia model I was using and most of the problems went away. I have since upgraded to a newer Nokia and the newest Nokia Suite and find I have no problems backing up my phone and swapping files or connecting to the Internet. I think if you spend a little time getting the phone firmware updated and the correct Nokia Suite version, your problems will go away.

I was a dedicated Sony Ericsson user. Then I bought my first Nokia. I was horrified with the VERY buggy software furnished by Nokia. I downloaded the new Nokia Suite recommended for the Nokia model I was using and most of the problems went away. I have since upgraded to a newer Nokia and the newest Nokia Suite and find I have no problems backing up my phone and swapping files or connecting to the Internet. I think if you spend a little time getting the phone firmware updated and the correct Nokia Suite version, your problems will go away.

the nokia PC Suite sure is a lot of software to run just to backup. never worked that well for me. always had problems with the cable connection at the phone end too.

which model Nokia are you using? so many models. I need tri-band and maybe bluetooth - nothing else really.

Here is how I make a Back-up of everything on my phone, including Contacts, memos, photos, documents, additional programs etc:

- connect phone with computer

- push the button on the connector cable

That's all.

It's a TREO680, a Palm phone with hundreds of phone numbers and addresses, memos, documents and later installed programs. Simple, easy, reliable. And the back-up on the computer is fully visible, can be accessed, modified and synchronized with the phone again.

Edited by dominique355

the nokia PC Suite sure is a lot of software to run just to backup. never worked that well for me. always had problems with the cable connection at the phone end too.

which model Nokia are you using? so many models. I need tri-band and maybe bluetooth - nothing else really.

My first Nokia was a 6230. After I got all the firmware and software updated it turned out to be a great phone. I now have an N-80 that is also working very well. The N-80 has all the bells and whistles that I seldom use but it too needed updates. I think Nokia makes mistakes bringing out new buggy products. I was actually disgusted that I gave up the 6230 for the N-80 before I updated that firmware and software. The N-80 is kind of clunky and heavy with poor battery life but other than that it works well. I think I'm going to buy an E-51 for my next phone.

Well with requirements for tri-band (900/1800/1900 presumably? or WDCDMA?) and bluetooth you've moved up into the mid-range.

What is your budget?

Do you really need to back up "contacts" or just names/phone numbers? How many?

Do you synch to Outlook?

If you just need to back up names/numbers you can always just get a spare SIM and copy everything to that, then store it. If you really need to back-up contacts (names, addresses, phone numbers, email, etc.) you might need a more sophisticated solution which might synch to your contact managemet software.

The Nokia 3110 Classic is tri-band (900/1800/1900), has bluetooth (also a standard mini-USB connector) and is relatively inexpensive (4,000 THB, although it does have a lot of things you might not need: 2 GB uSD, MP3 player, camera/video/GPRS-EDGE). You can back-up contacts a variety of ways using Nokia PC Suite. Many bluetooth PC applications also have file manager access so you might be able to back-up contacts via that method.

I really only need to backup phone numbers in case of a lost phone. i've never been able to find anyone that would do a firmware update on a Nokia in Bangkok. 3110 sounds like it might work. I like that they did away with that silly connector on the bottom and use a regular USB cable. E-51? budget is 6000b or so - just need a phone.

I use Motorola for a while and the software is easy to use and syncs with outlook. You can also export to csv files and other formats.

headed out to MBK today to look. Hopefully figure something out. Nokia has worked well for me, might check on the least expensive with bluetooth.

Well with requirements for tri-band (900/1800/1900 presumably? or WDCDMA?) and bluetooth you've moved up into the mid-range.

What is your budget?

Do you really need to back up "contacts" or just names/phone numbers? How many?

Do you synch to Outlook?

If you just need to back up names/numbers you can always just get a spare SIM and copy everything to that, then store it. If you really need to back-up contacts (names, addresses, phone numbers, email, etc.) you might need a more sophisticated solution which might synch to your contact managemet software.

The Nokia 3110 Classic is tri-band (900/1800/1900), has bluetooth (also a standard mini-USB connector) and is relatively inexpensive (4,000 THB, although it does have a lot of things you might not need: 2 GB uSD, MP3 player, camera/video/GPRS-EDGE). You can back-up contacts a variety of ways using Nokia PC Suite. Many bluetooth PC applications also have file manager access so you might be able to back-up contacts via that method.

Is that 3110 pretty durable? I will also miss the place to attach a leash - that helped me on my 6110.

Is that 3110 pretty durable? I will also miss the place to attach a leash - that helped me on my 6110.

Hmmm, not sure what qualifies as durable? My guess is that it is as durable as any phone. I use an inexpensive (100 baht) zippered, padded case for my phones. I've dropped the case a few times with the phone in it, and the phone survived.

The Nokia 3110 Classic does have a connection for a leash, most phones do.

Re: backing up numbers, you could buy a SIM for as little as 59 baht and back you numbers to that (Copy Contacts from Phone to SIM)? Top it up for 1 year for 100 baht and you're good to go if you lose your phone, buy a new/used one and plug the back-up SIM in.

At MBK buy at one of the box-shops, i.e. wholesale shop. There are ~ 10 box shops, identified by the stacks and stacks of phones in boxes; this is where the counter-shops go to get your phone if you buy from them. You can save ~ 100 - 250 baht. I buy at NASA, if entering the phone area on the 4th floor from Tokiyu, go the left, far wall and look for the crowd of Thai people. I think the 3110 C should be available for 4,000 THB or less?

You can compare up to four Nokia models at: http://www.nokia-asia.com/comparephonesconsumerapac

Hmmm, not sure what qualifies as durable? My guess is that it is as durable as any phone. I use an inexpensive (100 baht) zippered, padded case for my phones. I've dropped the case a few times with the phone in it, and the phone survived.

The Nokia 3110 Classic does have a connection for a leash, most phones do.

Re: backing up numbers, you could buy a SIM for as little as 59 baht and back you numbers to that (Copy Contacts from Phone to SIM)? Top it up for 1 year for 100 baht and you're good to go if you lose your phone, buy a new/used one and plug the back-up SIM in.

At MBK buy at one of the box-shops, i.e. wholesale shop. There are ~ 10 box shops, identified by the stacks and stacks of phones in boxes; this is where the counter-shops go to get your phone if you buy from them. You can save ~ 100 - 250 baht. I buy at NASA, if entering the phone area on the 4th floor from Tokiyu, go the left, far wall and look for the crowd of Thai people. I think the 3110 C should be available for 4,000 THB or less?

You can compare up to four Nokia models at: http://www.nokia-asia.com/comparephonesconsumerapac

thanks for that. I think the No Leash thing is a deal breaker on the 3110 tho. headed to MBK will try to find NASA store. thanks again.

If I may attach my (sort of similar but specific) query, is there an easy way to back up/sync a nokia 95 to an apple computor?

Have a look here.

Nokia/Mac software

Naka.

Many thanks. Site seems to be exactly for people in my situation.

Of course now will come the hard part (at least for a minimally computor literate chap like me) as I try to understand and apply what I need from the site. Hope it will be idiot-proof.

Edited by triffid

Put phone numbers and other such data into Excel and send it to a web based email account. I do it with passport stuff as well, just in case.

Ignorant question I suspect. Apologies.

But "put...data into Excel and send it..."

ie directly from the phone? surely not retype everything on a computor to send?!

Sorry, not meant to be flippant.

Remember before mobile phones when you could remember 50+ phone numbers and addresses ? Well I did put them into Excel though I admit I was not as dilligent as I should have been and often went months without updating. However, in the current environment, I scan all important documents and have loads of numbers loaded up multiple internet based email accounts so if I lose something, I can get a copy or retrieve the information.

No, it is a manual task but just how many new phone numbers do you get in a day or a week ? it is what you have collected over the years that you don't want to lose.