Contract Expiring

Hi,

I am currently living/working in BKK and have been here just over a year. I recently found out that my current contract will not be renewed when it expires in a couple of months. I have a work permit and non-imm multiple entry visa valid until June 2005. I realise that they are linked together and i will have to surrender them when i stop work, correct?

Is there any way that i can apply for a new visa that will allow me to stay in Thailand without having to do visa runs every month. I dont mind having to leave the country or report in at imm every 90 days. What are my visa options to stay longer.

I would love to stay here in Thailand for a longer period of time, the thought of returning to the UK in winter horrifies me. :D I am considering starting some sort of business or other venture, maybe going down the export road. Would i be able to obtain a non-imm multiple entry 1 year visa on the grounds of starting a business or establishing business contacts?

Also is there anything that i should consider getting now whilst i have the non-imm visa. i.e. something hat you cannot get on a tourist visa. I am in the process of getting a thai drivers lisence and house registration documents. What else should i get now whilst i have the chance?

I should probably talk to some of the business advisors here in BKK but i thought you guys could also offer me some first hand advice.

Any help or advice you can give me will be most appreciated.

Cheers,

8ball. :o:D

Hi,

I am currently living/working in BKK and have been here just over a year. I recently found out that my current contract will not be renewed when it expires in a couple of months. I have a work permit and non-imm multiple entry visa valid until June 2005. I realise that they are linked together and i will have to surrender them when i stop work, correct?

yes that is correct, they represent your current stay in thailand.

most likely if you go to a neighboring country to apply for another non immigrant B visa they will want to see some paperwork from an employeer-to-be or a new corporation you started here. if you don't have these required documents, then your best bet will be applying in the UK at the consulate in hull or similiar.

Start looking for that new job now.

If you can find it before you current contract expires, the new employer will probably be able to get your current visa extended based on a "new work permit",

saving you a trip out of the country.

You do not say how old you are, or if you have a Thai wife.

I note the comment about "house registration" which is puzzling.

Can you explain? It may give us other ideas to help you.

Thanks for the replys guys,

I am 35 years old and not married, the house registration bit is for getting the Thai drivers license.

I have had a bit of a chat with the boss of the company and she is quite easy going about the whole thing. She may be prepared to keep me on a temporary/part time or consultancy basis for a few months until i sort out something new. We are gonna have a meeting later this week to sort everything out and see where i stand. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Cheers,

8ball.