Sales Staff........

Tatler

Having lived in Asia for over 25 years and i'm used to over barring sales staff, but what the <deleted>*k happens when you walk into robinson in Nakhon Si Thammarat!! They are like flies around shit... i always tell them in Thai that i just looking and i won't shoplift. Is my Thai that bad that they don't understand or is it if they don't give good service they will get into trouble??

It's bad enough getting stared and pointed at like you are a 4 headed buffalo BUT then having to put up with these sales staff that it seems like there is 1 for every square foot of the department store :o:D

My days of shopping are now over and i will stay at home and watch the shopping on the TV and enjoy with a nice cold mick jagger... :D:D

This really does my head in. They are worst in places that sell expensive electrical items such as LCD TV's etc (probably due to higher commisions). I have started to wear my i-pod when shopping in places such as this and pretend I don't know they are there! It helps.

Use sarcasm. They absolutely hate it and soon disappear. When they point out that something is blue, "Geng mark, nong". When they say something is sooay, "thook dtorng".

Great advice :o will try it next time i get dragged into a shopping mall.

Use sarcasm. They absolutely hate it and soon disappear. When they point out that something is blue, "Geng mark, nong". When they say something is sooay, "thook dtorng".

Oh, I like that. But I find it better to ask technical questions (I mostly shop for electronics), and then prove them wrong after they answer it. Usually they recommend something and can't answer more than two questions about it, or compare it to another similar device. Eventually they go away.

However, for me, the annoying staff is a blessing as I shop so much less in Thailand because of it. In the States, you could pretty much guarantee I will make a purchase if I spend time browsing in a store. In Thailand, annoying staff gets me to leave long before I decide to buy something on impulse. It is only when I go in for something specific that I actually make a purchase now (though there have been times I have been so frustrated by staff I have left without making an intended purchase).

As an aside, while in Power Buy recently, no staff bothered me for 15 minutes (a first) and I bought 5,000 baht worth of small stuff I could have done without. I nearly bought a new laptop as well, but the guy came along and started following me around and making inane comments about each device I looked at. All well, I didn't need it anyway.

I spent a pleasant 10 minutes or so before they gave up, weaving in & out & back around the HomePro on Samui. Me & the baby were being followed by about 6 staff at one point, not one of them asked me though if I needed help, just followed at a 5 pace distance. Was so funny to see them shuffle back when i would go back upt he isle to look at something again. :o They finally gave up when a farang guy came in & headed straight to the expensve fridges so they all legged it over to him, in the hope of a juicy commission maybe?

This really does my head in. They are worst in places that sell expensive electrical items such as LCD TV's etc (probably due to higher commisions). I have started to wear my i-pod when shopping in places such as this and pretend I don't know they are there! It helps.

I love it. Add thick black sunglasses and a white cane. :o

Ask a few questions that they can not possibly answer, they soon understand that they loose face when they don't know.

EG. Looking at a fridge.

"And what is the exact enviromental impact of this particular green model compared to this blue one?"

"Oh - could you find the instruction book for me please."