Trang -> Satun -> Langkawi

grtaylor

Not quite the deep south, but I hope someone in this forum might offer some advice. I had planned to fly to Langkawi at Songkran, but Air Asia cancelled the flight last November.

I'm thinking of flying from BKK to Trang, and then going to Satun and getting the ferry. OR, would it be easier to fly to Had Yai and then go to Satun.

Any advice welcome.

G

Not quite the deep south, but I hope someone in this forum might offer some advice. I had planned to fly to Langkawi at Songkran, but Air Asia cancelled the flight last November.

I'm thinking of flying from BKK to Trang, and then going to Satun and getting the ferry. OR, would it be easier to fly to Had Yai and then go to Satun.

Any advice welcome.

G

hmmmmm..... dont know why u opened this Langkawi thing again in a new topic, but for sure its MUCH QUICKER and CHEAPER to fly To Had Yai.

Trang is only being served by the - nowadays quite expensive - NOKAIR, whereas Hat Yai can be reached by THAI, AirAsia, NOK and 1-2-GO. and competition keeps prices lower. Thai AirAsia often has 399++ deals if u book in advance. 1-2-GO has super-cheapo deals as well at the moment.

from Hat Yai airport, you can take a mini-Bus to downtown (80 Baht if I remember that right). this airport-Mini-Bus will pass the Hat-Yai-Mini-Bus terminal after less than 10 minutes ride, from where there are frequent departures not only to SATUN TOWN, but continuing to Thammalang Pier as well.

Trang is more far away and the Mini-Bus departures are less frequent.

Any advice welcome.

G

hmmmmm..... dont know why u opened this Langkawi thing again in a new topic, but for sure its MUCH QUICKER and CHEAPER to fly To Had Yai.

Trang is only being served by the - nowadays quite expensive - NOKAIR, whereas Hat Yai can be reached by THAI, AirAsia, NOK and 1-2-GO. and competition keeps prices lower. Thai AirAsia often has 399++ deals if u book in advance. 1-2-GO has super-cheapo deals as well at the moment.

from Hat Yai airport, you can take a mini-Bus to downtown (80 Baht if I remember that right). this airport-Mini-Bus will pass the Hat-Yai-Mini-Bus terminal after less than 10 minutes ride, from where there are frequent departures not only to SATUN TOWN, but continuing to Thammalang Pier as well.

Thanks for the advice Thailiban. Much appreciated.

I opened it anew because the previous thread was in the airport forum, whereas this is basically also asking about land transport. I didn't think the title/location of the other thread would get me the answer I needed.

Any advice welcome.

G

I opened it anew because the previous thread was in the airport forum, whereas this is basically also asking about land transport. I didn't think the title/location of the other thread would get me the answer I needed.

..... or you could go BKK - Hatyai - Kuala Polis (Malaysia). Kuala Polis is closer to Hatyai than the ferry pier in Satun. From there, ferry ride straight to Langkawi.

Any advice welcome.

G

..... or you could go BKK - Hatyai - Kuala Polis (Malaysia). Kuala Polis is closer to Hatyai than the ferry pier in Satun. From there, ferry ride straight to Langkawi.

that doesnt make much sense, the ferry goes "straight to Langkawi" from Satun as well. And considering the time lost at the land-border, there is nothing saved going to Kuala Perlis (not POLIS, POLIS means "police" in Malay). And I doubt that there is a direct Mini-Bus going from the Hat-Yai MiniBus-station to Kuala Perlis, whereas Busses to Satun and further to Thammalang Pier leave every 30-45 minutes or so and are cheap.

Just make sure u arrive in HatYai early enough to catch the last ferry to Langkawi from Satun.

From TRANG you only have one option, thats the daily NOK flight at 8.30 , which can be quite expensive. right now I checked a weekday-flight and it was 1700++, a total of around 2.600 baht (though at other days, it might be around 1.800 if you are lucky). for that price (2.600) you can already get a discounted online-ticket from THAI INTERNATIONAL to Hat Yai.

oh, and dont change THAI BAHT to RINGGIT at the Satun or Langkawi ferry-stations. they give horrible rates. some moneychangers at the tourism areas give much better rates.

if you dont have ringgit already, change ur Baht to Dollar or Euro at the airport b4 leaving, and then back to Ringgit once u arrived in Malaysia. may save you around 5-10% of your money's value....

Edited by THAILIBAN

Any advice welcome.

G

that doesnt make much sense, the ferry goes "straight to Langkawi" from Satun as well. And considering the time lost at the land-border, there is nothing saved going to Kuala Perlis (not POLIS, POLIS means "police" in Malay). And I doubt that there is a direct Mini-Bus going from the Hat-Yai MiniBus-station to Kuala Perlis, whereas Busses to Satun and further to Thammalang Pier leave every 30-45 minutes or so and are cheap.

Just make sure u arrive in HatYai early enough to catch the last ferry to Langkawi from Satun.

From TRANG you only have one option, thats the daily NOK flight at 8.30 , which can be quite expensive. right now I checked a weekday-flight and it was 1700++, a total of around 2.600 baht (though at other days, it might be around 1.800 if you are lucky). for that price (2.600) you can already get a discounted online-ticket from THAI INTERNATIONAL to Hat Yai.

oh, and dont change THAI BAHT to RINGGIT at the Satun or Langkawi ferry-stations. they give horrible rates. some moneychangers at the tourism areas give much better rates.

if you dont have ringgit already, change ur Baht to Dollar or Euro at the airport b4 leaving, and then back to Ringgit once u arrived in Malaysia. may save you around 5-10% of your money's value....

Well, I always drive and that's the way I go. Going through the border takes all of about three minutes, and then it's a short drive to Kuala Polis. Park the car up, jump on the ferry and next thing, I'm on the island. Quicker than going via Satun for me.

Any advice welcome.

G

After reading all, I've decided I shall take the Had Yai -> Satun option, one way, as I'm planning to go on to Penang or KL afterwards.

Thanks for all the advice.

G