What To Farm?

Issangeorge

We average yields of between 3.5 and 4 tonnes per rai per year over several years (11 month crops). Thai average 06/07: 3.668 tonnes; 07/08: 3.782 tonnes (source: http://www.thaitapiocastarch.org/crop.asp).

My yields above were good but unexceptional in my area (certainly not the best yields obtained locally). They were obtained using only 7-disk harrower and ridger plus maximum of 50kg per rai fertiliser (often much less). I fully expect a minimum of 5 tonne per rai next year by first ploughing with 3-disk harrower and applying 100kg "15-7-18" fertiliser per rai (50kg one month after planting +50kg three months after planting).

I too previously used all parts of the cassava root and tree for cattle feed in the past but no longer raise cattle. For anyone interested in using this for animal feed, all parts must first be sun-dried for 2-3 days after chopping to reduce the cyanide content to a safe level for animal consumption. The leaves are typically 25% protein; the whole ariel part of the tree averages around 20% (the stem being around 17%).

Khonwan

Khonwan - those are very very good figures indeed: tell us about it.

a) what variety?

:o how are you planting - stuck in the ground, flat at an angle?

c) how deep?

d) what spacings?

I’ve had good results from Kasetsart 50 in the past but most of this year’s harvest consisted of Rayong 5, and some Huay Bong. The Huay Bong gave us just over 5t/rai under the same conditions.

20cm stems stuck 10cm into the ground vertically. A small tractor was used to ridge, so the stems were planted at 90cm x 50cm. By all accounts, spacing isn’t too important as research indicates the total weight of tubers per rai is likely to remain the same within a range of popular spacings. The Thai government recommends 80-100cm x 80-100cm.

I don’t believe it really matters much whether the stems are vertical or set at an angle. There’s plenty of conflicting research but I can’t say I’ve noticed a difference. Others in my village have tried laying them flat without success but I think it depends on the soil.

We have loads of experienced cassava farmers here in our small village with good eyes for reasonably good quality stems – I rely on these folks. Nobody here uses a sizer/grader to determine correct thickness.

We use stems with at least 5 buds. We store stems cut from the field for around 30 days, untreated (note for novices: don’t cut these stems into 20cm sections until the day before planting).

Diseases? I’ve never seen any affecting whole crops or even substantial numbers. The heavy rains of last year, however, caused significant damage to many crops in our area. We were not affected since we have no flood-prone fields.

Stems that do not commence growth are, of course, replaced. This tends to be very little if the stems are planted within 30 days of being cut into moist soil or within a few days of rain. We have never used irrigation. We will be planting within the next four weeks.

Keeping the crop weed-free in the first 3-4 months is possibly the most important factor for good yields.

Rgds

Khonwan

• 2 weeks later...
.... Nepal4me could you lead me to more information on getting 30 tonnes per rai yield for cassava. Thanks, Issangeorge

Hi Nepal4me

I also am interested to read further information on this. What is its name? Any links or written info you can scan? From where can the stems be purchased? Cost? Extra fertiliser - how much extra? What's the recommended spacing?

I'd like to try 1-5 rai myself.

Rgds

Khonwan

I will get more details on it. I'm traveling abroad now for the next 2 weeks. I'll ask my wife to try to get some info from her mother, my wife is in BKK and will need to wait till mom comes back to BKK to bring the info. Mom doesn't do sophisticated stuff like the internet or faxing. My wife is taking care of the kids so she can't easily or often go up there. But for sure I'll get the details and will pass them on here.

Nepal4me

Did you manage to find any written info?

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi Khonwan,

Sorry for not getting back to you guys on this. I still don't have much info on it yet.

I think the species of Cassava is called Nongnat น้องแนท. I wil provide the details when I get them, and I'm actively trying to get them..... believe it or not :-)