Importing A 1 Year Old Car

2long

I've heard that if I buy a new car abroad and use it for one year, there are tax exemptions for bring it to (import it permanentally) Thailand. Does anyone know anything about this?

Cheers

If a returning citizen then possibly, but its a minefield and best avoided if you would like to keep your sanity :o

It's actually for a Thai. To be done by himself for himself, after spending that year in Oz. The saving on the car (Porsche Boxster) is massive and he would get to use it there, then import it here for his own use.

It's actually for a Thai. To be done by himself for himself, after spending that year in Oz. The saving on the car (Porsche Boxster) is massive and he would get to use it there, then import it here for his own use.

I am Thai, and I know exactly which tax exemption you are thinking of (and for that one you need to own the car at least 18 months not 1 year BTW), but I am uncertain whether it still exists, as it is difficult to get information on it. I was looking into it to import a hummer for my uncle ("hummer for my uncle"--guess it just doesn't sound right, but I digress) but then I got contrasting information from different sources (welcome to Thai bureacracy) whether you could do it or not. So maybe you can, maybe you can't. If you can, be assured it will be a P I T A.

As with most rules in Thailand, I think it was created for a very small subset of the ruling class. I think its one of those "if you have to ask, it does not include you" style of laws.

I would strongly recommend against anyone trying to import any type of vehicle except for those people with massive cash reserves to waste. The pity is, if you have enough money to buy your way through the bureaucracy, well then you have enough for a vehicle already brought through and you get to save all the hassles of dealing with customs, a special treat in itself.

Glad to hear you made a good effort submaniac and we can finally put that weird loophole to bed.

As with most rules in Thailand, I think it was created for a very small subset of the ruling class. I think its one of those "if you have to ask, it does not include you" style of laws.

I would strongly recommend against anyone trying to import any type of vehicle except for those people with massive cash reserves to waste. The pity is, if you have enough money to buy your way through the bureaucracy, well then you have enough for a vehicle already brought through and you get to save all the hassles of dealing with customs, a special treat in itself.

Glad to hear you made a good effort submaniac and we can finally put that weird loophole to bed.

FORGET IT!!!

There are provisions for returning citizens, after all Thaksin did it when he returned from studying in the US, but as with many things here the web of discretionary approvals and relationships ultimately mean that unless you know the right person it isn't going to happen, or a very senior customs/police man may be in hummer-time at another posters expense.

Regards

PS To be serious if there is an individual within your families social group who has successfully negotiated this, then start there, not with the authorities.

There are provisions for returning citizens, after all Thaksin did it when he returned from studying in the US, but as with many things here the web of discretionary approvals and relationships ultimately mean that unless you know the right person it isn't going to happen, or a very senior customs/police man may be in hummer-time at another posters expense.

Regards

PS To be serious if there is an individual within your families social group who has successfully negotiated this, then start there, not with the authorities.

Yeah I started with the family connections, and I got people in government, but no one has ever done it before, though they know of people who have done it. Thaksin's son drives a Ferrari Modena through the streets of BKK. I KNOW he did not pay full import duty on it (though he could afford it). It is just finding a offical "high up enough" to make it happen.

A detailed document provided by... Thai customs (april 2007).

http://www.customs.go.th/UploadFile/EngNew/N0707001.doc

Take a large breath... :D

You'll appreciate the disclaimer at the end : "This leaflet is not a legal document. It is a guide to current policy only. No decisions on payment of Customs duties and taxes can be made on the vehicle until the vehicle arrives at the port of clearance and all relevant information is given to the Thai Customs Department."

That's the beauty of dirty and corrupted thai customs : it's always a surprise. They have rules, but can never tell you what will be exactly the outcome of these rules... :o

Anyway I remember a report published by a thai university, about the reality on the ground : the figures of imported used cars per year... were just ridiculous.

Anyway. If you try, good luck.

Edited by cclub75

A detailed document provided by... Thai customs (april 2007).

http://www.customs.go.th/UploadFile/EngNew/N0707001.doc

Take a large breath... :D

You'll appreciate the disclaimer at the end : "This leaflet is not a legal document. It is a guide to current policy only. No decisions on payment of Customs duties and taxes can be made on the vehicle until the vehicle arrives at the port of clearance and all relevant information is given to the Thai Customs Department."

That's the beauty of dirty and corrupted thai customs : it's always a surprise. They have rules, but can never tell you what will be exactly the outcome of these rules... :o

Anyway I remember a report published by a thai university, about the reality on the ground : the figures of imported used cars per year... were just ridiculous.

Anyway. If you try, good luck.

There is this one as well http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...PersonalPer#top not dated but seems to be the same thing.

Best bet might be to go to SEC or some other import company and ask them what their fee is to import your car.

Interesting that if you have a one year old workpermit you seem to be allowed to import a car.

And looking at the tables for duty you want a nine year old classic car.

Cheers

Cheers

thanks percy! can you send me the link.

i cant read thai so i can only guess on what is written (still learning thai......slowly)

I already gave you the link.

I cannot read Thai either, but I'm prepared to put some work into figuring out whats going on. You might try the same :o

Cheers