Which Car Is The Best?

snowflake

For expats living here in LOS, which car would you say is the best one and why?

I am driving a Yaris, slow but very nice in town. It is also a short on storrage space regarding traveling and golf clubs...

Which car are you driving and which car do you think would be best in Thailand.

Honda Civic

Toyota Altis

Honda City

Toyota Vios

Honda Jazz

Toyota Yaris

Nissan Tida

Honda Accord

Toyota Camry

Nissan Teena

Mitsubishi Lancer

Just to name a few.

any suggestions???

As everyone else has said, it really depends on your needs and buying power. Having said that I don't really see the point in spending huge amounts of money on imported luxury European cars such as Merc's and BMW's when for considerably less you are able to get a very similar spec car which also benefits from far cheaper maintainance costs, such as a Camry or an Accord. But again it's up to the individual, some people may value the "brand" of the car highly enough to warrant it's purchase.

The Fortuner is definitly not a waste of money..

So what if i dont go off-road that much.

It's a great car for travelling around Thailand with 4-5 people and luggage.

In the city it's not bad either.. Maybe if your not used to bigger CARS you'll need to get used to it driving it in town.

Did over 80.000km with mine and the first problem has yet to come.

Yes it is a bit thirsty, but i really dont care. Diesel 29 Baht :o

Something cheap and fundamentally multi-purpose is a pick-up truck. Get any one of them, 2 door, 4 door, whatever. To my knowledge, the cheapest 2 door space cab is chevy colorado (the new one). Brand new a little over 500K.

Yeah, these are great value for money, but I would never buy one personally. IMHO they look crap and are too big, slow and uncomfortable for the city. They are made for folks living out in the sticks.

Something cheap and fundamentally multi-purpose is a pick-up truck. Get any one of them, 2 door, 4 door, whatever. To my knowledge, the cheapest 2 door space cab is chevy colorado (the new one). Brand new a little over 500K.

Yeah, these are great value for money, but I would never buy one personally. IMHO they look crap and are too big, slow and uncomfortable for the city. They are made for folks living out in the sticks.

Pickups are not slow, they give you best acceleration around, only Camry/Accord or top spec Civic/Altis can keep up.

They are not geared to be driven faster than 170km/h, though.

I don't know why when asked which car is best people answer Fortuner since when is a modified pick-up a car, I would go for Camry or Accord for comfort then it depends how much you want to spend.

Is this so to any meningful extent? Any more than any other 'suv' in Europe/America?

Is this also true of every other such vehicle in Thailand? eg the Honda CRV et al.?

Is there a website in english with info on the Fortuner?

If I were contemplating buying a Fortuner would owners or those in the know advize me to look for a fairly recent 2nd hand one or buy new, on the criterion of value for money? Or if I had the flexibility should I hold off pending an imminent improved/new model?

Appreciate your comments.

:o

I don't know why when asked which car is best people answer Fortuner since when is a modified pick-up a car, I would go for Camry or Accord for comfort then it depends how much you want to spend.

Is this so to any meningful extent? Any more than any other 'suv' in Europe/America?

Is this also true of every other such vehicle in Thailand? eg the Honda CRV et al.?

Is there a website in english with info on the Fortuner?

If I were contemplating buying a Fortuner would owners or those in the know advize me to look for a fairly recent 2nd hand one or buy new, on the criterion of value for money? Or if I had the flexibility should I hold off pending an imminent improved/new model?

Appreciate your comments.

If you want value for money then the Toyota brand is the best, cost servicing and parts etc I brought a sportsrider 4 years ago its done over 200k now and i have never had a problem with it ,don't want to change it

Edited by gunnerterry

Im looking after a friends Fortuner, while hes in Europe. 2.7ltr Petrol.

First impressions; Looks good. Seating is high up.Big heavy vehical with poor brakes, good forward vision but poor rear visability, comfy seats.

Impressions after about a week and current view; Thirsty on petrol and same as above.

Prefer my Toyota Wish, fits same amount of people and easier to get in and out of, about the same amount of interior space, good brakes, and all round visability and handles like a car, engine could be better.

I find it funny that the people who dont own a Fortuner complain about it the most.

You'd expect the owners to complain more?

G

You allmost never hear the owner of a Fortuner complain about it..

That's why it's funny that people that dont have one, complain about it.

But thats why they don't own one - because they complain about it. Actually I have nothing against it per se, more than I have something against any vehicle which is over about 1.6 litres. Completely unneccesary for normal use, unless you have a huge family.

G

For expats living here in LOS, which car would you say is the best one and why?

I am driving a Yaris, slow but very nice in town. It is also a short on storrage space regarding traveling and golf clubs...

Which car are you driving and which car do you think would be best in Thailand.

Honda Civic

Toyota Altis

Honda City

Toyota Vios

Honda Jazz

Toyota Yaris

Nissan Tida

Honda Accord

Toyota Camry

Nissan Teena

Mitsubishi Lancer

Just to name a few.

any suggestions???

Exactly did you want to know? Reliabilty? Operating Costs? Initial Purchase Price? Customer Satisfaction? I think your question is too broad to give an meaningful suggestions. You mentioned golf clubs and traveling... that would narrow it down to... all of the above. I drive a CRV, I think the best car would be a Benz ML320 CDI.

I’ve been looking at cars recently with the intention of purchasing. Asking some local friends for their suggestions I found Toyota to be their overall preferred manufacturer.

This was their opinion on the various manufacturers on Snowflakes list.

Toyota - good resale value, cheap parts, good after sale service

Nissan - good value, resale ok, poor after sales service

Honda - good value, resale ok, expensive servicing

Mitsubishi – Good cars, expensive, expensive parts

I’ve been looking at medium sized estate cars that can be used as a people carrier and can also be converted to carry medium loads. I reduced my list down to a Nissan Tiida estate, Honda CRV or Toyota Wish.

I rented a Tiida automatic and was disappointed; it’s now off my list. I found the build quality to be poor with plenty of squeaks and poor acceleration in the 80 – 110 kph range.

To throw a spanner in the works the Toyota sales manager has now recommended I look at a Fortuner. It’s the same price as the Wish.

His reasoning is the Fortuner will survive longer on the roads we have in our area and bring me a better resale price in the future. He also mentioned the Wish is based on a sports chassis and gives a rough ride.

At the moment I’m swayed towards the Fortuner although it’s bigger than my original needs.

I find it funny that the people who dont own a Fortuner complain about it the most.

G

But thats why they don't own one - because they complain about it. Actually I have nothing against it per se, more than I have something against any vehicle which is over about 1.6 litres. Completely unneccesary for normal use, unless you have a huge family.

G

I dont think i can tow my boat with a 1.6 engine.

:o i think it will tow the car in to the water then!!

In a lot of cases people dont like the Fortuner while they have never driven one..

I take mine from the north to the south and from east to west of Thailand and it handles perfectly fine under all circumstances..

Great travelling car/modified pick-up. :D

And btw the Fortuner drives nothing like a vigo or other pick-up..

It's a good thing people like different things. To my eye the two ugliest vehicles in Thailand are the Triton and the Fortuner. The Fortuner looks, lumpy, fat, pregnant and very clumsy. The Triton is even uglier. :o

G

G

I dont think i can tow my boat with a 1.6 engine.

:o i think it will tow the car in to the water then!!

In a lot of cases people dont like the Fortuner while they have never driven one..

I take mine from the north to the south and from east to west of Thailand and it handles perfectly fine under all circumstances..

Great travelling car/modified pick-up. :D

And btw the Fortuner drives nothing like a vigo or other pick-up..

Boils down to a person's budget, doesn't it? If one can only afford something around 1.6 engine, why would they have the need for it to tow a boat? any car is good if the owner is happy with it and it fits in the budget well. at this point of time, it does not make sense for one to buy a huge gas guzzler when prices on the pumps are extremely high.

do i like the Fortuner? Of course I do. But I rather go with something more economical. A Honda Civic 1.8 that runs on NGV fits fine with my 100km a day driving. Both fast and comfortable.