How Much Money Will I Need..

lbd2005

<!--QuoteBegin-lbd2005+Fri 2004-09-17, 16:29:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (lbd2005 @ Fri 2004-09-17, 16:29:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I am going to Thailand for a month, just wondering how much money I will need.

I am a brit.. so in pounds would be ideal.

Thanks people.

:D <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->

hi lbd, im going to phuket for 1 month xmas time,i reckon at least 2000 quid , airfare£ 650 ---insurance £55--coach£30--visa£30--hotel£22--p/nx33 nights-- £725--drink god knows--girls,-god knows--trips--taxis /car hire etc --are you on a family trip, or mongering? :o

I am going to Thailand for a month, just wondering how much money I will need.

I am a brit.. so in pounds would be ideal.

Depends what you will do, how you will travel, what you will eat and where you will stay.

For example, you can stuff yourself from a streetside vendor for less than a quid, but a fancy meal at the Bangkok Hard Rock Cafe' will be much more.

You can stay in an inexpensive guest house for only a few quid per night, or a 4-star hotel for 20 or 30 times that much.

IMHO, given reasonable expenses 1000 quid should be more than enough. If you take your money out from the ATM, at current exchange rates, that is about 74,000 to 75,000 Thai baht. It is more than many Thai people make in a year.

You should be able to do just fine on a lot less if you use your money wisely.

Here is an example of some expenses from a recent trip:

- Two nights at the Asia Airport Hotel just up the road from Don Mueang:

1600 TB per night, 3200 TB total, or about 40 GBP total

(for comparison, I've also stayed at a no-frills place, like the Ayutthaya Guest House, very nice accommodations for about a 1/3 of that)

- Eating at the roadside stops or typical Thai restaurant, I had a hard time spending more than the equivalent of a few quid; bought a whole meal's worth of fresh pineapple, melon and cashews on the street for well less than 1 quid.

(even buying a full meal at a nice restaurant was little more than a few quid)

- In Bkk, the Skytrain will take you to many places for about a quid. An all day or multiday pass is only a few quid.

- IN Bkk, meter taxis are very inexpensive. For example, a taxi from Sukhumvit out to the airport (about 20km) is only about 300-400 TB, or about 5 quid.

If you can manage to spend the equivalent of 40 quid (about 3000 TB) on a full night of drinking and partying, then you're a better man than I.

Hope this helps.

I did the month of March for £400 (true!). :D

Beer, food and free bargirl sex (she liked me, can't have been my money I said I didn't have much). Shacked up with a couple of girls in Chiang Mai for 'payment in grind' so that was cheap. :D

Mind you: I wasn't there for scoring and whoring (well, just a little bit :o )

A mate spent ten months there and blew £30,000 but he's a reprobate so that's understandable.

Hotel £10? that is what I am talking about!

A whore £30? I hear so many different stories, I hear they only cost you £15 tops.

You must have listening to an expat English teacher!

I would imagine £15 (1000b) is the least you will pay, not the top!

I was quoted 2000THB (about £30) which she dropped to 1500THB (about £22) when I showed no interest. She was a bit nice but I wasn't up for it so no deal. That was in some gogo place in Nana, on the balcony IIRC.

I can only really tell you about Pattaya for recent prices.

But both Bangkok and Phuket are more expensive for me, Phuket especially.

Hotel - vary between 300 baht and 3,000 per night, depending on your needs. Say 800 for a place you could live in for more than a couple of nights. (Thats a tenner)

Food - if you want Brit nosh - Queen Vic., Crazy Dave's, Fatties, so on - between 200 and 300 per meal - 3 quid to a fiver.

Draught ale (well it's all bloody lager stuff, really) about 50 baht a jar - Guinees or Kilkenny three times that.

Prices for draught beer in bars a touch more, but less than a quid. Bottled stuff more. Spirits better value, but you'll get ratted too early in the evening.

Taking a girl back for the night - couple of thou' to include a snack and bar-fine. That's 25 quid.

Souvenirs, buying fake kit, so on, car rental, seeing the sights like most tourists - a couple of thou' per day.

This looks like sixty per day, for thirty days - eighteen hundred of the best. Plus your airfare. If you come out with less spending money, bring credit cards. The exchange rate in ATM's is very fair. Do not carry much cash around with you. Keep a copy of your passport on your person, but your real documents (passport, air-ticket, bank-book, most of your dosh) in a hotel safe, drawing what you need as you need it.

I was quoted 2000THB (about £30) which she dropped to 1500THB (about £22) when I showed no interest. She was a bit nice but I wasn't up for it so no deal. That was in some gogo place in Nana, on the balcony IIRC.

Sounds like a Katoey :o

When i lived in Pattaya was living on about 125 quid a week but thats appartment not hotels and only going out 2 or 3 times a week.

Can pick up a relatively nice hotel for about 5 quid in Pattaya and a tenner in Bkk.

As for the girls pattaya´s a lot cheaper i never used to pay over 500 if your tight fisted can get them as low as 300 with a 200 baht parfine on top. A lot of freebies available if your willing to get to know them to.

Everything can be done cheaply just a matter of if you want to if your only coming for a holiday??

:o

700 pounds for a month is a backpacking holiday. 2000 and have a great time, the whores are cheaper in Pattaya, at the moment you can get them for 500 baht a night as there are so many. This is the slow season so barter with them.

You can get some good deals in BKK also 1000 baht a night for a pretty 20-23 year old.

Phuket a little more pricier as is Somui.

Have a great time, dont over pay or they will think you are stupid. Have fun.